• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jessie VS James! A Battlefield of Love and Truth!! (1074)

AuraGuardian448

Aura Guardian
Slightly better than the previous contestants' matches.

Sophocles vs Mina was alright. Was nice that Vikavolt utilized its mandibles to clutch the victory, but finishing off the opponent, who was not seen to take any attacks prior, with a (single) signal beam was stupid. Zap Cannon would have made far more sense. It's also sad how much carrying this Pokemon does for its trainer. Would be cool if Sophocles was more competent.

Kaki vs Acerola was pretty good, may'be. Kaki should have lost that, really. Liked the showcase of Alolan Marowak, though.

Jessie vs James. I already knew there was going to be a change up in the plan mid-battle. It's so like these characters to do it. It was 100% inevitable and predictable. James is also typically the more competent battler of the group, so him winning over Jessie isn't entirely unrealistic, but the battle execution was pretty bad.

Lilie vs Gladion. Disappointments in how quickly Lilie decided when to use her z moves and the timing of it. Like geez, the least you could have done was use every move in your Pokemon's moveset before settling on the z move. Using it immediately after the effects of hail disappeared was also jarring. Everything else was good enough, especially the use of hail and Vulpix's snow veil ability. Totally inline with Lilie's character.

Also, Muko.. Rowlett's reaction was quite interesting once it found out Satoshi was going to face Hau. It's stupid, though, because it had no idea if it was even going to fight its rival. Anyway, it was clearly fired up, but then it exited the building and communicated with a Wingull. At first I was wondering what the hell was going on, but it looked like it sent it a message.

Next episode has Satoshi vs Hau, Kaki vs Sophocles, Gladio vs James, and Guzma vs Suiren. Ha, literally all the left screen participants should win their match-ups. (Talk about foreshadowing. And yes Suiren, your mary-sue-like trait is not saving you this time. There's no way in hell.)

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
The aerial battle Vikavolt vs. Ribombee was pretty epic.

I knew Kiawe would send out Marowak to make it Ghost on Ghost. I did not expect that Totem Gengar from before to show up. Great continuity

I was surprised the Gladion vs. Lillie battle was so short but I guess it establishes Gladion's power

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
When you have freaking Kiawe vs Acerola get 3x more screentime than Lillie vs Gladion (a battle between two very important characters of the series), then not really sure what you can really expect from this so called "League" afterwards.

The writers are just honestly doing their best to show how badly they can actually screw up in this League. ;)

Actually no, the reason it was 3x shorter is bc they were establishing Gladion's power and Lillie's suckiness, whereas Kiawe vs. Acerola is a closer match as both are experienced.

Besides, even if it was somehow impossible to develop their relationship, it is not like Team Rocket HAD to fight each other. Musashi could have fought against Mina, while Kojiro could have fought against Sophocles for example.

Yes, that way BOTH members of TR could have been eliminated in the Round of 16, not wasting a QF match on a TR member.

So is Bewear already aware of his favorite people in the world tricking him?

Bewear is female.

Surprised they took out all the game characters so quickly except Guzma, Gladion, and Hau.

Every character in this league is a game character.

Well the fact that a 'favourite' like Illima, someone who even possessed Mega Evolution, was easily dealt with by Guzma, Lana honestly shouldn't even be allowed to last 2 mins. But ofc, being a main character and all, they'll probably want her to get a decent showing in, no matter how undeserved or unrealistic it might be.

No, this makes perfect sense bc it shows that Ilima is all talk and no game. He's a Gilderoy Lockhart. We only hear about all these accomplishments, but have seen none of them. When a slight setback happens (Eevee being injured) he doesn't know what to do because he sucks, just like when the Chamber of Secrets opened.

Aerial battles tend to be some of my favorites.

Yes, but in the all-time hierarchy of aerial battles, this ranks SO low below classics like Unfezant vs. Talonflame and Staraptor vs. Honchkrow.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Didn't like how Jessie and James were now battling each other because the winner seemed too predictable and watching them both go at it all seriously seemed out of character of them. The battle itself wasn't very good either because it lacked complexity.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Didn't like how Jessie and James were now battling each other because the winner seemed too predictable and watching them both go at it all seriously seemed out of character of them. The battle itself wasn't very good either because it lacked complexity.
Welcome to the Alola League.

Where its only requisite to enter is literally, "have a Pokémon and you're good!"

Red and Blue

I think most people going in thought Jessie would be the winner because unlike James she actually had two Pokemon on hand

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I was surprised that Jessie used Wobbuffet in this fight and not Mimikyu I also kinda expected Mareanie to evolve in either this episode or the on where he battle Gladion.Everyone knew Gladion would beat Lillie and that Kiawe and Sophocles would win their matches

Yay Vikavolt and Sophocles won!
Kiawe vs Acerola was a great battle, Rapooh was doing so good and then it lost. They both battled well. Feels like they dissed Acerola.
Bewear and Stufful having fun in the sauna. Thought they would come and hijack Team Rocket in the middle of the battle.

Red and Blue

Was genuinely shocked that Sophocles and James won their matches. Out of all the matches before the exhibition match those two were the only ones who I had no clue would win

Last edited:

RafaSceptile

Well, after watching a video about reviewing all the Pokémon episodes in 10 words or less, I decided to do the same myself, when the discussion about some episodes returns in its respective thread.

"James and Mareanie, the true bond phenomenon"
Episode: 6/10

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Then again, this league lets the neighbor's dog participate, no strings attached.
*SIGH*

"Announcing the first ever Alola League! To participate you need to have beaten all four Grand Trials."
THE DAY OF THE LEAGUE
"Wait what do you mean we only have two participants?!"

Having more entry requirements would not magically bring more skilled trainers into existence. Alola didn't have an established battling scene. Of course the inaugural League would be open to everyone.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
"Anyone with a Z-Ring and at least one Z-Crystal can enter the league."

There goes 90% of the chaff without a needless battle royale that showcases how out of their league 90% of the main cast is against people that can actually battle

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Having more entry requirements would not magically bring more skilled trainers into existence. Alola didn't have an established battling scene.
Blame the writers for making everyone much more into comedy comedy that only one native remotely cares about doing the trials, besides the foreigner who barely cared but by all means should have cared much more.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
The writers pretty much set her up against her brother to immediately lose. Even then, she wouldn't have lasted long unless she conveniently fought Jessie and/or James, only to get taken down by even Sophocles.
Funny thing is, neither Lillie nor Gladion's pokemon took much damage, with umbreon shrugging off a Z-Move like it was nothing and Shiron not having a scratch on her after Lillie caught her

Plus, Shiron never actually fainted, so...why was this battle called off?