• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jigoku Shoujo anyone?

Ever watched it?

• Yes I did

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Nope, But it sounds interesting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No and I don"t care

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Erm whats Jigoku Shoujo again?

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

combine2007

Most episodes are self-contained short stories in which the series narrates the suffering of a different individual caused by one or more antagonists. A website known as ???? (Hell Correspondence or Hotline to Hell) may only be accessed at midnight by one who harbors a desire for revenge against their tormentor. Should someone submit the name of someone against whom they have a grudge, the Jigoku Sh?jo (Hell Girl) will offer them a straw doll with a red string wound about its neck. If the string is pulled, she will ferry the target of the revenge straightaway to Hell, however the client agrees to a pact where those who request her intervention will also be sent to hell at the end of their natural lives.

During each story, the protagonists' dramas are explained in detail from the start of their grudges, through the escalation of their torment until it becomes unbearable and they resort to accessing the Hell Correspondence website. The contents of the site are only a text: "?????????????" (??????????????) (Anata no urami, harashimasu.) (We will take revenge, on your behalf.)", a text box where the grudge's object must be written, and a "??" (Send) button. Some time after the post, they are visited by Enma Ai, a young red-eyed girl wearing a traditional sailor school uniform (usually the dark version used only in winter months). She hands them a straw doll, which is actually one of her assistants, with a red string tied to its neck. In the first season, the doll is always black, because it is always the same assistant, but in the second season, the doll may also be red or dark blue, depending on which assistant it is. She then tells them that if they want their vengeance to be delivered, they must remove the string from the doll, and their enemies will be immediately taken to Hell. A black crest-shaped mark will appear on the protagonists' chests, which serves as a constant reminder that once their lives come to an end, they must give compensation for Ai's service by having their own souls also sent to Hell.

Ai is aided by her three assistants: Ichimoku Ren, a young man in casual clothes who takes the form of the blue straw doll; Hone-Onna, a woman wearing a kimono with the obi (sash) tied in front which signifies she is a prostitute and takes the form of the red straw doll; and Wany?d?, an old man wearing a hat and, at times, a red scarf, who takes the form of the black straw doll. When not actively assisting Ai, the three remain in their straw doll forms. The trio help Ai investigate the true nature of their clients, and also present the victims with the sins they have been accused of before Ai appears to ferry them to hell.

In episode 8 of the first season, two recurring characters are introduced: A journalist named Shibata Hajime - a former scandal-hunter/blackmailer who turned to investigating the stories involving the Jigoku Sh?jo; and his daughter Tsugumi. After an encounter with Enma Ai, Tsugumi starts to have visions of what Ai sees and thus the two become more and more involved in Ai's matters. Hajime doesn't agree with Ai's methods to deliver vengeance for her clients, and tries to stop those who contacted Jigoku Sh?jo from using her service with Tsugumi's help.

In season two, the major plot line revolves around Takuma Kurebayashi, a boy who is blamed by his townsfolk for causing disappearances around the town, which was actually caused by the townsfolk who used Jigoku Ts?shin.

I like this anime but the repetive parts can get boring. It has a creepy atmosphere. Its pretty good.

~Heaven Help Us~

i havent watched all of it but i did watch most of the episodes,and i watched them in spanish >.< but its quite good and the intro song is so awesome.

Cutiebunny

Frosty Fashionista
Originally, I was looking forward to the anime release of Jigoku Shoujo. A few months prior to its release, 'Nakayoshi' had featured the manga as a small featurette. I like the idea of a girl who could be summoned by anyone to seek vengence, even if it cost the user their soul.

However, a good portion of JS features the same "lather, rinse, repeat" pattern. A tragedy happens and the victim can see no way to improve their situation other than go on the website at 12 am to summon her. Enma and co appear, do something nasty to the perpetrator and another candle representing the soul she took appears in her collection.

I still haven't gotten past the first few episodes, but perhaps it is time that I revisit the anime.

combine2007

Yeah but it stops getting repetive after the 15 episode or Season 2, I don"t really remember

invisible-chan

ポッキ の かみ
OMG! I love Jigoku Shoujo! I've been obsessed ever since my friend introduced me to it. I heard that someone created an actual hell link. Ippen shinde miru.

LittleRedRodeo

Candy Apple Red
I enjoy Jigoku Shoujo. True to what Cutiebunny said, the series does have a lot of boring repititiveness, especially in the beginning. I remember thinking, "Is this all there is to it?"

It isn't until episode 8 that we start seeing something different, something I'd been waiting for actually.
Misuse of the Hell Correspondence website--Enma is summoned for selfish motives.
In episode 9, we come across other recurring characters besides Enma and crew. I haven't finished the first season, but I do know that in the 2nd season, the backstories of all of Enma's companions are explored. There's also, apparently, an episode where use of the Hell Correspondence website is misused in a vicious cycle of backstabbings. Really looking forward to that one, though I'll patiently watch the rest of the episodes.

Actually, I'd say that Jigoku Shoujo's biggest flaw is that it can also be easily described as "Death Note" + "Ringu." But I enjoy it anyway.

Midori Chi

Miss Chi Motosuwa
I've seen the first 8 episodes of it, but it got boring. I'll continue watching it eventually. I did like it. It's creepy, yet beautiful. : D

Last edited: