• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

JN Ash kept his SM personality?

Since the beginning of BW, each series seems to have an Ash almost completely different from the previous one, but it seems that this time it is not like that and the writers found a stable personality for Ash, considering he's basically the same as SM, imo

Do you think JN Ash is different from SMAsh?

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I think this Ash is combination of XY and SM Ash.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The current Satoshi isn't that similar to SM Satoshi from my perspective. Other than him getting overexcited every so often, but that was pretty standard for Satoshi in all series, not just SM. I'm just relieved that they've kept his face faults to a minimum so far.

Morax

King of heroes
Why does it matter what he's like? Ash is a blatant rehash of goku, that's all there is to it.

Watershuriken97

Why does it matter what he's like? Ash is a blatant rehash of goku, that's all there is to it.
Their goofy attitude outside of battle, and serious in battle sure, same can be said for many shonen characters tho? Just like 80% of action movie heroes in western culture, so i don't get why Blatantly is the word you used.

And unlike goku, i feel like ash has a lot more emotional/relationship factors to him, even though this season his team interaction has been next to non existent...

Morax

King of heroes
same can be said for many shonen characters tho?
Of course but ash is the least interesting out of them. He's got no backstory, no inspirations, no important relationships, no arch nemesis etc. He's just a guy who cares about pokemon, that's all he is.
i feel like ash has a lot more emotional/relationship factors to him
Yeah only with his pokemon. His interactions and bonds with the humans around him are barely developed.

( I don't want to derail another thread with my controversial opinions so PM me if you want to continue this conversation :p )

Watershuriken97

Of course but ash is the least interesting out of them. He's got no backstory, no inspirations, no important relationships, no arch nemesis etc. He's just a guy who cares about pokemon, that's all he is.

Yeah only with his pokemon. His interactions and bonds with the humans around him are barely developed.

( I don't want to derail another thread with my controversial opinions so PM me if you want to continue this conversation :p )
Hahaha nono it's totally fine to have that opinion, we're still talking about the personality :p To me, while ash does have a similar goal every season, and another rival/companion each season with similar interactions, there is always that slight difference, like ash being the group leader in kalos as opposed to brock,cilan,... or a classmate system in SM. He's not pushing any boundaries or even scratching the surfice of what they could do with his character, but the slight moments (like stoutland death or saying goodbye to charizard), do give ash more meat on his bones then goku's 'i want to get stronger, and this arc i want to get stronger than this specific person'.But again, nothing super special at all

DatsRight

BW to SM Ash kinda felt like a trial and error era of trying to make Ash more colourful now his development had waxed and waned his original personality so much, trying to find a balance of him being fallible but still competent where it matters.

JN Ash does kinda feel like the midpoint of XY and SM Ash, keeping his competent streak and relatively dialled down humour, but still being expressive and comical enough that he isn't one note. There's still a focus on laid back chemistries in JN and while Ash is LESS of a buffoon, he still isn't really on pedestal, humiliating things can happen to him abiding by his flaws (eg. getting shocked by Yamper for getting too close, or all of Goh's bugs embracing Goh but mummifying and torturing Ash).

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
This thread is the extract problem I have with Ash staying the main character. Why not just switch the MC every now and often if you’re going to just alter his personality anyway?
This and I highly doubt the show would flop if Ash is replaced since it doesn't rely on tv ratings and only exists as an advertisement to the franchise anyways lol.

Morax

King of heroes
This thread is the extract problem I have with Ash staying the main character. Why not just switch the MC every now and often if you’re going to just alter his personality anyway?
Exactly. As long as the protagonists are connected in some way there won't be no issues, look at jojo.