• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

JN Team is much more powerful than the reserves?

JN Team vs Reserves

• Yes, even stronger than Charizard, Infernape, etc.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • No, other Pokémon like Greninja, Sceptile are even stronger than JN Team

Votes: 50 75.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sceptilee

Is it his strongest team yet? Yes, each pokemon is individually quite strong.

Is it his strongest team possible? Definitely not.

It's true that Sirfetch'd and Dracovish have E4 feats but I still think they're below Ash's previous Aces. Base Gengar too, although Dynamax pulls it above. Dragonite might be on par with his other Aces at best but definitely can't best them, and the poor thing has been on a bit of a losing streak of late although atleast it's shown it can take a few hits. Lucario is weird, that one-shot of Dynamax Duraladon is insane but the same Duraladon gave a good fight with Leon's Charizard, the same one that destroyed Alain's MegaZardX just now at base form, and said MegaZardX defeated the same Ash Greninja who toyed with Lucario in it's base form. So yeah, there's no real way to make sense of how strong it is with such an unrealistic feat. I guess we'll see who does what as the tournament progresses and new feats come in but I definitely think his older pokemon could do the same given the chance.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
Sadly yes apart from maybe Greninja
It's still Ash's worst developed Team in the anime's history so I'm not sure how much of an accomplishment it really is

I fear that Journeys made legendary feats useless when they became easily to catch and even some to beat.
Darkrai isn't even a Legendary tho. It's a Mythical

Last edited:

Gingertail24

If they manage to beat Leon, then most likely yes. But power scaling in the anime is very inconsistent. I'm sure if Ash used some of his reserves in the Leon fight they would still win some battles. So there really is no 100% definitive way to know

bmw9413

Ash's JN team is the weirdest and most random Pokemon team he's ever assembled and the fact that they're competing in the PWC instead of his OG, AG, DP, XY and BW teams is really insulting.
(I didn't include his Alola team because they're forever doomed to stay with Kukui and we'll never see them outside of their region)

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Ash's JN team is the weirdest and most random Pokemon team he's ever assembled and the fact that they're competing in the PWC instead of his OG, AG, DP, XY and BW teams is really insulting.

is the insulting part the fact that they are "new" or the fact that you just don't like them in general?

There are pokemon people like, and those people hate, i get the feeling that if Ash was running with pokemon people liked regardless of being new, they would defend them no matter how wrongs they made.

Cause if it's the former, Greninja already went there, since let's not forget that it was able to knock a champion's ace around, even if it wasn't able to completely win the shock of that battle still echo's to this day, as that was the moment that proved champion's can be vulnerable after how long they were portrayed as invincible.

People didn't exactly cry fowl about Greninja using it's special power to do it either, but the point remains it was able to do this within the same region and seasons it was raised in, so hating his current team seems like a double standard to me if it's about them being "fresh blood".

Heck, Pikachu, Lucario and Gengar may have gimmicks, but Ash and them earned the right to use them, and with others using them he can't be faulted for it.

If it's because you just don't like them...get over it, cause i'm sure if Ash was using something you liked instead, you would defend said pokemon no matter the faults it has.

I won't deny the faults of his current team, but the only true fault I see is lack of camaraderie between each other for the most part, I don't care if they've been training off-screen, because if the alternative for their training is to fight against TR all the time like most of Ash's earlier teams, how is that any better off in retrospect, especially since TR isn't even using regular pokemon this series either?

is the insulting part the fact that they are "new" or the fact that you just don't like them in general?

There are pokemon people like, and those people hate, i get the feeling that if Ash was running with pokemon people liked regardless of being new, they would defend them no matter how wrongs they made.

Cause if it's the former, Greninja already went there, since let's not forget that it was able to knock a champion's ace around, even if it wasn't able to completely win the shock of that battle still echo's to this day, as that was the moment that proved champion's can be vulnerable after how long they were portrayed as invincible.

People didn't exactly cry fowl about Greninja using it's special power to do it either, but the point remains it was able to do this within the same region and seasons it was raised in, so hating his current team seems like a double standard to me if it's about them being "fresh blood".

Heck, Pikachu, Lucario and Gengar may have gimmicks, but Ash and them earned the right to use them, and with others using them he can't be faulted for it.

If it's because you just don't like them...get over it, cause i'm sure if Ash was using something you liked instead, you would defend said pokemon no matter the faults it has.

I won't deny the faults of his current team, but the only true fault I see is lack of camaraderie between each other for the most part, I don't care if they've been training off-screen, because if the alternative for their training is to fight against TR all the time like most of Ash's earlier teams, how is that any better off in retrospect, especially since TR isn't even using regular pokemon this series either?
“Ash earned the right to use gimmicks”
Pikachu- DEM
Lucario- Is somehow powerful out of nowhere
Gengar- just was fed mushrooms

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
They're kind of random.

3 Kanto mons (two whom he captured fully evolved)
1 Sinnoh mon (ultimate marketing shillmon who found his way to him as an egg...in Kanto)
2 Galar mons (not one of them is a starter, and both were obtained at strange times: one was just picking fights at a bridge (that was almost half an episode about something entirely different), and the other is a Frankenstein monster)

Then there's the slightly different picture.

(Essentially)
2 Fighting-types
2 Dragon-types
1 Flying-type
1 Electric-type
Gengar

It's not like his previous teams when he had some nice combinations that had one or two oddballs. His Alola team was made up of beasts (and Rowlet). His Kalos team had Hawlucha as the weirdo (...who did much better than Goodra and Noivern). His Unova team at least had all the starters (who sucked at different degrees). His JN team kind of fell on Ash's lap from very random sources.

In fact, I'd wager Ash got Lucario because he was isolated from getting another starter. Writers don't want a starter and Lucario pulling too much weight together. Only one of them gets super special treatment.

There's also the disparity that is JN giving more spotlight to trainers who match the region and/or types Ash has in hand, which severely reduces variety (on that note, lol Alola). His upcoming fight with Steven, for example, wouldn't surprise me if it turned into another Marnie-like quality battle because Steven doesn't match a region or a type Ash has in his team.

Last edited:

ShadowForce720

Pikachu- DEM
With Lucario he literally had to work with it to find it’s Mega Stone and had to then take have Lucario take it from Gurkinn’s Alakazam. It also had to train with Ash’s Greninja to boost its aura.

As for Gengar he and Gengar literally had to search for all 3 mushrooms and then over come obstacles to acquire them.

With Pikachu Ash and Pikachu literally had to beat Tapu Koko before they gained permanentl access to it, sure you might not like it but it isn’t DEM.

So no, Ash has earned the right to use gimmicks.

ShadowForce720

I like how a very murderous island that conveniently had a Mega Stone in it resurfaced near Shalour City just when Ash randomly decided to visit Korrina decking a Quilladin.
You can say that about a lot of things. I mean if you read, watch, or play practically anything with a plot practically almost all fictional works have a lot of things conveniently happening.

diakyu

Yes, people can cope about the writing all they want, but every single member of the JN is elite 4 tier and is gonna be champion tier in the coming months. They will be surpassing trainers his reserves could never dream of beating in the past.

Now there is probably a better comp team he could make including his reserves, but that team would still have 2 or 3 journeys mons in it besides Pikachu.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
You can say that about a lot of things. I mean if you read, watch, or play practically anything with a plot practically almost all fictional works have a lot of things conveniently happening.
I like how that conveniently happened when the officials notified Ash that he was conveniently up against Bea again, and Lucario mastered Mega Evolution right away conveniently.

Conveniently.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
This is team is far too OP, to sum it up. As a team they are definitely his strongest one yet, to the point they seem to rival the power of his best aces. What makes this team fall flat for me is the fact that they got to champion-level strength so fast despite their clear lack of development due to being the new kids on the block, Pikachu and Lucario hogging the spotlight, and loads of type redundancy due to the “mirror match” nature of the battles where the writers force Ash to mostly only battle trainers who share his Pokémon’s type. I am not happy that such inexperienced Pokémon are the ones that are going to make him become World Monarch, while many of his old Pokémon that didn’t get proper development are left with nothing to do but to train the super OP newcomers. The power scaling in JN is in fact way too forced.

Last edited:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Pikachu- DEM

Greninja - somehow taps it's fanfiction level power up while being a frogadier to beat Olympia, then almost immediately goes into it after evolving in most if not all of the battles it was involved in, never really getting a chance to truly prove itself in it's base form.

plus conflicting stories on this special mode change, a powerful psychic saying it's something never seen, yet the ninja village had it on record that a Greninja had done it before.

finally where was the payout?

They're kind of random.

I could say the same about some of his past teams and choices made with them.
3 Kanto mons (two whom he captured fully evolved)
1 Sinnoh mon (ultimate marketing shillmon who found his way to him as an egg...in Kanto)
2 Galar mons (not one of them is a starter, and both were obtained at strange times: one was just picking fights at a bridge (that was almost half an episode about something entirely different), and the other is a Frankenstein monster)

Then there's the slightly different picture.

(Essentially)
2 Fighting-types
2 Dragon-types
1 Flying-type
1 Electric-type
Gengar

It's not like his previous teams when he had some nice combinations that had one or two oddballs. His Alola team was made up of beasts (and Rowlet). His Kalos team had Hawlucha as the weirdo (...who did much better than Goodra and Noivern). His Unova team at least had all the starters (who sucked at different degrees). His JN team kind of fell on Ash's lap from very random sources.

This team still feels complete and isn't a four mon squad, and isn't underdeveloped like the jouto team or overloaded like the unova team, and if we're going to bring up type overlaps, the only 2 times where that didn't happen were hoenn and alola

Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos had it worse than now.

The power scaling in JN is in fact way too forced.

If we're getting technical here, power scaling started in kalos, maybe not as severe as Alola or JN, but that's were it began.

Noivern somehow being able to damage a legendary right after evolving despite having little battle experience, and of course Greninja knocking Diantha's mega gardevoir around, mode change or not to do that when it had only been raised in kalos and not be with Ash for a longer period of time is saying something.

Xuxuba

This team is naturally talented for sure, they have to be in order for this series' format to work. They also have the advantage of being trained by a much more experienced Ash, who seems to be more methodical about his training.

That said, nothing is to say the aces wouldn't be able to achieve some of these same feats as of now, especially when the show already estabilished they tend to do well on their own, developing their skills much further even without the help of a trainer.

And let's be honest the team's power depends a lot on whatever is convenient for the writers. I definetly don't think Ash should be able to beat Champions with a team made up solely of pokémon he just caught, no matter how naturally talented they are, at least a few reserves should've been used. For whatever reason the writers became so against reserves, now all of these absurdly strong opponents have to be dealt with the same pokémon, which makes me wonder where the talent ends and where the plot armor actually begins.

Last edited:

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
And let's be honest the team's power depends a lot on whatever is convenient for the writers. I definetly don't think Ash should be able to beat Champions with a team made up solely of pokémon he just caught, no matter how naturally talented they are, at least a few reserves should've been used. For whatever reason the writers became so against reserves, now all of these absurdly strong opponents have to be dealt with the same pokémon, which makes me wonder where the talent ends and where the plot armor actually begins.
Reserves were poorly handled in Sinnoh. That might have permanently scarred the writers, or because the subsequent series all had formats that warranted only using the new team for that saga like a soft reboot echoing Gen 1 (Unova) or fitting with local culture (Alola). Kalos is the only one without much explanation, but Journeys had a massive missed opportunity now that they’ve been reduced to being training partners for the super OP newcomers.