• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

JN Team is much more powerful than the reserves?

JN Team vs Reserves

• Yes, even stronger than Charizard, Infernape, etc.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • No, other Pokémon like Greninja, Sceptile are even stronger than JN Team

Votes: 50 75.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
The strongest Mons are the ones that the plot wants to be. Greninja is leagues above Lucario so it's clear that continued PWC training means nothing in the long run besides this series' narrative

They're badly developed, anwaysy

Eevee903

You are awesome!
The strongest Mons are the ones that the plot wants to be. Greninja is leagues above Lucario so it's clear that continued PWC training means nothing in the long run besides this series' narrative

They're badly developed, anwaysy
Nobody can deny that. Like they barley got character development. Only learn new moves and appear once in a while. Heck it says alot that Dragonite didnt had a PWC match between JN065 and JN109. Dracovish is equally worse. Like Dragonite, Dracovish, Gengar dont really get development in personality since they have been captured by Ash.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
And let's be honest the team's power depends a lot on whatever is convenient for the writers. I definetly don't think Ash should be able to beat Champions with a team made up solely of pokémon he just caught, no matter how naturally talented they are, at least a few reserves should've been used. For whatever reason the writers became so against reserves, now all of these absurdly strong opponents have to be dealt with the same pokémon, which makes me wonder where the talent ends and where the plot armor actually begins.

I won't disagree with this, but power scaling has been a thing since Kalos, this series only made it more apparent.

Like they barley got character development. Only learn new moves and appear once in a while. Heck it says alot that Dragonite didnt had a PWC match between JN065 and JN109. Dracovish is equally worse. Like Dragonite, Dracovish, Gengar dont really get development in personality since they have been captured by Ash.

Still better to me than when your only purpose for appearing is to help with the daily plot and blast off team rocket as your sole source of training.

Xuxuba

I won't disagree with this, but power scaling has been a thing since Kalos, this series only made it more apparent.
I think you might be confused as to what power scaling actually means. It's just a method of determining a character's strenght by comparing it to another character. In a show about battles, it's hard (maybe even impossible) not to have power scaling. Now if you are talking about bad power scaling, then that is definetly not something that started with Kalos, as Pikachu was being defeated by a recently caught Snivy just 1 series ago. I do think Noivern being able to do that much damage to Zapdos was a bit of a stretch, but i don't think the AG vs Gardevoir fight was that absurd, because Diantha was just testing them out, for the most part they were dominating that battle even without ME and Gardevoir wasn't actually knocked out, it just flinched and knelt, which is still a huge accomplishment, but not really comparable to actually defeating a champion.

DayQuil95

This might be unpopular, but how is infernape stronger than the likes of Lucario?
Most people see Infernape as being relative to Base Greninja, and with Blaze being such an immense power-up for Infernape, it would probably be enough to level the playing grounds against Mega Lucario.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I think you might be confused as to what power scaling actually means. It's just a method of determining a character's strenght by comparing it to another character.

Except that all i'm seeing is that this is the new excuse for why people don't like his current team, when it's clearly happened with other teams as well.
In a show about battles, it's hard (maybe even impossible) not to have power scaling. Now if you are talking about bad power scaling, then that is definetly not something that started with Kalos, as Pikachu was being defeated by a recently caught Snivy just 1 series ago.

That's not power scaling, that's called stupid resetting because clearly Zekrom did more than just take away Pikachu's electrical powers, even after returning them it did clearly struggle early on in unova as a result, not really getting back into true form until the burgh fight and in full by the regions end.

You may be right about it starting earlier though, thinking back there were some cases of it happening in earlier regions too.

I do think Noivern being able to do that much damage to Zapdos was a bit of a stretch, but i don't think the AG vs Gardevoir fight was that absurd, because Diantha was just testing them out, for the most part they were dominating that battle even without ME and Gardevoir wasn't actually knocked out, it just flinched and knelt, which is still a huge accomplishment, but not really comparable to actually defeating a champion.

It got knocked onto it's back on the ground pretty hard, and this was after she was forced to mega evolve it, which was also noted during the battle as a big thing because it meant she was forced to take it more seriously than just a simple "Test"

Also, yes Greninja did not win, but what it did in that battle put effectively put a huge chink into the thinking that champions couldn't be touched because Greninja did more than just touch MG in that fight.

If Greninja was able to do that in it's home series, then I do not understand why his current pokemon can't do it, especially when Ash wasn't hit by the reset button this series because he won Alola's league.

getting to fight at a higher level, i would think his pokemon need to reflect this new or reserves.

ZarudeSandstorm

They are not. Pikachu beats Main ace reserves( Sceptile ,Charizard, Greninja etc) who beat Aura powered Mega Lucario who beats other minor reserves( Corphish,Kingler, Hawlucha,Swellow,Gliscor, Melmetal etc) who beat rest of JN team. And rest of JN team only beats reserves that didnt train that much( like Muk, maybe Goodra, maybe Scraggy).

ShadowForce720

They are not. Pikachu beats Main ace reserves( Sceptile ,Charizard, Greninja etc) who beat Aura powered Mega Lucario who beats other minor reserves( Corphish,Kingler, Hawlucha,Swellow,Gliscor, Melmetal etc) who beat rest of JN team. And rest of JN team only beats reserves that didnt train that much( like Muk, maybe Goodra, maybe Scraggy).
That doesn’t really seem like an accurate power scale heck I do think that the JN team members are a lot stronger then you give them credit for.

Look I get that some don’t like how the JN team has been handled and yeah they could have been handled better. However by the end of the series the series they will be some of Ash’s strongest mons regardless of how people may feel about it just do to the nature of having to face stronger opponents.

ZarudeSandstorm

That doesn’t really seem like an accurate power scale heck I do think that the JN team members are a lot stronger then you give them credit for.

Look I get that some don’t like how the JN team has been handled and yeah they could have been handled better. However by the end of the series the series they will be some of Ash’s strongest mons regardless of how people may feel about it just do to the nature of having to face stronger opponents.
You kinda seem uneducated on the matter, however: In BW Axew and Scraggy were shown on the par with their power. Scraggy was born in BW. In JN Axew evolved into Haxorus and became Champion level.From ( like weak gym level) to JN : Champion level, so in 10 years. What that does that mean? That means that reserves that Ash owns that trained are even stronger than Haxorus according to JN writing. So this has nothing to do with disliking and liking any team. We are not talking about bias here. We are talking on how team can train, according to JN standards, for 1-2 years and get to champion level, so can reserves and even more by that, in 10-20 years. So this representation that Pikachu > Charizard, Sceptile, Incineroar, A-G, Infernape( who else is main ace reserve, maybe Heracross in Johto, Krookodile in BW) > Aura powered Mega Lucario > Gliscor, Gible, Hawlucha, probably Glaile, Melmetal, probably Quilava, Corphish, Tauros, Kingler,Lycanroc etc > Sirfetch'd, Gengar,Dracovish, Dragonite > reserves that didn't train probably like Muk, Scraggy idk who else doesn't train in Ash's reserves team at all or that much, is accurate based on JN series.

Last edited:

Gingertail24

You kinda seem uneducated on the matter, however: In BW Axew and Scraggy were shown on the par with their power. Scraggy was born in BW. In JN Axew evolved into Haxorus and became Champion level.From ( like weak gym level) to JN : Champion level, so in 10 years. What that does that mean? That means that reserves that Ash owns that trained are even stronger than Haxorus according to JN writing. So this has nothing to do with disliking and liking any team. We are not talking about bias here. We are talking on how team can train, according to JN standards, for 1-2 years and get to champion level, so can reserves and even more by that, in 10-20 years. So this representation that Pikachu > Charizard, Sceptile, Incineroar, A-G, Infernape( who else is main ace reserve, maybe Heracross in Johto, Krookodile in BW) > Aura powered Mega Lucario > Gliscor, Gible, Hawlucha, probably Glaile, Melmetal, probably Quilava, Corphish, Tauros, Kingler,Lycanroc etc > Sirfetch'd, Gengar,Dracovish, Dragonite > reserves that didn't train probably like Muk, Scraggy idk who else doesn't train in Ash's reserves team at all or that much, is accurate based on JN series.
Your trying to use realistic timeline in an anime where ash is 10 for 25 years. Idk if that's gonna work.

This honestly feels like people don't want to accept that ash in team will be or already is one of the strongest teams because it doesn't make sense. And yes I agree it's inconsistent and doesn't make sense. But you think the anime really cares about that? Look what they did to Alain. They made dracovish take out a Champion level pokemon it's very first battle. I don't think any of ash past mons have done something like that

You guys are wasting time trying to put logic in the power scaling. Cause there is none

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Tbh power aside, the issue is that none of the mons really had much of a story, and they barely even exist aside from battle episodes (not even for gags) so it's hard to be invested in their fights

Gingertail24

Tbh power aside, the issue is that none of the mons really had much of a story, and they barely even exist aside from battle episodes (not even for gags) so it's hard to be invested in their fights
Gengar definitely had a backstory,but I feel it was so disconnected from his personality and battling that it ultimately doesn't matter