• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Joey Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ris_Grestar

Oh, yeah, um...Lemme post the rules as I know them:

1. Your name must be Joey.
2. You must have a Rattata throughout the whole game. No other Pokémon can be used (except for use of HMs).
3. You are not allowed to evolve Rattata.
4. You may teach Rattata any applicable TMs.
5. You cannot use cheats of any kind.
6. You may attempt this challenge on any Pokémon version/game.
7. You may only have your Rattata with you while challenging the Elite Four.

call911rightnow

No, actually I haven't. It sounds much harder than a Nuzlocke challenge, so I suppose I will try it. Wonder if Crystal will be harder to play in Challenge mode than Gold...

Ris_Grestar

No, actually I haven't. It sounds much harder than a Nuzlocke challenge, so I suppose I will try it. Wonder if Crystal will be harder to play in Challenge mode than Gold...

lol I don't know. First time for me, too, so I can't compare. But I am playing on Crystal.

Why can't you evolve your Rattata? Joey did.

Did he? Huh. I wasn't aware of that.

Though I didn't make the rules, so I can't say for sure why they are as they are. But I think it's a cool concept, sticking with the scrappy little rat until the end. :p

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I've heard of this challenge, but I don't have any interest in it. Even though the fact my Silver version can't save anymore shouldn't hinder it for me (because I can't ever bring myself to start over a save file), I just don't think I'll do a very good job at it xD. It sounds fun, because challenges are fun, but it doesn't sound like something I would do personally. And I had an over-powered Pikachu on Yellow when I first played it.

Ris_Grestar

So I looked it up, and yeah, Joey did evolve his Rattata...

So I'll go one step beyond and not evolve my little Rattata. Besides, I've grown to love him <3 lol

I've heard of this challenge, but I don't have any interest in it. Even though the fact my Silver version can't save anymore shouldn't hinder it for me (because I can't ever bring myself to start over a save file), I just don't think I'll do a very good job at it xD. It sounds fun, because challenges are fun, but it doesn't sound like something I would do personally. And I had an over-powered Pikachu on Yellow when I first played it.

I know, right? I've erased a few of my games, but it's so hard XD But I'm a sentimental person. lol It helps that I'm playing with an emulator.

So I take it you mainly used Pikachu, right? :p

Ris_Grestar

Well, this is interesting. I have honestly never heard of the 'Joey Challenge' before. I have got to try this.
Can you only have 1 rattata?

What will happen once you reach Red (if you do?)

Yep, just one Rattata. Once/if you reach Red...best of luck!

I have actually never heard of this challenge. I might have a go at it sometime, though.

haha Yeah, go for it! It's been fun.

I like to think I'm doing fairly well myself, though maybe I'm taking longer to complete the challenge than I should lol

Ris_Grestar

Rattata
Lv. 25
Mud-slap
Tail Whip
Quick Attack
Hyper Fang
Rattata, up to this point, has still done pretty well overall. After all, we've beaten Whitney and gotten the Plainbadge! But...we did run into a bit of a problem...

It isn't good to only have Normal-type moves.​

But yes, as I said, I've beaten Whitney!

Ris_Grestar

Last edited:

Ris_Grestar

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
This looks tough. I can get through a game with just my starter but using only Rattata seens impossible.

Ris_Grestar

lol Yeah, it certainly has its moments...The Ghost-type gym took a while. :p

Rattata
Lv. 49
Mud-slap
Super Fang
Quick Attack
Hyper Fang

I haven't taught Rattata any new moves yet. So far, the ones he has are pretty good--Quick Attack for weak enemies, Hyper Fang for strong enemies, Mud-slap for specific types (e.g. Ghost), and Super Fang for those with high defense (e.g. Rock and Steel).

I defeated Pryce and obtained the Glacierbadge from Mahogany Town! But yes...I did skip a certain young lady.​

Ris_Grestar

Rattata
Lv. 50
Mud-slap
Super Fang
Quick Attack
Hyper Fang

Jasmine was definitely the most difficult gym leader so far. I had trouble with Morty, yes, and I didn't defeat Chuck the first time I fought him, but Jasmine...It took many attempts. I even tried her before going to fight Pryce, and that didn't work out at all.

But now, the Mineralbadge is mine!​

Shiny Espeon0429

I did it a while ago.

From my emulator:

http://oi50.*******.com/20f9bhe.jpg

Raiin

Johto Boy
I did it a while ago.

From my emulator:

http://oi50.*******.com/20f9bhe.jpg

That's an awesome Rattata! lol Anyway I my try this on my silver sometime, I've been wanting an excuse to play it again :D

Status
Not open for further replies.