• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Joey Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razor Leafeon

The Shadow Remains Cast!
Defiantly an interesting challenge. I'll have to remember it.

Shiny Espeon0429

lol And it's pretty fun, isn't it?

Oh yeah, the great thing for me was that you don't have to worry about training as Rattata gets to Level 100 fast enough assuming you defeat most (if not all) the trainers along the way. Good luck with yours!

Ris_Grestar

Oh yeah, the great thing for me was that you don't have to worry about training as Rattata gets to Level 100 fast enough assuming you defeat most (if not all) the trainers along the way. Good luck with yours!

Yeah, that's actually something I found surprising. Except for Morty and Jasmine, I really haven't had much trouble so far, just because Rattata has always had a level advantage.

Now then.

Update!

Rattata
Lv. 59
Mud-slap
Super Fang
Quick Attack
Hyper Fang

So battling Clair was easy, but she was a bit of a punk afterward. Even after I defeated her, she refused to give me the gym badge (which I'm pretty sure is against the gym leader rules...). After visiting Dragon's Den and answering the questions to the old man's liking, she handed over Risingbadge.

And with that, all eight gym leaders are defeated!​

Ausgirl

I've heard of Nuzlockes and Mono type challenges, but never the Joey Challenge. It sounds really cool... I might try it one day.

"My rattatta is the top form of rattatta."

Rayze Darr

Snubbull Supporter
Morty was, actually, the whole reason I never tried a Joey challenge. I checked Rattata's movepool and didn't see it as being possible. Forgot about TMs, and even if I had I always forget that Levitate isn't a thing yet, lol.

Great progress so far, good luck in Victory Road!

Ris_Grestar

I've heard of Nuzlockes and Mono type challenges, but never the Joey Challenge. It sounds really cool... I might try it one day.

"My rattatta is the top form of rattatta."

Yep! I'd heard about Nuzlocke before the Joey Challenge, but without the name. It was just described to me as "hardcore Pokemon." I really started learning about the challenges after I started this one, but the Joey Challenge has a certain appeal to me. lol

Morty was, actually, the whole reason I never tried a Joey challenge. I checked Rattata's movepool and didn't see it as being possible. Forgot about TMs, and even if I had I always forget that Levitate isn't a thing yet, lol.

Great progress so far, good luck in Victory Road!

Yeah, he really was a pain. The first time I realized I might have trouble is when I went against ??? (my rival) and I had to have a struggle-battle with his Gastly. Neither side could hit the other. XD (In the end, his Croconaw got a critical, so I had to restart from my last save...lol)

Thanks!

Ris_Grestar

UPDATE!

Rattata
Lv. 65
Mud-slap
Super Fang
Quick Attack
Hyper Fang

After doing some exploring through Whirl Islands (found nothing--I guess Lugia shows up later?), I made my way through Victory Road and ended up at the Pokemon League! Will wasn't too bad. Neither was Koga.

Bruno, on the other hand...We'll work on it.

Ausgirl

Yep! I'd heard about Nuzlocke before the Joey Challenge, but without the name. It was just described to me as "hardcore Pokemon." I really started learning about the challenges after I started this one, but the Joey Challenge has a certain appeal to me. lol

Yeah, he really was a pain. The first time I realized I might have trouble is when I went against ??? (my rival) and I had to have a struggle-battle with his Gastly. Neither side could hit the other. XD (In the end, his Croconaw got a critical, so I had to restart from my last save...lol)

Thanks!

I like it how you can make Nuzlockes even more difficult by giving yourself additional rules like only using potions that you found on the ground etc. Plus you can do as many Nuzlockes as you want and each time it'll be different -like the team you use. But I think I'd get bored with the Joey Challenge if I tried it more than once, truth be told.

Ris_Grestar

I like it how you can make Nuzlockes even more difficult by giving yourself additional rules like only using potions that you found on the ground etc. Plus you can do as many Nuzlockes as you want and each time it'll be different -like the team you use. But I think I'd get bored with the Joey Challenge if I tried it more than once, truth be told.

Yeah, I can agree with that. The only variation I can really imagine is on which game you try the Joey Challenge, but yeah, even then you get the same Pokemon with probably the same moveset. For a first time, though, it's fun.

After this, I think I want to try a Nuzlocke or such challenge. Yea or nay?

Ausgirl

Yeah, I can agree with that. The only variation I can really imagine is on which game you try the Joey Challenge, but yeah, even then you get the same Pokemon with probably the same moveset. For a first time, though, it's fun.

After this, I think I want to try a Nuzlocke or such challenge. Yea or nay?

If you think you can release any fainted pokemon, I'd say go for it.

Rayze Darr

Snubbull Supporter
I'd follow you for a Nuzlocke. And I don't think you need to release your Pokemon when they faint, just perma-box them.

Best of luck finishing the League!

Ris_Grestar

If you think you can release any fainted pokemon, I'd say go for it.

Heh, and I tend to grow attachments to my party Pokemon...It'd certainly make things interesting. Make me play a lot more carefully.

I'd follow you for a Nuzlocke. And I don't think you need to release your Pokemon when they faint, just perma-box them.

Best of luck finishing the League!

Awesome, glad to hear it! And thanks!

UPDATE!

Rattata
Lv. 70
Mud-slap
Super Fang
Quick Attack
Hyper Fang

So it took a fair number of tries to defeat Bruno (I think four...). Rattata had to grow five levels since I started fighting the Elite Four before he could withstand a Cross Chop. That meant a lot of white-outs and a lot of lost cash.

But, Bruno was defeated, and with that I am most of the way through the Elite Four!

silverporygon767

pokemon prof
Challenge accepted!! lol no but seriously I think I MAY have heard of this a while back not too sure...

question, aside from only have the rattata, is their a limit on how many times you die/faint with it, or is it just complete the game with the rattata limit??

Ris_Grestar

Challenge accepted!! lol no but seriously I think I MAY have heard of this a while back not too sure...

question, aside from only have the rattata, is their a limit on how many times you die/faint with it, or is it just complete the game with the rattata limit??

Where I found the rules, it didn't say anything about fainting. But this is what I gather:

The rules say that while fighting the Elite Four, you can only have Rattata in your party. I take that to mean that you can't use Revives, and if they have to specify that, then I don't think there's a limit on fainting.

My Rattata has fainted a fair number of times lol I soft-reset when he did (until I reached the Elite Four, then I whited out and paid up).

Ris_Grestar

UPDATE!

Rattata
Lv. 73
Mud-slap
Super Fang
Quick Attack
Hyper Fang

As it turns out, Karen is the Dark-type leader, not Ghost-type. That was good. But Karen did prove difficult for one battle: Her Gengar used Destiny Bond, so as soon as I knocked him out, Rattata fainted, too. But my next try through the Elite Four, I made it to Lance without any major difficulty.

After Karen, of course, came Lance.

I had to heal a lot, but I defeated him the first time!

So you know what that means...!

Though Rattata's already in the top percentage ('cause he's awesome :p), I've learned that I can also go through the Kanto gyms. What do you guys think? Yea or nay?​

Rayze Darr

Snubbull Supporter
*Throws confetti*
Conglaturation!

I'd be interested to see you run the Kanto Gym Leaders, but let's be fair here. You beat Lance, you'll destroy them. I say start a Nuzlocke!

Cutty

Forever now
Interesting, I've never heard and tried it.
Joey has been popular recently...

AmbipomMaster

#TeamInstinct
I'm actually doing this now, though on LeafGreen, not GSC...
I have to give Rattata a new move, since Gastly/Haunter are gonna kill me....

;019;
Lv. 51
Quick Attack
Dig
Hyper Fang
Secret Power

Ris_Grestar

I'm actually doing this now, though on LeafGreen, not GSC...
I have to give Rattata a new move, since Gastly/Haunter are gonna kill me....

;019;
Lv. 51
Quick Attack
Dig
Hyper Fang
Secret Power

Ooh, yeah. I would say that Dig should work fine, but they have Levitate by LeafGreen, don't they? lol Tell me how you work that out!

Anyway, sorry for the wait, guys! Over Easter weekend I was with my dad, so I couldn't upload anything. But now that I'm back at home...

UPDATE!
;019;
Rattata
Lv. 75
Mud-slap
Super Fang
Quick Attack
Hyper Fang

After riding the S.S. Aqua to Vermilion City, I challenged Lt. Surge, the Lightning American! As it turns out, the trash-can traps are the hardest part of the gym, and those were disabled this time around. So, now I have the Thunderbadge!

Also, I plan on finding the Return TM and teaching it to Rattata. Not too important right now, but just for your information.​

(And does anyone know how to post actual images instead of just the links? That'd be cool lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.