1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Johto League Silver Conference vs Hoenn League Evergrande Conference

Discussion in 'Animé Polls' started by Genaller, Jul 12, 2018.

?

Which League Was Better?

1. Johto League Silver Conference

63.2%
  2. Hoenn League Evergrande Conference

21.1%
  3. Equal

15.8%
  1. Genaller

Genaller May 16th 2016 - October 12th 2019

Which League did you think was better between these 2? For me it’s the JL all the way. Ash vs Gary was the culimination of the series’s OG rivalry and every battle from the 3 vs 3s onward were a treat. The HL has more quantity including battles for Morrison and Tyson though several of the earlier matches felt underwhelming though Ash vs Clark was good. Vs Katie and Tyson were great battles though between them was this heap of trash known as the vs Morrison battle that barring Glalie vs Metang was an utter abomination 2nd to only Ash vs Cameron as the worst full battle of the series. A good chunk of Ash vs Harrison did feel like a step down from Ash vs Gary (but still decent) though the final Charizard vs Blaziken clash was flipping awesome.

2. PokemonBattleFanatic-

PokemonBattleFanatic- Well-Known Member

I've always had a hard time choosing which league was better between these two.

Tyson/Katie>Harrison/Gary

Jackson/Macy>Morrison/Clark

I'll go with JL since it has more quantity of enjoyable battles,Tyson/Katie battles were better than the Harrison/Gary battles but they were still decent,they're at least better than the Morrison battle.If JL didn't have Macy/Jackson then I'd go with the Ever Grande Conference.

1.Ash vs Katie
    2.Ash vs Tyson
    3.Ash vs Harrison
    4.Ash vs Gary
    5.Ash vs Jackson
    6.Ash vs Macy
    7.Ash vs Morrison
    8.Ash vs Clark

3. GarchompTheAssassin

GarchompTheAssassin Water starter fan

Hoenn league wasn't bad but it did nothing for me

Johto was way more hype

4. Genaller

Out of 5 stars:

1. Ash vs Gary — *****
    2. Ash vs Tyson — **** 1/2
    3. Ash vs Katie — **** 1/4
    4. Ash vs Harrison — ****
    5. Ash vs Jackson — *** 3/4
    6. Ash vs Clark — *** 1/2
    7. Ash vs Macy — *** 1/2
    8. Ash vs Dominick — ** 1/2
    10. Tyson vs Vivica — ** 1/2
    11. Morrison vs Gavin — ** 1/4
    11. Ash vs Salvidor — **
    12. Ash vs Gilbert — **
    13. Morrison vs Jump — **
    14. Ash vs Morrison — * 3/4

I’m sure PBF will get the reference :).

5. PokemonBattleFanatic-

Personally I wouldn't have Ash vs Gary over Ash vs Katie or Ash vs Tyson,too many 1HKO's and less strategy in that battle.

6. Genaller

I’m giving weight to the “build” of the match + the homage to Red vs Blue. Also I’m pretty sure vs Katie and especially vs Tyson had some OHKs as well. I’m curious how would you currently rate the JL and HL matches on a 5 star scale? Assuming something like Ash vs Paul SL is ****** (I bet you’ll also get this reference :)).

7. PokemonBattleFanatic-

There was buildup but it wasn't a proper buildup like Ash/Paul,Gary barely showed up and they only battled each other 1 time before the Johto League.Those battles couldn't have had as many 1HKO's as the Ash/Gary battle and the Ash/Katie battle has more strategy.Take away the buildup and Red vs Blue homage and just rating the battle itself it just wasn't as good as Ash vs Tyson/Ash vs Katie,heck even the Ash vs Harrison has a case over it,the final clash between Charizard and Blaziken was a lot more intense than Charizard and Blastoise.

You gave Ash vs Gary 5 stars but if you were restricted to just 5 stars there's no way in hell it's as good as Ash vs Paul at the league or lake acuity,along with other battles.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    blizzardblaze likes this.
  8. 345ash-greninja

345ash-greninja Knucklehead Ninja

I agree with @PokemonBattleFanatic- that Ash vs Gary certainly doesn't even deserve to be compared to the likes of Ash vs Paul in the SL. Yeah, there was obviously a lot of build-up and hype up to that point for that battle, it was the rivalry culmination battle of Ash's first ever rival Gary, a rivalry which began even before the journey of Ash as a Pokemon trainer began. But what was execution of all that build-up and hype in that battle? It certainly wasn't that much good. Too many OHKO's which made majority of the battles quite uninteresting. Especially the battles involving Snorlax created lacked quality and imagination which made the OHKO's look more underwhelming. The only battles which were that much good in quality were Heracross vs Magmar and Charizard vs Blastoise. But 2 good individual battles in that full-battle while many other individual battles being underwhelming certainly isn't enough for me to make it comparable to SL Ash vs Paul or KL Ash vs Alain, or even on equal footing with KL Ash vs Sawyer.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  9. Genaller

Well if I were strictly restricted to 5 stars then my top 5 full Battle ratings would be:

1. Ash vs Paul SL — *****
    2. Ash vs Alain KL — **** 3/4
    3. Ash vs Gary JL — **** 3/4
    4. Ash vs Sawyer KL — **** 1/2
    5. Ash vs Paul LA — **** 1/2

10. 345ash-greninja

I honestly find it quite hard to put Ash vs Gary above Ash vs Sawyer. A better final battle (Ash-Greninja vs Mega Sceptile > Charizard vs Blastoise), way better animation and better production values made the battles visually far more appealing, individual battles being more dragged out, involving better strategy, tactics, making them clearly more interesting....in many aspects Ash vs Sawyer is clearly better IMO. Just because Ash vs Gary battle had a better build-up and was the rivalry culmination battle of a rivalry shown since the start of Ash's journey, isn't enough for me to put Ash vs Gary ahead at all.

11. PokemonBattleFanatic-

Without mentioning "Buildup" and "Homage to Red vs Blue"

-What makes Ash vs Gary JL better than Ash vs Paul LA?
    -What makes Ash vs Gary JL better than Ash vs Drake (Orange Islands)?
    -What makes Ash vs Gary JL better than Ash vs Katie?
    -What makes Ash vs Gary JL better than Ash vs Tyson?
    -What makes Ash vs Gary JL better than Ash vs Harrison?
    -What makes Ash vs Gary JL better than Ash vs Conway?

12. 345ash-greninja

Eh Ash vs Drake (Orange Islands) was also pretty bad in terms of the pattern of the KO's, I mean Ash gets a huge lead at first being up at 5-2 (mainly due to switching Pokemon advantage), and then suddenly the pattern reverses to going 5-5 with Dragonite hard carrying Drake, before Pikachu wins the final battle. Nothing much interesting in that pattern, pretty much boring amd predictable.

Ash vs Gary still had a better pattern with Gary at first taking a 3-1 lead, them Ash making it 3-3 with Snorlax, before Gary once again makes it 5-3, after which Charizard wins 3 in a row to give Ash a 6-5 win. The pattern clearly was more interesting here with a lot of twists and turns.

Majority of the individual battles in both Ash vs Gary and Ash vs Drake were quite bad TBH.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  13. Genaller

Take your grievances to the new thread and I’ll gladly discuss them with you there :).