1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Johto League vs Kalos League!

Discussion in 'Animé Polls' started by Genaller, Oct 12, 2018.

?

Which league conference was better

1. Silver Conference

35.7%
  2. Lumiose Conference

60.7%
  3. They were equal

3.6%
  1. Genaller

Genaller May 16th 2016 - October 12th 2019

Both of these leagues convincingly beat the Hoenn League, so now it’s time to see how they measure up to each other! I’m genuinely torn here since Kalos achieves greater highs, but Johto was more consistent all-around.

2. blizzardblaze

blizzardblaze Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime

Johto had a decent soundtrack from what I've heard so far, but the battles were a bit lackluster in a way - look no further than "can't lift Golem, so why not use Dragon Rage"

3. I prefer the Silver Conference because it was handled better and set up for a conclusion of the Ash and Gary rivalry pretty well.

4. Akkipeddi

Akkipeddi Gold Experience

Johto League is really good imo, much better than Hoenn League, so this choice is quite difficult. Ash vs Gary was the first time a major rivalry reached a conclusion, and Ash vs Harisson was pretty great as well.

Ultimately, I still have to faintly give it to Kalos League, only becuase the 2 full battles and Sawyer vs Teirno were so good to watch. Ash vs Gary was hype, but in truth, when one watches it now, it doesn't hold up too well since most of the battles ended in quick ko's.

janejane6178 likes this.
  5. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

I'm not sure about the other fans but although I think the Johto League is one of the better leagues, I honestly don't think they handled Gary that well in terms of character development. Now remember, in the end this is just my opinion. I honestly thought they could've done better with the build-up to Gary, making him somewhat similar to Paul but far more cocky. In fact, that's how Oak pretty much describes Gary, he values strength over friendship at first which they did show from time to time but not enough. For example, I would've liked to see Gary team up with Ash during the Team Rocket-Lugia special. However I suppose we should base our thoughts on the final product, not what if scenarios. I do however likde how they stopped doing the cartoony "I'm better than you in every way" caricature of the Kanto season. Even when I was little I find it hard to believe Gary had a loyal fanclub of cheerleaders. Other than that, I thought Gary's battle with Ash was pretty good even though we don't see a lot of character development of his Pokemon, especially his Blastoise. I liked how Ash was fighting against the odds, using clever tactics to outsmart Gary. For example, I like how Charizard used his fire attacks to force Blastoise to create an opening that would lead to it's loss. Also I didn't mind that Ash lost to last-minute rival Harrison. Kind of felt like a earned loss due to the balanced team-up and the introduction to Blaziken was awesome. I was surprised by the new Pokemon when I was little.

To sum it up, I think the Kalos League is better than the Johto League.

6. keepitsimple

keepitsimple #KalosScrewJob

Sinnoh > Johto = Kalos > Hoenn > Unova > Kanto is pretty much what I would have them at so either. they're about equal

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  7. Apslup

Apslup Feelin' Fine.

The Johto League is my third favorite League (the first and second places alternate between Kalos and Sinnoh) all because of Ash's battle against Gary and Ash's last battle against Harrison (with Charizard vs Blaziken being ultimate highlight).

I'd say that the Kalos League is objectively better when it comes to Animation (which is a given) and had a lot of hype moments throughout (despite their only being 3 battles I cared about), but Johto was just an all around enjoyable League. The battles where fun and seeing most of Ash's Kanto and Johto Mons battling was so fun to watch (shoutout to Bulbasaur vs Meganium) and it had some of the best animation and pacing of the OS.

But, my biased mind will fall to the Kalos League this time due to the excitement I felt while watching it along with the stunning animation and music, topped off with the Cleverly-Written Fights. Johto is also one of the best Leagues in my eyes.

Also @Genaller, if you make a Kalos League vs Sinnoh League thread, I will have the hardest time writing up a response since they're both so epic!

8. satopi

satopi Go’s Scyther is indestriketible! <3

Lumiose Conference since I barely remember the Silver Conference.

9. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

You know i just watched ash vs gary few weeks ago and this has to be the most overrated battle in all the series, sure emotions were there and it put a good closure too ash vs gary feud but it was mostly one shot of pokemon and only memorable match was charizard vs blastoise, the same can be said about OS battles none of the battle in OS will come close to standards of battles set in DP/XY. OS battle quality has to be the worst or neat the BW level.

10. Yeah, the actual battle itself hasn't really aged well.

11. janejane6178

janejane6178 XY over SM (ew) ANYDAY!!!! <3 (Anything actually)

Kalos<33

12. PokemonBattleFanatic-

PokemonBattleFanatic- Standby for Battle!

Ash vs Harrison/Ash vs Gary/Ash vs Jackson/Ash vs Macy>>>Kalos League

13. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

Ash vs Alain >>>>> entire johto league
    And i am not even counting ash vs sawyer

345ash-greninja and Genaller like this.
  14. Ash-Pikachu

Ash-Pikachu Well-Known Member

Kalos League. The Johto League was better-paced, had old friends return to Ash to compete within the league, and great battles such as Ash vs. Macy and especially Ash vs. Jackson, but the Kalos League was much better. The moment Ash made his way to the Kalos League up to the point where he finally stepped up on the stage and vehemently declared that he was going to win the league had me watch in anticipation, hoping that something big and extraordinary was going to happen. The Johto League marked the moment where Ash was finally going to surmount Gary in spite of Gary's blatant teasing and superiority, but nothing beats Ash fighting against fearsome rivals who can go toe-to-toe with the Elite 4 and even the Champion and finally having a clear-shot at winning the league. In spite Ash's victory against Gary being a significant milestone in Ash's journey, many of the individual sub-battles contained in both vs. Gary and Harrison battles were rushed, only involving a few movement exchanges whereas both vs. Sawyer and Alain had plenty of movement clashes, moments that left me in awe at how Ash pulled ahead despite the disadvantage (Pikachu vs. Aegislash and Pikachu vs. Metagross), and epic clashes such as Greninja vs. Sceptile's Frenzy Plant and Greninja clashing with MCX's Blast Burn twice.

The Johto League was solid, but the Kalos League is much better.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    345ash-greninja, Genaller and Apslup like this.