• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Johto Photo Finish! (274)

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Lol at Ash losing to Harrison. Charizard had the clear type advantage, so how the hell did he lose...
Because type advantage is not the end all be all in the anime as proven time and time again.

Leonhart

Imagineer
My goodness. This episode may well have had the best battle in the Silver Conference in terms of looks and intensity. The animation was great and thankfully the Pokemon moved around a lot while performing their moves, although Lizardon's Seismic Toss still doesn't look as good as it did when it used it on Boober. Bashamo was an incredible battler too. It and Lizardon showed once again what a battle is like when performed between two final evolutions at an evenly matched high level.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Epic battle between Lizardon and Bursyam although I expected Satoshi to win and move on to the next round. It was a great chance to see him winning a league and become a Pokémon master so his story can come to a close.

Even if Ash had won against Harrison, he'd still need to go through the semi-finals, which he coulda lost in anyway. Besides, Ash winning a League wouldn't make him a Pokemon Master.

ZilverLox

Banned
This episode was great at first, but then was horribly rushed. Too bad that Ash didn't beat Harrison. At least Gary got a real nice sendoff in this episode and the next one. I'm still surprised that he ended up giving up Pokemon training to become a researcher, but maybe it was the best decision for him. I can't wait to see Gary's special.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Was interesting how Gary said that the Misdrevious was there because it must've been distracted by all the excitement of the Silver Conference, or whatever it was that he said. I liked that, and I also liked Ash's expression when he told them he wanted to be a Pokemon professor.

Leonhart

Imagineer
One thing that has always irked me about this episode was the trapped Muuma scene, which was used to explain Shigeru's new goal in life. It felt so contrived and the time spent on it could've been used for a better Jouto League ending ceremony. The same applies to the Rocket-dan's rather senseless scheme, too.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I feel like no matter which Pokemon Satoshi had used, he was doing down regardless. Lizardon put up a good fight though, so Satoshi choosing him to battle Bursyamo was the right decision.

Charizard vs Blaziken was great but I would perfer it if Blaziken beat Pikachu instead since Charizard already had his moment in the spotlight.
BIRCH LOTAD AND ZIGZAGOON CAMEOS! Also Hoenn has Mudkipz!!!!!!
Harrison is a cool character and I wish we saw him again.

doofinc

get rillaboomed
Last of the Johto full battles on my quest to watch all the full battles. Dub experience tho :(

Pros:
  • Ash strats
    • listening for Kecleon movements is pretty good
    • Pikachu using Thunderbolt on the tongue is actually much better than you think initially once you think about how wet tongues usually are, so it's more effective
    • Bayleef using Vine Whip to muzzle Houndoom is cool but kinda dark since it's a dog :oops:
      • Bayleef not being trash?????
    • Trying to use the momentum of Blaziken pulling in Bayleef to boost Body Slam was a good attempt even if it didn't work
  • Totodile biting Sneasel then dancing to smack Sneasel is hilarious
  • Snorlax kinda goated
  • Ash cucked Harrison even when he lost LMAO
Neutral
  • What kind of a chameleon can't hide part of its body smh
  • Not sure how I feel about Kecleon using his tongue to razor the grass to try to find Pikachu - it kinda eliminates his ability to hide in the grass again
    • It felt like the writers were thinking "we need this grass here to make Pikachu vs Kecleon interesting, but we need to get rid of the grass after so that we can have an open field for battles
  • I rescind my Pikachu comment from Ash vs. Gary, Pikachu still sucks rn
  • OHKO moments (but less egregious this time TBH)
    • Kecleon getting OHKOd kinda made more sense to me?
      • Tongue moisture amplifying Thunderbolt + it felt like Kecleon was a glass cannon due to its speed? A bit more headcanon-y on my end but nothing too egregious
    • omegalul to Totodile and Hypno though
  • Was gonna flame Ash bringing in a sleeping Snorlax but I guess it worked???
  • Not the "I think I'm gonna win" into lose the match
  • mans really said "good thing I don't care about type advantages"
  • Ash getting Counter'd by Gen 2 mechanics on Hyper Beam lmao
  • Misty predicting Blaziken getting Speed Boost in the future
  • This globe picture for seismic toss is so funny
  • Blaziken's Flamethrower during Seismic Toss would go in the pros if they actually showed the Flamethrower the first time. Leaving it as a surprise felt pretty cheap, especially when not animated.
    • IMO they should've played the part with the Flamethrower + impact and left the viewers try to think what happened in that very moment, instead of leaving it solely after
  • victory fanfare into lose game omegalul
  • Full power Dragon Rage is still 40 HP sorry Ash
Cons
  • What is this dub circus music
  • Noctowl vs Steelix sure was one of the matchups
  • Charizard vs Blaziken was kind of just a mashfest TBH
    • if only this was XY where mashfests actually looked good

This is a weird one for me to compare. Obviously there's nothing to the peak of Blastoise vs Charizard that I just watched, but everything else in the middle seemed pretty solid to me? Much fewer OHKOs, and the OHKOs themselves felt less stupid than the ones in Ash vs Gary. Some bad plays like Noctowl vs Steelix but everything else was fine to good. I'm not a fan of these full battles where most of the battle is in 1 episode though - could use some breathing room and more development.

I think the big 4 still top this, but I personally think this is better than Ash vs Gary and Ash vs Drake. And TBH, I think if Charizard vs Blaziken had the production value of XY, this would be pretty close to my #4 (Ash vs. Sawyer). Obviously that production value didn't exist at the time, but unfortunately for this battle I'm watching it after-the-fact and animation/choreography become a more important factor DP and onwards, so it's hard to compare when animation/choreography is severely limited in the older seasons. C'est la vie.

Nevertheless, I thought this was pretty good, especially for its time.

I got the Hoenn ones left, then I can finally properly fill out the Full Battle ranking lists. You're asking about Best Wishes? There's no full battles there what are you talking about?

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Finally saw this. Cool battle, but I'm miffed that the writers mad Charizard the one to loose the competition again. And there wasn't even a scene of Ash telling him it's ok, beyond what Ash might've said when he went back in his Pokeball. They had enough time; they should've at least done that...