• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Johto Starter Rant

Zora

perpetually tired
Mods, if feel that this should be closed, do so.

Okay, this has been bothering me ever since this Johto trio has been released. Everyone thinks and treats them as starters. Here is a problem though, they have never been starters in this generation. They were presented as Johto Pokemon in both Emerald, XD, and PC. Here is the truth:

They are not actually starters in this generation.

If he haven't been so noticable, you should have seen that Emerald, FireRed, and LeafGreen have all Johto Pokemon avalible, minus legendaries. This proves the theory (err... fact) that Nintendo made it so you could get all Johto Pokemon (minus legendaries, and forever more when I say that) in the GBA packs. They did this so people would have access to most Pokemon. Plus if went to the events, you could get Ho-oh, Lugia, and Celebi from the packs.

If anyone ever read the PC game box it said "Get Pokemon never seen in before seen out of Johto..." This does include this trio. Keep in mind that Umbreon and Espeon were your starters, and eevee was in your second game (see something?). Also, XD feature most PC Pokemon in there first form. Think about it:

Ledyba
Houndour
Johto Trio
Lavitar (never said via shadow)
and more.

Therefore, I hope my rant made its loud point on how they were never present as starters, but as Johto Pokemon.[/rant]

The Thunderbird

Dreams come true
They were the Pokemon you start out with in the 2nd gen.

summnor1201

I Crave Blood
Everyone calls them Jhoto Starters Cause thats what they are

Zora

perpetually tired
The Thunderbird said:
They were the Pokemon you start out with in the 2nd gen.

This is 3rd generation. That is why I said "In this generation..."

Everyone calls them Jhoto Starters Cause thats what they are

THey were only in the 2nd generation. It is like a title they have though. However people think like next generation they will give us a old/new starter trio after doing something, because emerald did it. Emerald did not do it so you can have another starter intially, but so you could get all Johto Pokemon from game packs assuming you owned both Kanto games and emerald. In FrLg, they made you choose one of the legendary dogs indirectly, in Emerald it was on of this trio. My point was they were never presented as starters in this generation, but as Johto Pokemon. People are thinking this is going to be a new trend, but it will not. Like people thought the Kanto trio was going to be in XD because the Johto ones were. That was wrong, since XD helped by giving many Pokemon only avalible in FrLgRS to Emerald. They only lacked Slowpoke line IIRC, everything else was there. People need to understand why Emerald did this, and it is not because of the fact they wanted two starter trios.

Watermaniac

My 1st shiny ever
Man, i think that you're maybe analyzing this a little too much. They are told the johto startes because indeed they were the options to start in GSC, so you have to get over it

Moonlight.

They are Johto starters in the sense that they're the starters of Johto, but they were never starters in the third gen. No-one ever said they were starters this gen.

greta_lover

I don't know........
Shouldn't this go in the 2nd generation forum?

Just because you don't "start" with them doesn't mean they can't be called starters. As you said youself in your second post, it's a title they have been given. Your rant won't change the fact that they will always be called starters.

Zora

perpetually tired
greta_lover said:
Shouldn't this go in the 2nd generation forum?

Why? I am ranting mainly about PC, Emerald, and XD, all of which are in the 3rd generation. In the 2nd generation they were presented as starters, in this generation they are presented as Johto Pokemon.

Just because you don't "start" with them doesn't mean they can't be called starters. As you said youself in your second post, it's a title they have been given. Your rant won't change the fact that they will always be called starters.

Okay, this is what I mean:

Random Post in DP said:
They should create two starter trios and give you one at the end like in Emerald.

Random Post in XD said:
They will give us Kanto starters this time, like in PC they gave us Johto starters

Neither of these are nor will be true. These ideals are bothering me, so I decided to rant about it. IF WE COULD CONNECT TO GSCRBY, THEY WOULD NOT HAVE GIVEN US JOHTO STARTERS IN THE 3RD GENERATION.

But since we could not, they had to give us them back. Kanto took care of a good half, Emerald took care of the other. PC/XD had all of them in it, (XD also had Kanto), but had some unneeded Pokemon too.

Zora

perpetually tired
chosen_one386 said:
I don't really get this rant...

Anyway, they are JHOTO STARTERS, not 3rd gen starters. No one said they were 3rd gen starters, did they?
You'd be surprised. I actually found this post from DP, this is a real example

I think you may be able to get another starter after you beat the elite 4 or something,hopefully not anything too difficult though,like getting a Johto starter on emerald >.<

And XD, man was that a headache.

Shinin

Minimalist
Zora said:
You'd be surprised. I actually found this post from DP, this is a real example

And XD, man was that a headache.

It's not that hard to understand. As long as you recognise the phrase "Johto starters" as what everyone who uses it means by it, it shouldn't be very hard to know what people like that are talking about.

Also, it's easier to say "Johto starters" than to say "second generation starters."

Hoshi no Kabii

Aww. I thought this was going to be a good rant on how the Jhoto starters were shafted:(

They are called Jhoto starters. They were the starters in the Jhoto region. There is no Jhoto region in the third generation. You call them Jhoto pokemon. These 'Jhoto pokemon' were not actually in Jhoto. They were in Colo., XD, and Emerald. We calling them Jhoto starters refers to the fact that they were starters of the Jhoto region. Just because they are not in Jhoto, does not make them ordinary 'Jhoto pokemon.' If you trade a Charmander from Leaf Green to Emerald, it is still a Kanto starter. Same with Jhoto Starters.

I dove thee Jhoto Starters.

Pure

back.
Exactly. What did you call Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle before FRLG came out? Kanto Starters. When the 4th gen comes out, what will you call Treecko, Mudkip and Torchic? 3rd generation starters? Incorrect, as there are 2 sets of 3rd gen games. Call them Hoenn starters. Would you call the badges 1st, 2nd, 3rd gen badges instead of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn badges?

[nitpick]And it's Johto, not Jhoto...[/nitpick]

Zora

perpetually tired
Okay, I am not ranting on the title. I am ranting on the idea that we are now starting to get:

1.) More then one starter trio each generation

2.) Console RPG's do not contain starters just so you choose a "starter." That is what the Eevee's for.

3.) That if they were able to get, no one would have these ideals.

That is what I am ranting on. Not the title. Yes I am well aware of their title, but their title does not mean that you get benefits like more starters or Console RPG's have them as starters.

Havoc Houndoom

Cascade Trainer
In all technicality, the second Shadow Pokemon you Snag in Colosseum is a second-level form of one of the Johto starters. So, though your real 'starters' are Espeon and Umbreon, and there's a shadow Makuhita first, the real 'choice' is between Bayleef, Quilava, and Croconaw.

True, you get the others later, but that's beside the point.

Zora

perpetually tired
You choose one because most games make you choose an event Pokemon:

RBYFrLg: Fossil/Dog

GSC: Eeveelution

RSE: Fossils

PC: Johto Trio

XD: Eeveelution

I hidden tradition ignored. However, in GSC and PC, you could get the other choice Pokemon back through other ways.

Shinin

Minimalist
Zora said:
I hidden tradition ignored. However, in GSC and PC, you could get the other choice Pokemon back through other ways.

Are you saying you can get the other starters in GSC?