• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Johto Starter Rant

Zora

perpetually tired
Shinin said:
Are you saying you can get the other starters in GSC?

Aside from starters. Notice how each event choice Pokemon never had anything to do with starters, but if you insist, they are omitted in this case.

My point is, DP will have just one trio of starters, the next RPG will probably lack starters all together, and finally, Johto starters were there not because Nintendo wanted us to have more starter Pokemon, but so we could have more areas to access Johto Pokemon. People are thinking that in DP, after you finish Shinou dex, you can choose a Kanto/Johto/Hoenn starter, but you can not. See what I mean?

Psyboy

Psychic Breeder
I don't see why this is such a big problem, I can barley understand what your rant is about. Are you angry that we are able to get the Johto Starters in the 3rd gen games? Cause if you are you'd be the first person I've read that is.

Trooper Guy

Lost in history...
^^No, he's on about the fact that the Johto starters are being classed as starters, but they weren't treated as such in the 3rd generation. Thus, he's saying that they aren't really starters in the 3rd generation, correct me if i'm wrong. And i half agree.

While they sure as hell weren't treated as starters in the 3rd generation, they were first ever introduced to the world as starters back in the 2nd gen. So it's only natural that most people will see them, and remember them that way, i sure do.

Last edited:

Moonlight.

Again, most people don't view them as starters in this generation. They call them Johto Starters because they were the starters in Johto.

Powerful_Blaziken88

Zora said:
My point is, DP will have just one trio of starters, the next RPG will probably lack starters all together, and finally, Johto starters were there not because
Nintendo wanted us to have more starter Pokemon, but so we could have more areas to access Johto Pokemon. People are thinking that in DP, after you finish
Shinou dex, you can choose a Kanto/Johto/Hoenn starter, but you can not. See what I mean?
How do you know all this? D/P isn't even out yet.

Also don't forget they have stats compareable to starters. Not to mention they have the starter signature abilities (overgrow, blaze, torent) which only starters have, Another reason they're classified as starters.

So what should I call them hotshot?

The normal third generation Pokemon formerly starters in the Johto games?

No, I think we should call them what they are, the Johto starters.

Zora

perpetually tired
Trooper Guy said:
^^No, he's on about the fact that the Johto starters are being classed as starters, but they weren't treated as such in the 3rd generation. Thus, he's saying that they aren't really starters in the 3rd generation, correct me if i'm wrong. And i half agree.

While they sure as hell weren't treated as starters in the 3rd generation, they were first ever introduced to the world as starters back in the 2nd gen. So it's only natural that most people will see them, and remember them that way, i sure do.

Finally someone understands. I am not ranting on their title, put how people misinterpret there purpose in the 3rd generation.

Jiggy37

Pearl Trader
Zora said:
Finally someone understands. I am not ranting on their title, put how people misinterpret there purpose in the 3rd generation.
Just because people call them starters doesn't mean that they're misinterpreting their purpose.

Darkdd

Crazy bush lady!
Zora said:
You'd be surprised. I actually found this post from DP, this is a real example

And XD, man was that a headache.

Please don't quote me out of context.When I(and most people) use the term 'starters',I'm simply referring to that group of 3 pokemon that you start with in any given generation regardless of where or how they are obtained.I traded my bayleef over from colo yet I still refer to it as a starter.

Last edited:

Moonlight.

Zora said:
Well at least you are on the right track, that is why I beforehand provided these examples:

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpost.php?p=3776916&postcount=10

Look at the bottom two qoutes
The second quote is fine, because by "Kanto starters" and "Johto starters", they probably mean the starters from each of the two regions, respectively.

I do see your point on the first quote though. They're not exactly starters if you get them towards the end of the game.

Zora

perpetually tired
Moonlight. said:
The second quote is fine, because by "Kanto starters" and "Johto starters", they probably mean the starters from each of the two regions, respectively.

I do see your point on the first quote though. They're not exactly starters if you get them towards the end of the game.

Then clearly you haven't been to the DP section. People really think that, just because we know doesn't mean they haven't realized it.

Psyboy

Psychic Breeder
Do you want us to call them "Enders"?

Zora

perpetually tired
Psyboy said:
Do you want us to call them "Enders"?

No, I do not care what you call them. The title means nothing (or 'the fact they are called Johto starters means nothing). It is just how people think they were released in games because Nintendo wants to start a new trend.

Psyboy

Psychic Breeder
Oh I understand you now, Sorry about that!

Shiny_Milotic

If one says "starter" and is referring to R/B/Y/Fr/Lg, they mean Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle. That is referring to Kanto.

If one says "starter" and is referring to R/S/E, they mean Treecko, Torchic, and Mudkip. That is referring to Hoenn.

If one says "starter" and is referring to GSE, they mean Chikorita, Cyndaquil, and Totodile. That is referrring to Johto.

All 9 of those Pokemon are considered "starters" because you are able to choose them as your starter in their respective games.

You are right, in the 3rd Generation, they are not starters. That doesn't erase their past though. In G/S/C they were starters. They are the Johto Starters. If you are referring to starters you are referring to whatever region you get them in. The Johto starters aren't presented as starters in Emerald, but are presented in an extremely different way, thus showing there is something special about them, almost a legendary ( if you will ) that can breed.

I understand your point. In Emerald they are released to the player as a Johto Pokemon. Not really a starter, but more of a finisher. Either way, they are still Johto Starters. If you play in the Johto region, they will be your starters, and nothing can change that.

Momoko Lover

Hop, Skip, Jump!!!
For the last time, that's not what he means. He means that people are thinking that just because the Johto starters where in Emerald, they're going to start doing that for D/P. Which I think, won't be the case.

The Johto starters were just there, like Zora said, to let all Johto pokemon become accessible... I think that's what he said..... Anyways, what I'm getting at is, that he's not talking about calling them "Johto starters." That is not what he means.

Trooper Guy

Lost in history...
Zora said:
Would've preferred, "Finally, someone who understands", as i got what you meant from the beginning, but didn't post. But yeah, don't pay attention to the title people.

Zora

perpetually tired
Momoko Lover said:
For the last time, that's not what he means. He means that people are thinking that just because the Johto starters where in Emerald, they're going to start doing that for D/P. Which I think, won't be the case.

The Johto starters were just there, like Zora said, to let all Johto pokemon become accessible... I think that's what he said..... Anyways, what I'm getting at is, that he's not talking about calling them "Johto starters." That is not what he means.

Thank you. Basically people are thinking that possibly we will get Hoenn/Johto/Kanto starters in DP without trading, secondly, the RPG games only contained Johto starters to have access to them. It is the time you got them that fooled people, but it was part of Miror B.'s story in regards to the pawns, which had the three "starters." People thought then towards the beginning of XD that you would got the second stage of Kanto starters, or some even thought Hoenn for that matter.