• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jolteon VGC Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokeMaster366

Overview

So I herd you liek Jolteons. Now that I got that lame joke aside despite doing it wrong, let's move on. I took a day of from RM battling just to do some more research on my team and relax after having a meltdown over it yesterday, and while I'm on Smogon, I suddenly find out that Jolteon is now OU. If you don't believe me, check the list on this link. In commemoration of this jump, I decided to list a set or 2 that Jolteon can use in VGCs.

Base Stats

__Jolteon___by_PachirisuLuva.jpg

HP: 65
Atk: 65
Def: 60
Sp. Atk: 110
Sp. Def: 95
Spd: 130

Abilities

Volt Absorb: You're immune to all Electric moves and get 1/4 of your health back when hit with them. Considering his blistering speed, the fact that he isn't nerfed by T-Wave is just makes him even more useful.
Quick Feet: When hit with status problems like Burn or Paralysis, your speed gets a x1.5 boost. Could be used with a Flame Orb to capitalize on his already amazing speed or if you're just that paranoid, but would probably be overkill anyway.

Movesets

Life Orb Sweeper:

Jolteon @ Life Orb/Focus Sash
Ability: Volt Absorb/Quick Feet
Nature: Modest/Timid
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
Moves:
  • Thunderbolt
  • Thunder Wave/Discharge
  • Shadow Ball/Hidden Power(Grass/Ice)
  • Protect
This set capitalizes on his already godly speed and lets him sweep. You can run Modest if you want more power, but Timid (Hasty is acceptable since you're using the Life Orb) will let you outrun ScarfTar and Scarfed Jellicent. A LOrb boosted Thunderbolt is surprisingly powerful enough to 2HKO Zapdos all the time as long as he doesn't have a Sitrus Berry. T-Wave lets him support the rest of the team by paralyzing speedy opponents and ruining the idea of using Tailwind to sweep. Discharge is an option over T-Wave if you think you're lucky or have a Ground type. Shadow Ball lets him hit Ghosts and Psychics while HP Ice will give him something to use if he's caught out there against things like Garchomp and Salamence, but HP Grass is always an option if you hate things like Gastrodon and Swampert.

Partners

Gastrodon is a great partner for Jolteon since he isn't hurt by Discharge and can 0HKO Salamence and Garchomp with Ice Beam and Excadrill with Earth Power. Slow pokemon enjoy the T-Wave support and can support him if he's ever caught out there in Trick Room. Garchomp also serves as a great partner since he helps cure the headache known as Sandstorm and enjoys Jolteon's help in dealing with the Lati twins.

Other Options

Jolteon is useful for more than just sweeping. Thanks to his good speed, he can support through the use of Light Screen and possibly screw weather teams over since he access to both Rain Dance and Sunny Day. Yawn can be used to force a switch or put people to sleep. You can always try Heal Bell if you're that paranoid, but that's very situational. Magnet Rise works as well since it protects you from Ground moves, but again, it's very situational.

Checks and Counters

Jolteon may be stupidly fast, but all you really have to do is hit it with a strong attacking move to hit it. The DrizzleSwim + Surf/Muddy Water isn't exactly viable since it doesn't 0HKO Jolteon even with LOrb boosts and he can hit back with T-Wave to cripple your Swift Swim sweeper. Scarfed pokemon and Tailwind are also useful, but again, you always have to deal with the threat of Paralysis. Trick Room and Sand Rush Excadrill are the only solid counters against Jolteon since they can kill him before he ruins everyone with Paralysis. Jolteon is very frail physically and easily killed by Earthquake, but that problem is somewhat remedied by Intimidate support, so be very careful. Jolteon can be dangerous already thanks to his ridiculous speed and the fact that he is an Electric type, but the thing that makes him fatal is the fact that he can take away almost all speed advantages you have with T-Wave without worrying about his own speed. Congratulations Jolteon for finally making it back to OU.

Last edited:

Ninja Dewott

Ice Cold Fire
YAY! GO JOLTEON! I lurv dat cute bundle o stactic :D

But Y U NO DO WHOLE METAGAME ANALYSIS? O U are a silly boy (pun intended).

The best option, certainly in Standard OU, with Jolteon is slap on some silly sunglasses and Spam Thunder, but I reckon it's more tactical in VGCs.

I suppose you could almost give it substitute and pair it with a pokemon with discharge to stall

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
Why not Electivire or Manectric for teammates with Discharge?

With Protect Garchomp and other Ground types can also be good teammates since you can prevent friendly fire.

Also speaking of Garchomp it would make a good check since it wins the speed war and with a LO it will OHKO with HP Ice sans a Yache berry set.

PokeMaster366

Why not Electivire or Manectric for teammates with Discharge?

With Protect Garchomp and other Ground types can also be good teammates since you can prevent friendly fire.

Also speaking of Garchomp it would make a good check since it wins the speed war and with a LO it will OHKO with HP Ice sans a Yache berry set.

It's rarely a good idea to have more than one of the same type pokemon because you risk Earthquake spam in this scenario and Manectric and Electivire are rare. I'm not going to waste time listing common combos since almost everybody knows about them and people run IntimiTop and Salamence so often that they won't be of much help. I'll go list it anyway.

@Ninja Dewott

I didn't bother doing the OU analysis because I didn't feel like repeating what the good people on Smogon already said about him.

Last edited:

PokeMaster366

Would a air ballon be viable in other options sense earthquake is commenly used move in double? Or is it that jolteon would faint from almost any physical hit, making sash better?

Yes. He faints after getting hit with basically anything physical, which makes the Sash and LOrb more viable since he can A.) survive and hit back with Electric moves or Status or B.) Take out the threat with a big hit before he's even taken out.

Lanik

I believe this thread calls for Choice Specs. You'll love it when Jolteon is fighting with a rain team, wearing Choice Specs.

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EV's: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Sp. Def.

-Thunder
-Volt Switch
-Shadow Ball
-HP [Grass/Ice]

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
I believe this thread calls for Choice Specs. You'll love it when Jolteon is fighting with a rain team, wearing Choice Specs.

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EV's: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Sp. Def.

-Thunder
-Volt Switch
-Shadow Ball
-HP [Grass/Ice]
It's for VCG, however, and Choice items are less viable there because there's a better chance you will get stuck using a useless attack on an opponent but can't switch out.

Status
Not open for further replies.