• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jostling for the Junior Cup (751)

Royal_Qeca

Pokémon Blue
What are you talking about? It was a joke! Your sense of humor today is a little rusty. You were the one who was complaining about Dawn's lack of spotlight in the spoiler section not me.

I like Dawn being around, she helps to improve the chemistry between the main cast which is already good. And I missed her so I'm actually pretty happy with her presence.

gliscor&yanmega

Finally watched the episode. I enjoyed it. I'm a bit more interested in Dragonite's role in the tournament now when watching it's battle, and knowing what's to come.

RWB

Dragon busted by Her
Key word being "almost". Pretty much every time that Burgundy goes against someone, It's always safe to assume that, regardless of whatever type advantage she has, she'll still lose against her opponent. I don't know if it happens because she simply sucks (to fit the Butt Monkey role) or because she just has a severe case of Can't Catch Up that's caused by her irrational obsession with Cilan, but it's starting to get really boring to see her constantly losing. I'm honestly hoping for the day that Burgundy Takes A Level or two in awesome and has the bearded Samurott to show it.

I'm honestly hoping they make an episode that focuses on Burgundy's development one day because:

1.) We still haven't seen what S-class or B-class Connoisseurs normally do or act like,
2.) It would be interesting to see an episode where she has to swallow her pride and ignore her desires for revenge long enough to have a chance at promotion, and
3.) I already had enough of Butt Monkeys when I saw the TRio before Unova, and I don't feel like seeing another main character who's only real purpose is to be comic relief and to lose (the latter is what we have COTDs for).

Well, that's my rant.

I suspect the writers may want to keep Cilan for the next Gen, so they are holding back Burgundy's development and any Connoiseur so they don't spend it all.

I suspect the writers may want to keep Cilan for the next Gen, so they are holding back Burgundy's development and any Connoiseur so they don't spend it all.

I doubt that. I don't think the writers want another Brock on their hands. Burgundy is being treated as a joke because that's simply what her role is. We're not supposed to take her seriously

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I doubt that. I don't think the writers want another Brock on their hands. Burgundy is being treated as a joke because that's simply what her role is. We're not supposed to take her seriously

RWB might have a point. Maybe that's why we have sudden surges of Iris "development" but not with Cilan.

RWB might have a point. Maybe that's why we have sudden surges of Iris "development" but not with Cilan.

Cilan doesn't get development because he doesn't have a story. His role in the group is to bring wisdom, experience, and silliness with his evaluations and tastings. He's the new Brock but with the connoisseur label added.

It's always Ash and the traveling girl that get the development during the saga.

Kind of hard to argue that when Burgundy is Cilan's rival.

Can't be a rival if you're supposed to be treated like a joke.

Well with Best Wishes having so many recurring rivals, the writers probably felt they could get away with one of them being treated poorly, which is Burgundy. She's probably treated this way to make Cilan look better in comparison.

Last edited:

randomspot555

I really don't like how Trip was basically able to plow through his opponent. I mean yeah, Serperior is his starter and yada, but cmon, he's been KOed on the first round in the previous tournaments. Give him a bit of a challenge. I guess it doesn't help that the writers have given me no reason to think he's interesting, so instead of thinking "Yeah, he's a jerk, but at least he's an interesting character", I just see him as a jerk, want him to lose, and want him off screen as soon as possible.

But I really didn't mind having everyone else be OHKOs since we got a good Dragonite vs Beartic fight. I'm a bit concerned about giving Iris TWO disobiedient Pokemon. But at the same time, this is a bit differet since she doesn't have a long history with Dragonite like she did with Excadrill.

Also, disappointed we aren't getting any Bel/Bianca :(

So, basically, a dumb episode. Trip is completely out of character, Georgia gets destroyed, and the episode is boring.

Nanami

Banned
Oh God! Alder and Cynthia at the start reminded me of Jiraiya and Tsunade no joke! Loved Ash's not amused face with the rivals. Was expecting Bianca to push him into the water but looks like he is a non show. I'm 85 % sure Christna Vee voices Catilin.

My favorite part was Caitlyn and Cynthia. The battle was exceptionally well done, and I loved that they were talking about knowing each other and battling a lot before. Caitlyn's VA was also nice.

SmartD

It's a great episode. The battle between Cynthia and Caitlin was neat. Burgundy should have focused on beating Trip instead of giving evaluations. And Dragonite didn't listen to Iris, it's like Ash's Charizard, except it's about power instead of laziness.

Nanami

Banned
Unless I missed something was the only actual damage move Trip used Solarbeam? One grass move takes out a fire type? I know game logic is not in the anime but really?

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Not a bad start to the new tournament arc. Cynthia and Cailtin's battle was well done, and Cailtin's voice was well suited for her. It's a shame that we got a measly draw, but I'm glad it wasn't another little win for Garchomp.

Trip is a donkey, as usually, Gerogia is bad***, Burgundy is a laughter, and the gang is all good. Ash, Iris, Cilan and Dawn all make it past the first round, which I'm glad it didn't leave off from a cliffhanger into the next episode. Beartic VS Dragonite was hilarious. xD I can't believe Dragonite just slapped Hidden Power to the side like it was nothing. He's a tough cookie. Still, Georgia can't take a loss no matter what; but she did have a point. Dragonite rarely listened to Iris and claims that she only lost to Dragonite, not Iris (herself with Dragonite UNDER her command). Hope we see a conclusion at some point.

What bugged me about Trip VS Burgundy was that Serperior took out Darmanitan with one Solar Beam. First, Serperior uses Leer which only decreases [physical] defense. Solar Beam wouldn't be more powerful since it's affected by special defense. Plus, not to mention, grass types aren't strong against fire types; but that clause is always ruled out in the anime. Oh well; I would still choose Trip over Burgundy nowadays.

Round 1 is already over; excellent. Round 2 next week, and I'm very excited to see more!

But wow Trip, relax would you? Just because you see things differently between Alder eye to eye, doesn't mean you have to be a jerk.

Also, I found it funny (and odd) for Alder to ask out Cynthia on a date during the first part of the episode. xD

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
This episode is still horrible. Dawn should have battled and beaten Burgundy in the 1st round, not Trip! Trip should have gotten Dawn's cotd in the 1st round :/

This episode is still horrible. Dawn should have battled and beaten Burgundy in the 1st round, not Trip! Trip should have gotten Dawn's cotd in the 1st round :/

The episode is pure garbage IMO,

but not for those reasons.

Nanami

Banned
I like how Dawn is being handled. Hope they do the same more often by just putting older people in the group for certain arcs but not focusing only on them. Makes it more like other anime of the same genre

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I still think that Tristan is a better name for Trip. Also, geez, that Thunderpunch was insanely strong...

What bugged me about Trip VS Burgundy was that Serperior took out Darmanitan with one Solar Beam. First, Serperior uses Leer which only decreases [physical] defense. Solar Beam wouldn't be more powerful since it's affected by special defense. Plus, not to mention, grass types aren't strong against fire types; but that clause is always ruled out in the anime. Oh well; I would still choose Trip over Burgundy nowadays.

Leer was actually used to, well, scare Darmanitan to keep it stunned into place, and that little time was enough for Serperior to use its broken Solarbeam. The only reasonable excuses I can find for that Solarbeam to even be effective are that Serperior's Sp. Attack was really high, POSSIBLY if it got a critical hit (which it didn't since the characters always insert a line saying when it is right after), and Darmanitan's level was pretty low.

Darkness Angel

Lover of Fate-Chan
Not really a fan of the whole Iris and Dragonite winning because it didn't listen to her at all.

cg19293

For a tournament episode I didn't really enjoy any of the actual battling. I do like Dragonite's personality though, and the dialogue in the episode was great. Especially Dawn's line "There sure are a lot of pains in the neck around here"

Also it was cool to see a member of the Elite 4 slightly losing her composure during battle, if only internally, though I wish that match had an outcome one way or the other.

Last edited: