• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Journey To The Starting Line! (014)

DarkWobbuffet

BEEEEAAAARR!!!
Meh. The opening part with Satoshi's old Pokemon was the main highlight of the episode, the rest of it was very boring and lackluster. I bet about 99% of the people who watched this episode wanted to smack around Hajime... the last 1% are the people without hands.

I was pretty imrpessed by Kenji and Hanako-chan's Barrierd though. Such rarely seen characters in this day and age getting decent spotlight.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Ugh, I really didn't like this special very much. It was the worst since the Raikou special. At least the first two Professor oak specials were interesting, but this one didn't even have Butch and Cassidy (and here I was complaining two weeks ago about being bored of seeing them all they time, they at least make the Professor Oak specials interesting). The mayor's son was annoying, but at least he changed by the end. I do think his voice was a little mature for his character, but at least the thing about him being the son of a politician seemed to fit with his personality. I liked how angry Bulbasaur got when the guy complained about Kanto starters. LOL The charmander was cute too.

Overall, 5/10. At least this weekend we have GARY!!! :D I'm definitely looking forward to that.

Francesc

Natsu no Maboroshi
That Gilbert kid is very annoying, you know. He doesn't deserve to have a Fushigidane, inestead, he should have a koratta. Anyway, I liked when the Tauros went mad, and that's all. I give it a 5/10

Umbreon_moon

Umbreon Master
"Why don't I just take Ash's Bulbasaur?" Man that kid's annoying. Tracey has the right to yell at him

Battra

I love this episode since we get to see more of Pallet town than just Ash's house and Oak's lab, other than this episode I do believe the 1st episode of the Pokemon series show more of Pallet town.

d_dan_n

<= Sabrina!
I thought this episode was great! but that kid, Gilbert, was so annoying!

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
That kid was really obnoxious, i want this and i want that, take what you're offered kid and be happy with that.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Gilbert is a really annoying kid. He really has no confidence to start the journey, If not Bulbasaur he was crushed by the Primeape. I loved how Ash's Bulbasaur behaved, he really showed how matured it is.

7.5/10

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
It was an okay episode, I liked how the past characters still reference Ash (Obviously Delia would lol) but not completely forgotten about him.. Gilbert is a bit annoying, oh yeah let's take Ash's Bulbasaur even if the little one was actually safe you wouldn't be taking it, glad the mayor doesn't have much influence apparently on what he gets, can you imagine poor Ash?

"Oh hey Prof Oak, I need Bulbasaur for the Battle Frontier, can you transfer him over?"

"Uh well you see Ash.. The mayor's son wanted your Bulbasaur and the mayor made me give it to him, but you can use Bayleef"

Ash: 0.0 "Bulbasaur!, I am getting my Bulbasaur back!" *Runs to finds Gilbert to find Bulbasaur has been forced to evolve into Venasaur by Gilbert "Bulbasaur!" *Cries*

G50

No longer posting
This episode was ok... Man, Gilbert was really annoying for most of this episode, but did start understanding Pokemon better as the episode went on. Bulbasaur's Vine Whips figures looked really cool and very realistic. Bulbasaur's reactions to what Gilbert was saying were priceless! The old woman was hilarious and annoying all at the same time!

47/100

Last edited:
I bet about 99% of the people who watched this episode wanted to smack around Hajime... the last 1% are the people without hands.

I totally agree with you!

This one was enjoyable. Gilbert was horrible with his horrible attitude, but as the episode progressed, he got less annoying and started to learn what it means to be a Pokemon trainer. That old woman who told everything she promised to not do was horrible and annoying. Ash's Bulbasaur had a great role in this episode. Nice to see Tracey and Ash's mother.

10/10.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
People sometimes forget in how bad most trainers act when they start out. I think it shows more character when they learn from their mistakes and get better. This is why I still love Ash.

ForgottenPearl

Another great Chronicles episode. They sure did a good job at making Gilbert come off as an annoying piss ant right from the start. And, the sad part is, I know some people who are like that all the time, so I can’t say he was unrealistic. -_- Besides, his cocky attitude was funny, and it gave him room to grow.

It was interesting to hear that Ash has a good reputation: usually, he’s just a nobody despite placing high in different tournaments and winning in the Orange Islands.

The old woman was a funny character. I especially appreciated the “rap-ish” tone of her announcement.

I noticed that they said Charmander wouldn’t be able to battle if its tail went out. Guess 4Kids didn’t feel comfortable using the word die again. And I liked how Ash’s mom and Tracey worked well together when saving that cute little Charmander. Ash’s mom knew how to handle Mr. Mime well.

It was funny to see what a coward Gilbert was after all that boasting. Plus, Oak saving Squirtle and Bulbasaur saving Oak was amusing—not to mention it showed their teamwork. These episodes really do give Professor Oak and Bulbasaur more character.

The little Bulbasaur was super cute during the flashbacks of it running about, especially when it was blending in as a figurine. :) The scene with the Primeape managed to be funny and compelling, especially when Ash’s Bulbasaur was willing to put itself into danger.

Gilbert sure reformed fast, but I guess that’s inevitable when you only have a nineteen-minute episode to introduce him and have his story take place. It was nice to see him open up to that Squirtle and then to the Bulbasaur.

And they’re right: the bond between a trainer and their first Pokémon is special. :)

Oh, and... What happened to the Tauros? They burst through the fence, right...? Guess we’re supposed to assume they came back on their own, unless I missed something. Not a big deal, though.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Ash's Tauros ruining Oak's sitting room was funny, plus I liked watching professor Oak, Ash's mom, Tracy and Gilbert search for the missing starter pokemon as well. The Primeape chase scene was exciting. :3

Zamin

This was a cool episode. Gilbert was hella annoying to start with but developed as the episode progressed. It was cool seeing all of Ash's Pokemon and his Mum, Oak and Tracy again. I wonder if we will run into Gilbert again.

He reminds me of certain kids around his age haha

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
It was funny when Muk got attached to Tracey lol. I thought that the Pallet Town mayor's son was super stuck up tbh. Good to see Delia's Mr. Mime use an attack finally. It was kinda funny when Oak was trying to confront the Primeape, too.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Hajime resembled a young Satoshi somewhat, and he even had some of Satoshi's old naiveté at the beginning. Frankly, I would've chosen Hitokage as my Starter if I had been him since we had seen so many Fushigidane during Advanced Generation, but it's not like we ever got to see Hajime again after this special regardless.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Gilbert get on my last nerve. I was expecting him to have a voice like Max's. In this episode, we get to see more of Pallet town than just Ash's house and Oak's lab.