• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Joy Con Drifting help

Magical Pokemon

I love Care Bears!
Hopefully it's okay for me to ask this here. I've had my Nintendo Switch for 3 years since December 2017. And, my left joy con drifts so bad it's affecting both the games I play and my experience on the Nintendo e-shop. I've also had the same joy cons (grey) for 3 years as well. I live in the USA and I was wondering my options for fixing my joy-cons. I've re-calibrated it (my left joy con) many times now, and it seems like it's getting worse.

Where I live, brand-new joy cons would cost me $80 ($20 more than a brand-new Switch game). Also, is Nintendo still allowing us to send in our joy cons to fix them for free/no charge? Is that a good idea?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
You can indeed still send in Joy-Cons to get fixed for free. In fact, I literally, just an hour ago, packed up my own Joy-Cons to send in to Nintendo for repair. They make it really easy to do so. All you have to do is go to Nintendo's support website, and there will be links all over for setting up Joy-Con repairs. Unlike other repairs, you don't even have to call Nintendo to set it up, you can do it all online, and they'll send you a shipping label. You just package up your Joy-Cons, attach the shipping label Nintendo e-mails you, and drop it off at any place you can send UPS packages. Super easy, definitely a better idea than buying new ones.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
It sort of depends on where they live. If they live in the US/Canada, then yes, you can send them in for free. Services in other countries may not be so generous.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It sort of depends on where they live. If they live in the US/Canada, then yes, you can send them in for free. Services in other countries may not be so generous.

Magical Pokémon mentioned they live in the US.

Magical Pokemon

I love Care Bears!
My mom's going to buy me new ones.

Thanks for helping!!

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
My mom's going to buy me new ones.

Thanks for helping!!

Honestly, if you're going to get new ones anyways, I suggest you still send the broken ones in. It's completely free, so now you'll have two sets of working Joy-Cons instead of one. Can't see a reason not to, myself.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Yeah, if it's free, you should still send your old ones in.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Definitely. Then you'll have two sets of working joycons.

Got mine repaired recently and Nintendo did a good job. Same with repairing my Nintendo Switch. It's well worth sending them in.

Magical Pokemon

I love Care Bears!
I bought a new pair of joy-cons (purple and orange). But I will be sending in my old pair to be repaired.

Sketchie

literally some guy
Sending all six of ours in, my right one is so bad it's unusable at this point. I'd rather not buy more joycons, we don't need eight for two switches, so it looks like no switch for a minute. How long do they usually take, does anyone know?

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Sending all six of ours in, my right one is so bad it's unusable at this point. I'd rather not buy more joycons, we don't need eight for two switches, so it looks like no switch for a minute. How long do they usually take, does anyone know?
It took around a few weeks or so for my joycons and same goes for my Switch. It also depends on the time of year.

te0001lm

I sprayed a little bit of contact cleaner into the base after lifting up the rubber skirt and rotated the joy-con a few rounds. It has been working fine ever since. Give it a try and hopefully it works for all of you.