• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jul 13: M21 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: Everyone's Story (June 28: TV special)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I think the reason they're doing movies this way is moreso to allow the anime to explore the legendaries and more serious storylines rather than save them for the movies. Most of Alola's legendaries are pretty interconnected anyway, it would make more sense to explore them in the anime because what's left if they save them for the movies?

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
interested in seeing team rocket with the new style.

I hope they actually play a role this time.
Just make the main focus Ash, the new girl, TRio, Zeraora, and Lugia.

the only concern i have is that if this is a retelling of the lugia movie, zeraora will just get shoehorned into the plot for no reason.

No.... having Lugia, the bird trio AND Zeraora all in one movie would just be too much.
Lugia and Zeraora should have their own stories, the elemental birds minus Articuno had episodes not so long ago. I'm not eager to see them show up again.

It's bad enough the last movie copied the whole Ash dying thing. We all know Ash is the chosen one so that shtick will still likely apply to this.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I'm torn. On one hand, I hate the reboot/remake fetish that Hollywood has nowadays, so a Japanese work following suit is making me a bit mad. On the other, I love the art and the new character design in this. The colors are vibrant and lively.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
All I could think of is a Pokémon Cinematic Universe, or PCU.

Separate continuity from the anime that tells the story of Movie Ash Like the DCEU and CW verse.

Also does this mean Necrozma would be used for the anime?

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
All I could think of is a Pokémon Cinematic Universe, or PCU.

Separate continuity from the anime that tells the story. Like the DCEU and CW verse.

If the anime no longer has to deal with the constraints of needing to tie into the main anime, then they should establish a cinematic universe outright. That means they need to try out a variety of protagonist types rather than deuteragonists and tritagonists. We should have antiheroes, traditional heroes, antivillains. Hell, they should do some good genres and stories: hero's journey, action, a good self-parody etc.

NatsuLian

To rediscover and re-route lost connection with the core base and take the necessary risks to not jade audiences with copy-and-paste versions of the same film, I daresay this novel offering will bring about a heightened awareness for the film. Remember, box-office wise, the Pokemon films had been on decline ever since the Genesect movie which brought in around Y3 billion. However, the last film, "Pokemon: I Choose You!" usurped the downward trend and brought in Y3.41 billion at the Japanese box office with an opening weekend of Y516.2 million which was a whopping 60% higher than the Volcanion movie. Although the film did experience high nostalgic exposure due to it being the 20th anniversary movie, other factors such its viral videos, emotional output, and overall quality enabled it to topple previous Pokemon movie releases.

As of now, forecasts should be around Y2.5-3 billion, but should the marketing campaign and quality prove to be suffice and connect with audiences, anything north of Y2.8 billion is possible. Furthermore, the film is slated to open in July like previous Pokemon films, and will benefit from Golden Week, one of the most prolific times for the Japanese box-office. As for whether or not it will increase it is unlikely as PIXAR will release The Incredibles 2 next summer along with the One Piece film being released. Thus, as long as the film does not decrease by much, it can be deemed a success.

Hoennking

To rediscover and re-route lost connection with the core base and take the necessary risks to not jade audiences with copy-and-paste versions of the same film, I daresay this novel offering will bring about a heightened awareness for the film. Remember, box-office wise, the Pokemon films had been on decline ever since the Genesect movie which brought in around Y3 billion. However, the last film, "Pokemon: I Choose You!" usurped the downward trend and brought in Y3.41 billion at the Japanese box office with an opening weekend of Y516.2 million which was a whopping 60% higher than the Volcanion movie. Although the film did experience high nostalgic exposure due to it being the 20th anniversary movie, other factors such its viral videos, emotional output, and overall quality enabled it to topple previous Pokemon movie releases.

As of now, forecasts should be around Y2.5-3 billion, but should the marketing campaign and quality prove to be suffice and connect with audiences, anything north of Y2.8 billion is possible. Furthermore, the film is slated to open in July like previous Pokemon films, and will benefit from Golden Week, one of the most prolific times for the Japanese box-office. As for whether or not it will increase it is unlikely as PIXAR will release The Incredibles 2 next summer along with the One Piece film being released. Thus, as long as the film does not decrease by much, it can be deemed a success.

Yeah cars 3 was no hype in japan. Tho. 20th movie released girtina and minions which both did great

MissAngel

Drizzile=My Spirit Pokemon
Not particularly enthused by this.

Sure, the art style is nice and the movies not just being filler for the anime featuring a mythical has potential. I didn't care for the last movie at all, though, and if the fan theory of this movie featuring Lugia is true, this sounds very dull. If Zeraora is in this, I hope it's not as poorly used as Marshadow was in I Choose You. Also, Ash better have more than just Pikachu and Charizard with him. The girl's design is not to my taste, but she has potential if they try to flesh her out.

They get credit for trying to be more artistic, but it matters little if they don't pull it off.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Glad we'll have no Alola movies for good. Animation is alright, it's still better than SM so I have no complaints about it.
I can't wait to find out what region will it take place at. Also, Ash blusing over new girl? hm.

NatsuLian

Yeah cars 3 was no hype in japan. Tho. 20th movie released girtina and minions which both did great

True to a certain degree, however, unlike other Japanese releases, the Pokemon films have always been front-loaded, making more than half of their profit in their first few weeks. Additionally, Illumination almost always releases their tentpole films in the third week of July or near the climax of summer and Pokemon always chooses to release a few weeks earlier so as to not only shy away from Illumination, but other tent-pole films as well. Furthermore, unlike the U.S. many tent-pole films and animated features can co-exist. However, as we saw with Moana and Minions, they can at times cannibalize each other or take away from each other's audiences. This is the case with the Incredibles II which will most certainly have a large nostalgic factor behind it and PIXAR has always done well at the Japanese box-office until recently that is and even then, they're not outright bombs when compared to other releases. The Cars franchise on the other hand never did that well in Japan, with it actually tainting PIXAR's box-office success with each release being more mediocre than the last. Unlike PIXAR, the Pokemon franchise has always been very formulaic that's why audiences have been jaded and no longer view the movies as a must-see theatrical experience. They needed to take this/these risk(s) to save the franchise. Change is only as good as its execution.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
You know... I'd love it if this movie is testing the waters of having just Ash and a female companion as a main character. The third character is pretty useless majority of the time anyways, more time for Ash's team to grow and develop and the female would have more time too.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I don't mind this new look.

I'm interested about his clothing. New region? Also new character looks pretty cool.

xEryChan

Demon Child
Ash is one hundred percent on fire in this movie. He. Looks. Great!

Love the fact that movie 20 Ash was not just a one time thing. I am definitely looking forward to see where they are going to go with this movie.

Hoennking

I think this is ash best look easily lol. I dislike his sun and moon but he looks good here. Like a higher budget star

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
So seems like they are establishing a separate movie universe and anime universe. I'm kind of ok with this tbh as the anime movies tend to have no impact on anything.

Plus this means they can do the Alolan legends just in the anime which is going better so far tbh.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
The only two things I can assume with this trailer is that they're finally answering two of the fandom's biggest complaints by making movie 20 Ash actually age & giving him a real love interest.

While the art style feels a little off, it does kind of give me the feeling that Ash actually looks like he's grown and they seem to be putting a lot of emphasis on this girl for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.