• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jul 15: Movie 20 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! (Dec 11: Movie 21 reveal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
And then leave it to Sabrina to train while going to another region ...

In OS Why did Haunter follow Ash?

It was interested in him after hanging out with him for a while. And then Sabrina clearly needed it more as it would be able to keep her from getting too intense about her powers so I'm assuming that's why he left Haunter with her the first time.

dp045

Well, if so hopefully in the movie Ash challenge Sabrina and see a Haunter vs. Kadabra and in that battle evolve to Gengar and win. At least I would like to see what reach Haunter had ... (and see if Mega-evolve later, lol).

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Well, if so hopefully in the movie Ash challenge Sabrina and see a Haunter vs. Kadabra and in that battle evolve to Gengar and win.

I don't think we've seen a Trade Pokemon evolve without a Trade actually taking place. Politoed and Slowking are exceptions because they have items, which could work differently in the anime.

dp045

I don't think we've seen a Trade Pokemon evolve without a Trade actually taking place. Politoed and Slowking are exceptions because they have items, which could work differently in the anime.

There are also cases of the Clamperl in Hoenn. But yes, they are the same case as those you mentioned.

Spyro39

Let's not forget Jessie's Pumpkaboo evolved into Gourgeist via trading in XY.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I don't want Ash to have just Kanto/Johto Pokémon. Only Charmander and Butterfree are confirmed to be his but let his other regional Pokémon shine in this movie. Or have him catch his regular Pokémon and showcase them based on popularity equally... some more than others. :D

And THANK YOU Sushi for reminding a few irritating boneheads.

Spyro39

I don't want Ash to have just Kanto/Johto Pokémon. Only Charmander and Butterfree are confirmed to be his but let his other regional Pokémon shine in this movie. Or have him catch his regular Pokémon and showcase them based on popularity equally... some more than others. :D

Given that this movie takes place in the beginning, Ash never likely caught Pokemon beyond Johto, so I don't expect non-Kanto Pokemon on his team.

Given that this movie takes place in the beginning, Ash never likely caught Pokemon beyond Johto, so I don't expect non-Kanto Pokemon on his team.

Considering there are more Pokemon from different regions in Kanto now, I wouldn't say it's too much for him (or, more likely, Soji and Makoto) to catch non-Kanto Pokemon.

Tuoko

No in fact it has happened before with the Volcanion movie manga where the manga had difference and was different then the movie. Basically the Ash where seeing in Sun&Moon is the same Ash we saw from the very beginning while the one were seeing in Movie 20 is a AU Ash.

Eh, it makes sense for Movie 20 Ash to be the same as SM Ash, while OS-XY Ash is done with when you add everything up.

1. XYZ ended with "End to our own way" rather than the typical "Next time, a new beginning!"
2. The voice director said that SM was not a continuation of XYZ, with Ash and Pikachu being new characters.
3. The trailer describes the movie as Ash's origin story.
4. The manga for the movie implies that SM Ash is the same one from M20

ShadowForce720

Eh, it makes sense for Movie 20 Ash to be the same as SM Ash, while OS-XY Ash is done with when you add everything up.

1. XYZ ended with "End to our own way" rather than the typical "Next time, a new beginning!"
2. The voice director said that SM was not a continuation of XYZ, with Ash and Pikachu being new characters.

Except you can't really use that as proof as we've seen cases of the manga's that are based of the movies being different from the actual movies. Plus there is nothing really about that they were going to reboot the series in that way. So unless they specifically come out and say that the Sun and Moon anime are taking place in the same universe a movie 20 or we get Makoto and/or Soji appearing in the anime and recognizing Ash as having travel with him before then it makes more sense that the Ash where seeing in SM is the same Ash from the original series.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!

Hold up, when did anyone say SM is not a continuation of XY(&Z) and SM Ash and Pikachu are new characters? SM Ash is the same Ash we have had since OS. He is the same character in a new region. The ending of XY&Z (which was "And to our own way") doesn't mean that SM is a completely new story. Each character went their own way, so that line fit.

M20 Ash is, as appears so far, an AU Ash, separate from the Ash from the TV series. The movie is the origin story of this AU Ash. As for the manga, that's a loose adaptation of the movie, and should not be taken as a reflection of the anime or its characters.

Tuoko

Except you can't really use that as proof as we've seen cases of the manga's that are based of the movies being different from the actual movies. Plus there is nothing really about that they were going to reboot the series in that way. So unless they specifically come out and say that the Sun and Moon anime are taking place in the same universe a movie 20 or we get Makoto and/or Soji appearing in the anime and recognizing Ash as having travel with him before then it makes more sense that the Ash where seeing in SM is the same Ash from the original series.

If you look at it separately, it's not really convincing, but as a whole? It does. I should've clarified that in my post.

Now I'm not asking everyone to believe in it, just merely pointing out the whole thing.

Hold up, when did anyone say SM is not a continuation of XY(&Z) and SM Ash and Pikachu are new characters? SM Ash is the same Ash we have had since OS. He is the same character in a new region. The ending of XY&Z (which was "And to our own way") doesn't mean that SM is a completely new story. Each character went their own way, so that line fit.

M20 Ash is, as appears so far, an AU Ash, separate from the Ash from the TV series. The movie is the origin story of this AU Ash. As for the manga, that's a loose adaptation of the movie, and should not be taken as a reflection of the anime or its characters.

Alright, I stand corrected on the "And to our own way" point, but it'd make sense why they didn't do the usual "To be continued" / "And next time, a new beginning". As for the manga, I clarified on that earlier in this post.

And it was these four tweets:
https://twitter.com/Sunma47/status/799012938921054209
https://twitter.com/Sunma47/status/799013060111273984
https://twitter.com/Sunma47/status/799013157435883520
https://twitter.com/Sunma47/status/799013201702580227

Moreso the third one, which was translated

『ポケットモンスター XY&Z』の続きではない、全く新しいサトシとピカチュウのアローラでの発見、冒険、友情を皆さんに感じて貰える事、心から嬉しく、また感謝で一杯だ。

It's not a continuation of Pocket Monsters XY&Z, it's a completely new Satoshi and Pikachu's discoveries, adventures, and friendship with everyone in Alola. Full of gratitude from the bottom of their heart.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Well, there are many valid reasons to be "negative" and not have many expectations with whatever they do with pokémon, but at least now with this movie if there should be a little more hope since they could do things well and Give a good job with the anime pokémon.

I wasn't too hyped for this film from the beginning ha ha. Watching Ash pursue Ho-Oh with new characters for an hour and a half just doesn't click with me, tho to be fair the same would probably apply even if Brock and Misty had returned.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
No way, Ash is already traveling across the world to find Ho oh with his friends. He's bound to catch new Pokémon and relieve his fix on catching them.

That guy took it out of context. I remember that part of what he was saying but Dephender clarified it. I'll just have to do some more digging in the threads to find it again...

"sigh" Another jab to SM, typical. :/

Last edited:

Tuoko

That guy took it out of context. I remember that part of what he was saying but Dephender clarified it. I'll just have to do some more digging in the threads to find it again...

I wasn't really "jabbing" at it, though. I never once hated SM (or this movie for that matter).

And it was pointed out on another forum that it was an argument over semantics and interpretation instead of mistranslation.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

Dephender shot this mistranslation down a while back.

dp045

I know that you are very fan of SM anime and not like to say something bad about it (like XY fans) but in this case the user was not demeaning the SM anime, but only expressed an idea of continuity . Of course, the user is wrong to assume that SM is a would not continue to XY & Z because it was explicitly said that SM follows the same thread from OS but is something understandable since the official source where this is confirmed is written in Japanese that is Very different from English and translating it gives place to not very accurate interpretations. In general the fandom is not bad because there are toxic users, but because there are hyper sensitive users who take everything as an offense.

In short, as more information is revealed and more context of the characters are less likely to occur these errors. In this week's Pokémon program, could more details be revealed about the movie?

Last edited:

Tuoko

Dephender shot this mistranslation down a while back.

Well, alright then.

I know that you are very fan of SM anime and not like to say something bad about it (like XY fans) but in this case the user was not demeaning the SM anime, but only expressed an idea of continuity . Of course, the user is wrong to assume that SM is a would not continue to XY & Z because it was explicitly said that SM follows the same thread from OS but is something understandable since the official source where this is confirmed is written in Japanese that is Very different from English and translating it gives place to not very accurate interpretations. In general the fandom is not bad because there are toxic users, but because there are hyper sensitive users who take everything as an offense.

In short, as more information is revealed and more context of the characters are less likely to occur these errors. In this week's Pokémon program, could more details be revealed about the movie?

That's what my whole intention with bringing up the idea here was - to suggest that maybe SM actually is a different continuity and M20 would be giving SM Ash's origin story. I never wanted to demean the saga.

Though if they actually do intend on SM being a different continuity, only time would tell on if they decide to reference the movie (or the SM anime vice versa) in some way.

As for your question on possible movie details, that would definitely be nice.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Let's see here are predictions for Ash's and his companions's team in the movie:

Ash's Team:
Pikachu
Butterfree
Venusaur
Lapras
Gengar
Sandslash

not sure if he will get more then that

Makoto:
Empoleon
Charizard
Cleable/Wigglytuff
Vileplume
Rhyperior
Electrode

Soji:
Lucario
Blastoise
Marowak
Rapidash
Golem
Alakazam

Kinda doubt of these. Ash is mostly probably doing almost all the fight there, there's no reason to actually give full teams to the other two. While it isn't impossible see the Kanto starters being splited between the companions this time, Ash having all the three is a shout out to the original I don't think they'll change + charizard is as iconic as his ace as pikachu.

Well, the movie takes place in Kanto, but I think it'll use the 7th gen mechanics, so, Ash could just catch gengar already evolved (like using SOS).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.