• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jul 15: Movie 20 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! (Dec 11: Movie 21 reveal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I'm guessing this will be less of a retelling and more of a reimagining. Perhaps give Ash a little backstory and then create an entire plot centered around Ho-Oh. Probably will either not include Ash's badge quest or focus extremely little on it.

I just really, really hope that we get Brock in this. I miss him so much.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
to be completely honest, i would've preferred a movie set in alola with the current characters we have. i feel like this should be it's own special or something instead of the next pokemon movie. nonetheless, the trailer has me hyped. like the others said, it looks like a re-imagining of ash's start as a pokemon trainer, which seems like a cool way to celebrate the anime's 20th anniversary.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Bravo, Pokémon Company marketing department. You have managed to pique everyone's interest without actually revealing anything concrete about this movie.

I'm honestly not sure what to make of this. I will say this, though: The trailer looks absolutely gorgeous; I'm getting serious Studio Ghibli vibes from the scenery. I look forward to seeing the character designs. Going by that brief clip of Ash, it appears we're getting pre-SM character designs (maybe even pre-XY, since he doesn't have fingernails), but the animators could always surprise us.

I was hoping the 20th movie would celebrate the anime and/or the franchise in some way, so if this is a reimagining of Ash's Kanto adventures, then I think I can be down with that. I'd prefer a reimagining over a retelling, since a retelling of an entire season in a 90-minute movie is bound to leave out some details.

I'm also looking forward to the distribution of Ash-Pikachu.

What's with the redesign of Ash's hat? It's his OS Pokémon League hat, but with the squared design from the SM hat.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
What if this is SM Ash giving a report about his past adventures and highlights from the OS-XY in the school he's attending as an assignment?

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
Well this looks interesting
What if this is SM Ash giving a report about his past adventures and highlights from the OS-XY in the school he's attending as an assignment?

That sounds awesome and ti could work in this context

Red and Blue

I'd rather they just limit this to Kanto. If they try and squeeze in six gens its going to be an absolute mess

nuzamaki90

My money is on this being a side story that happened while Ash was on his break in between regional travels

What a way to celebrate the 20th anniversary

johno1995

My money is on this being a side story that happened while Ash was on his break in between regional travels

I could see something like this working: Maybe tracking down Ho-oh in between Kalos and Alola? Or it'd just have an indeterminate place in the timeline and just hop right to some sort of storyline that could be placed literally anywhere. I'd like to see a new story taking place in Kanto rather than a reimagining/retelling of Ash's original adventure. Bring back Misty and Brock to some capacity and tell a new story, and I'm down.

Kein

AKA Silktree
The art style alone makes it clear that we're dealing with a reimagining rather than a retelling.

It's obviously about the beginning of his journey. The title, poster and trailer all spell it out.

Genaller

Silver Soul
If they're at the very least retelling Kanto, I'd love to see classic battles like Pikachu vs Raichu 2 and Charizard vs Magmar re-animated. I doubt they'll show Ash's entire journey from Kanto to Kalos since then they'd only get about 15 minutes per region (and this is not counting OI and BF). If they do all of OS, then it would also be cool to get some re-animated scenes of Ash vs Drake and Ash vs Gary JL. Based on Ash's hat design though, my guess is that this will be an alternate timeline that starts of similarly to Kanto but then diverges into its own separate story.

Xeogran

Marshadow Fan
Remember when S/M Scan was revealed and people told me "say goodbye to any kind of continuity or old characters"

Well, what now? Thinking that Art Style change decides on the plot... What a foolish thing to say.

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
Remember when S/M Scan was revealed and people told me "say goodbye to any kind of continuity or old characters"

Well, what now? Thinking that Art Style change decides on the plot... What a foolish thing to say.

Meanwhile XYZ fanboys look at the complete lack of continuity LOL.
BTW the new hat looks cool like a mash up of OS and SM Design knda a bridge between series

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash

I'm glad it seems like we're getting more continuity as opposed to the lack of continuity we had in XY(Z).
Meanwhile XYZ fanboys look at the complete lack of continuity LOL.
BTW the new hat looks cool like a mash up of OS and SM Design knda a bridge between series
The new hat looks amazing and the animation in general as well.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.

Delia appeared in S/M, so her existence at least proved Ash set out on a journey.

And that's about the only piece of consistent continuity.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Didn't he also mention he had Tauros in the first episode? That was continuity

It could be that, despite the writers not bringing up a lot, these references are getting free passes because they are all Gen 1 related, and Alola is pretty much a region idolizing Gen 1.

So it's not likely any other reference will get through unless the S/M game content dictates it (in other words, past characters like Cynthia showing up).

Last edited:

Kein

AKA Silktree

It is hardly just the art style. I don't see them promoting a movie for 7 months if it just about known events from 1997; they will do things differently for added hype.

Janovy

Banned
It is hardly just the art style. I don't see them promoting a movie for 7 months if it just about known events from 1997; they will do things differently for added hype.
This is why I think the movie will take an alternate approach to the original storyline so the events that occur here will be totally different from ones in the original series, with Ho-oh potentially getting a greater role.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
So I'm guessing:

Movie 20: 20th anniversary
Movie 21: Marshadow, Solgaleo and Lunala maybe?
Movie 22: Necrozma, 8th Gen legendary, maybe Mew? (They have to distribute Mew with Mewnium Z somehow, right?)

Status
Not open for further replies.