1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Jul 15: Movie 20 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! (Dec 11: Movie 21 reveal)

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Dephender, Dec 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frozocrone

Frozocrone Miraculous!

Pikachu licking Ash is the cutest thing about this trailer.

2. EmphaticPikachu

EmphaticPikachu A tired little girl~

they probably did it on purpose- not only have we already seen this type of animation in reanimated BW scenes but I think it just fits better if you really want to keep up the nostalgia.
    You know, I know that's objectively true, but watching it feels a tiny bit different. Probably has to do with my memories being the dub.

Like, when Satoshi says "I like you" to pikachu, it sounds more direct and emotional then off the cuff- in the original English dub Ash stated it very matter of fact like and it flowed smoothly into the rest of his sentence to prove his point.
    "well I like you a lot."

Either it's weird editing for the trailer or a script change. Not really saying either is better, just, interesting I guess.

could just be editing though.

3. Rohanator

Rohanator Well-Known Member

Yeah, while the script is the same the tone is totally different. Which is to be expected, the show's style hasn't been like the Kanto days for over 15 years. It's kinda funny, we always say that Ash's character matured over time, but in reality that probably didn't have much to do with the writers choosing to progress him, but with the show as a whole taking a less comedic and snarky turn in its directing. So now, when they remake old material or create new flashbacks of younger Ash it won't align with his original personality, but rather what everyone's used to in the current days.

4. EmphaticPikachu

EmphaticPikachu A tired little girl~

I hope it isn't the case, the comedy was my favorite part imo.

that said I'll let it go, it could be very likely that it was edited to fit an emotional trailer- afterall, it cut straight to Pikachu's face showing a concerned look, and they were jumping around in the first episode already.

5. dp045

dp045 Well-Known Member

Will not there be any short for this movie?

6. It's as cute as it was in the first episode :3

7. Rohanator

Rohanator Well-Known Member

A short would be a nice way of slipping in some Sun and Moon content actually.

Tho while they're at it I'd like it if they made a Team Rocket one, we have a special on how they became a team but perhaps they could write a story of their time between that and meeting Ash. Or just a retold origin story.

8. Nodame

Nodame Cute Pokemon fan

Pikachu is adorable omg and where is Misty....

9. The Great Butler

The Great Butler Hush, keep it down

Why are some people on page 41 talking about Team Rocket when they're, as far as I can tell, nowhere to be seen yet?

10. Blaze Master X

Blaze Master X Gigantamax Toxtricity

This trailer looks beautiful. I like it. ~

11. XXD17

XXD17 Draco rex

The original Japanese theme for season 1 also played at the end. I wonder if they will remix the first dubbed theme when the movie gets localized?

12. Vipsoccermaster

Vipsoccermaster Well-Known Member

They're bound to appear if the movie is a "retelling" of the original episodes back then. Plus, they're the guys that constantly go after Pikachu and fight against him all the time.

Looking forward to this movie in the holiday season of 2017, that is, if it airs during that time. And to see the potential differences it has, other than Ho-Oh leaving behind a Rainbow Wing for Ash.

13. mystic9899

mystic9899 Pokemon fan

damn, that shot of pikachu licking ash is awesome. i hope this movie does a good job on focusing on their bond.

14. satopi

satopi Go’s Scyther is indestriketible! <3

I thought that there would be a Pikachu short before the movie plays.

15. Xenon Blue

Xenon Blue No Hard Feelings

So is this just a remastered version of the very first episode? The plot is basically identical (heck, even the dialogue is identical) with some tweaking here and there with the Ho-oh stuff. If this is indeed what we are getting, then it is a disappointment. A remastered episode is fine and all, but it shouldn't be dedicated into a movie. The fact that the anime seems to acknowledge this anime has a history is nice, but nobody asked for revisiting the first episode and then reanimate it with some refinements and call that a movie. If it was some sort of OVA or special episode, then I'm all for it, but otherwise I feel like this is the writer's way of saying "You want continuity? Here, have some. Now scram." Of course this movie could surprise me and somehow be completely original for the most part and the anime just decided to show all the repeated stuff and advertise as if this is what we should expect, which makes no sense, but as of now I don't have high hopes for this movie.

Now watch this whole "Pokemon remastered" not even be a movie and completely catch me off guard. That would be something.

16. i2i

i2i Big Bad Wolf

To answer your question not really at best the beginning will be the remastered version of the very first episode while the rest can be new.

17. diakyu

diakyu Well-Known Member

I take it there's been discussion about how Ash's backpack is also different? There's definitely more here than just a simple retelling, I'm convinced now.

18. Janovy

Janovy Banned

I'm curious, do you intentionally ignore all the clues that this will be an original story just for the sake complaining or do you legitimately think they will expand a 20 min episode into a hour and half long movie?

If this were as simple as you say, there would be no reason for hints, no reason for secrecy. Why hide the movie's plot and allude to Ho-oh significance if the movie is just a recut version of first two-three episodes?

Why the Rainbow Feather? Why add that particular change? Why alter Ash's design? (His cap logo was changed but the old logo was placed on his backpack)

There are too many pointers indicating an original story for it not to be one.

19. dp045

dp045 Well-Known Member

No, in fact most are over-thinking all the "supposed clues" that are seen in the trailer. The truth is that with the description and the images that are even recycled from the original episode is meant to be more like a remake of the first episode than an original story. Also it is only a trailer, it is probable that some events do not happen like in the trailer, for example the scene of the pen of Ho-Oh more than nothing is to say that Ash had a encounter with a legendary bird, the other things like the Change of logo design of the cap is only aesthetic and very superficial to consider as a clue that it will be a completely new story.

20. diakyu

diakyu Well-Known Member

A superficial change with literally no reason for it to have happened. It's intentional and for a reason. This change in design separates OG Ash and Movie 20 Ash for a specific reason. Why change Ash's iconic hat for the movie that most think is just a retelling of the first few episodes. Barring only the actual Pokeball, Ash's OG hat is the most iconic piece of merch from the anime and dare I say the entire franchise. Doesn't make sense to change it if this was purely a retelling. They didn't do it just for the lulz

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.