• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jul 15: Movie 20 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! (Dec 11: Movie 21 reveal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dp045

A superficial change with literally no reason for it to have happened. It's intentional and for a reason. This change in design separates OG Ash and Movie 20 Ash for a specific reason. Why change Ash's iconic hat for the movie that most think is just a retelling of the first few episodes? Doesn't make sense. They didn't do it just for the lulz

Well the truth is that it is only a cosmetic change without much importance since in the beginning of the adventure of Ash would be the one we all know, only better because we would see a little closer to Ho-Oh and would not be Misty Nor Brock, in my opinion.

No, seriously the reason why it is that they changed the design of the cap I believe that more than anything is to draw the attention of the nostalgic public saying "that the thing will be different because the cap is new" so I do not really have a Good feeling of how the movie ended up.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I wonder if we'll see Serena appear in some capacity (because they retconned Ash's past to include her as a childhood friend).

That would make it somewhat different from a retelling of episodes 1-3.

Janovy

Banned
Well the truth is that it is only a cosmetic change without much importance since in the beginning of the adventure of Ash would be the one we all know, only better because we would see a little closer to Ho-Oh and would not be Misty Nor Brock, in my opinion.
Your argument makes no sense. You still failed to explain why they would change Ash's cap and keep the rest of his design intact.

Logical assumption = differentiate him from OS Ash.

No, seriously the reason why it is that they changed the design of the cap I believe that more than anything is to draw the attention of the nostalgic public saying "that the thing will be different because the cap is new" so I do not really have a Good feeling of how the movie ended up.
Also the part where Ho-oh and Rainbow Feather exist, but I guess we can ignore that so you can continue *****ing about it.

dp045

Your argument makes no sense. You still failed to explain why they would change Ash's cap and keep the rest of his design intact.

Logical assumption = differentiate him from OS Ash.

Also the part where Ho-oh and Rainbow Feather exist, but I guess we can ignore that so you can continue *****ing about it.

Let me see a compelling argument that changing a ****ing's loga means that the story will be different. Only based on the official revealed information can be concluded that the film will not be very different from the events of the first episode. Besides the pen of Ho-Oh would only be to make known that this time Ash had a close encounter with the legendary bird and not leave it so ambiguous for Ash.

Last edited:

Xuxuba

I hope they include stuff like Ash bringing Pikachu to his house for the first time. I love those little moments between them before they warmed up to each other.

Also, this movie is the perfect oportunity to introduce Ash's dad.
maxresdefault.jpg

Red and Blue

I wonder if we'll see Serena appear in some capacity (because they retconned Ash's past to include her as a childhood friend).

How was that a retcon? It's not like Serena being in Ash's childhood contradicted anything.

As for your question I doubt she is appearing

Janovy

Banned
Let me see a compelling argument that changing a ****ing's loga means that the story will be different. Only based on the official revealed information can be concluded that the film will not be very different from the events of the first episode. Besides the pen of Ho-Oh would only be to make known that this time Ash had a close encounter with the legendary bird and not leave it so ambiguous for Ash.
I already mentioned several arguments, but for some stupid reason, you are stuck on the freaking logo.

EVEN WITHOUT THE LOGO, everything points towards a new story: the Rainbow Feather, emphasis on Ho-oh, the fact they are being secretive about the movie, most of all.

If this movie were just a rehash, there would be zero secrecy because we are all familiar with the events from the original series. They are keeping stuff from us making it pretty OBVIOUS this is something way different.

You, on the other hand, have no real arguments to refute mine. I'm listening.

dp045

I already mentioned several arguments, but for some stupid reason, you are stuck on the freaking logo.

EVEN WITHOUT THE LOGO, everything points towards a new story: the Rainbow Feather, emphasis on Ho-oh, the fact they are being secretive about the movie, most of all.

If this movie were just a rehash, there would be zero secrecy because we are all familiar with the events from the original series. They are keeping stuff from us making it pretty OBVIOUS this is something way different.

You, on the other hand, have no real arguments to refute mine. I'm listening.

It is supposed to be a movie should create some expectation in the audience to justify spending the money on the ticket of that movie. As you say the emphasis on Ho-Oh is what most stands out but so far there is no real indication that his interaction with Ash is more transcendental than the one seen in the first episode and it is not as if they have not done this same in The other films that the franchise has.

Janovy

Banned
You know what I would like? If the movie was true canon and had a mindblowing ending.

What I'm essentially proposing is that this movie is sort of a prequel to episode 1 of the anime.

Ash originally does meet Ho-oh-> the movie's central plot happens, villains get involved -> something happens to Ash -> Ho-oh intervenes -> Ash wakes up again on his 10th birthday and we go into events of the original episode 1. However the Rainbow Feather is never dropped and thus Ash never seeks out Ho-oh -> onward to Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, i.e. series we all know.

Ho-oh grants Ash eternal happiness by allowing him to be together forever with Pikachu.

I think it would be a cool way to "retcon" Ho-oh into the story. It would make a self-contained movie that ties into the original story.

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
Has anyone noticed that on the official serebii site, the last line of the summary of movie says "why won't you enter the monster ball....???"
I doubt its just going to be a simple retelling of the first episode.

Check out the summary link:

http://serebii.net/movies/pokemon20/

Animefan145

Interesting to see Ash pick up the Rainbow Wing. Its still too early to tell much beyond that. I hope for more than just an HD retelling of the first few episodes, but we'll see.

SlimeStack

We haven't seen a single second of the second episode so I'm not sure it'll cover anything past the first one.

I might also be over thinking but in the Spearow scenes you can't see Misty's bike anywhere. Could be off screen, but the movie could easily focus on Ash, Pikachu and Ho-oh and not necessarily Misty, especially if the Viridian City story isn't shown.

greninjamaster

We haven't seen a single second of the second episode so I'm not sure it'll cover anything past the first one.

I might also be over thinking but in the Spearow scenes you can't see Misty's bike anywhere. Could be off screen, but the movie could easily focus on Ash, Pikachu and Ho-oh and not necessarily Misty, especially if the Viridian City story isn't shown.

You couldn't see Misty's bike anywhere in that sequence either in the original. It was off frame when Ash crawled towards Pikachu and even when he confronted the Spearow. It was never brought up again nor seen until the following episode.

Also the following episode is definitely confirmed as well, especially considering the fact TR toys are out for the movie and they have their OS outfits on. And as we know TR debuted in episode 2. So that should confirm Misty as well.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Ash's childhood wasn't retcon to add Serena. They met for a few minutes at Prof Oak's summer camp and that was that. Ash doesn't even remember the girl unlike Serena who seems overly attached over a small moment that made her think of Ash as some knight in shining armor. She was basically a COTD to him, he didn't even know her name at all and was looking for a Poliwag.

I hope they include stuff like Ash bringing Pikachu to his house for the first time. I love those little moments between them before they warmed up to each other.
Oh I would love to see this! :D More Ash Pikachu bonding moments please!

Darking-Lucario

I do really hope that they will recycle some of the old soundtracks from the OS. For example Tears After Cloudy Weather, man I'll be in tears then.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen

Since retcons have to change something about the story, she doesn't really fall under them. We don't know anything about Ash's past in the first place. That said, the only way I can see her appearing is in that crowd that sends Ash off from Pallet Town. Heck, it would explain why she wasn't shocked by pikachu the first time she met him, because it had happened at the very beginning.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Since retcons have to change something about the story, she doesn't really fall under them. We don't know anything about Ash's past in the first place. That said, the only way I can see her appearing is in that crowd that sends Ash off from Pallet Town. Heck, it would explain why she wasn't shocked by pikachu the first time she met him, because it had happened at the very beginning.
We know enough about Ash's past that we have a clear idea that Serena was in no way apart of it. Serena couldn't have been there at the very beginning, they're the same age and Serena only visited Kanto for Prof Oak's summer camp in which she met Ash for a few minutes and that's it. If they were friends, she would've brought up other times where they played together or did something other than that one scene of him helping her and Ash would've remember her like he did with Molly. And why would she be surprised that he would have Pikachu? Since when were anyone surprised he had Pikachu? The only reason people are surprised at Ash having Pikachu not because Ash owned one but because Pikachu is rare in their region/it's their first time meeting a Pikachu.

Janovy

Banned
I don't consider Serena's inclusion in Ash's childhood a retcon since:

a) we know very little about that past anyway, and
b) it was a SINGLE encounter between the two them. They weren't friends, otherwise Ash would have remembered her. Serena being some huge friend of Ash's or an important part of his life - THAT would have been a retcon because surely a character as important Gary would have come up eventually.

That being said, there is no reason to include any of the Ash's childhood flashbacks in the movie, especially not Serena's.

This movie is about Ash and Pikachu and the last thing we need is a scene written to fuel Amourshippers (I'm not even joking, that scene is not about Ash, it's all about Serena being saved by a knight in a shining armor and in holds no purpose in a movie that revolves around Ash and Pikachu).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.