• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jul 15: Movie 20 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! (Dec 11: Movie 21 reveal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
It could be that, despite the writers not bringing up a lot, these references are getting free passes because they are all Gen 1 related, and Alola is pretty much a region idolizing Gen 1.

So it's not likely any other reference will get through unless the S/M game content dictates it (in other words, past characters like Cynthia showing up).

They name dropped Honeymitsu in episode 4, and that's from BW.

Kein

AKA Silktree
So I'm guessing:

Movie 20: 20th anniversary
Movie 21: Marshadow, Solgaleo and Lunala maybe?
Movie 22: Necrozma, 8th Gen legendary, maybe Mew? (They have to distribute Mew with Mewnium Z somehow, right?)
They could easily promote the Alola mascots, guardians and Ultra Beasts in the anime, which would be best for the plot. Marshadow could have its QR code be revealed online or distributed in stores at any time regardless of its anime debut.

I don't see this movie being a one-off, especially when the title is clearly just about the beginning; I think that there will be sequel movies continuing the rebooted storyline. And when you look at the dwindling movie ticket sales, it is not hard to see why the anime producers may not be in any rush to revert to the standard formula.

Red and Blue

They could easily promote the Alola mascots, guardians and Ultra Beasts in the anime, which would be best for the plot. Marshadow could have its QR code be revealed online or distributed in stores at any time regardless of its anime debut.

I don't see this movie being a one-off, especially when the title is clearly just about the beginning; I think that there will be sequel movies continuing the rebooted storyline. And when you look at the dwindling movie ticket sales, it is not hard to see why the anime producers may not be in any rush to revert to the standard formula.

My thoughts exactly. I think this was a change for the best. An retelling of Ash's first adventure could create more interest than the standard movie formula

TTNH03

Pokemon Researcher
Ooooh this looks interesting.

Looks like the original animation might be retained for this movie too! Or at least using technologies to update the original animation. I don't mind if it's from XYZ either.

Now the only question that I'm wondering is if Ash will be journeying through Kanto with Brock and Misty or would he be soloing it all by himself and his Pokemon?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
My thoughts exactly. I think this was a change for the best. An retelling of Ash's first adventure could create more interest than the standard movie formula

Plus, next year marks the anime's 20th anniversary (with this year being the franchise's) so it makes sense that they're rebelling season 1. The only thing I'm confused about though is why they retconned the design on Ash's hat & why the promotions say it's a world we've yet to see

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
So it's basically a rewrite of the first season packed into one 90 minutes movie? So something like Origins for the Ashnime?

That's actually super lazy and due to the time limitation a pretty horrible idea to do as a movie.

Janovy

Banned
So it's basically a rewrite of the first season packed into one 90 minutes movie? So something like Origins for the Ashnime?

That's actually super lazy and due to the time limitation a pretty horrible idea to do as a movie.
It's most likely a completely new story starring Ho-oh.

The story will begin the same but probably deviate at some point.

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!

Maybe the main anime will follow the game's plto and ahe Cosmog, Cosmoem, Lunaala, Necrozma, UBs, Marshadow and whatever other Pokemon appear?

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I think it's more than welcome for them to retell the original series story as a film, if that's indeed where they go with this one. It might be "genwun" pandering and all that, but honestly if it's done right it has as much potential as a SM movie, if not more. The original series was part of what helped kick off the whole franchise, helped make it such a popular and enduring brand. And maybe, if they find a way to work Ho-oh into the plot, it will fix one of the more annoying elements that was left open by the anime (I mean the last time we really saw it was what, AG?).

I think it's a cool idea and I'm all for it. A Sun and Moon movie can come a little later.

ashsfuture

To be honest I'm glad that we're getting a movie based off Ash's beginning as a trainer for the 20th movie/anniversary of the anime instead of a movie for Alola because I'm really stomped on what they could do for the movies and yes we have the

-island guardians
-ultra beasts

but a movie about the island guardians would be hard to do mainly due to the fact that each of the islands (4 in total) have their own guardian, well unless they try to put all the guardians in one movie, but in the end that be way to similar to pokemon movie 2000 and the ultra beasts come from another world and just like a few have said just have the island guardians and ultra beasts be focused on in just the anime and not be put in some random movie. Which would signify another change from the main formula.

2 Questions:

Would you want to see other pokemon movies based off Ash's other adventures ?(Jotho, Hoenn,Sinnoh,Unova, and Kalos)

or

Would you still want to see one movie focused on the Alola region?

Also considering this is the 20th anniversary of one of the biggest anime series you would want to do something big to celebrate it and something like this is a whole lot better especially for the older fans and this will a good thing for newer fans since they'll be seeing the history behind Ash's journey as a beginning trainer.

Last edited:

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Would you want to see other pokemon movies based off Ash's other adventures ?(Jotho, Hoenn,Sinnoh,Unova, and Kalos)

or

Would you still want to see one movie focused on the Alola region?

Alola based movies. It's already bad enough one movie slot got stolen from a fame hungry shitregion with to much pandering than it deserves.

Red and Blue

Alola based movies. It's already bad enough one movie slot got stolen from a fame hungry shitregion with to much pandering than it deserves.

I mean this is the 20th anniversary of the franchise. Plus it looks like Ho-oh is finally getting a central role so.....

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Is it just me, or does the poster kind of look similar to the art style from the original RGB games. I know the obvious reasons why, but I'm surprsed they tried to match this style instead of the art style from season 1

Status
Not open for further replies.