• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jul 15: Movie 20 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! (Dec 11: Movie 21 reveal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Unless these latest movie trailers aren't in the final product, I'm not surprised they didn't decide to show Lucario all because it was not a small Pokemon easy to animate.

You poor over 3 feet tall creatures... Do remember those days you used to be outside your ball on your trainer's shoulder.

Raise your hand if you are actually excited about the movie and these new characters and the potential they hold.

Because I am.

Because it worked soooooo well in the previous movies to give established support companions something very meaningful to do next to Ash.

This ain't the Manaphy movie, or the Jirachi movie.

Last edited:

pokemon fan 132

Well the truth here is one: Brock and Misty were bad characters during OS. Say what you want but outside the greasy scenes that involved were not very remarkable that say, only have the favor of nostalgia, nothing more.

Misty and Brock were bad characters? Says who?

For characters who played highly important role in Ash development as trainer and person acting like his coaches and mentors. Characters with greatly defined and complex personalities and backstory(especially Misty with all complex of inferiority, imposed by sisters, struggle in discerning what she feels for Ash, ambivalent stance regarding her desires and dream of becoming water master).

Characters who had several highly memorable and fun pokemon. Who helped move story on their own through their charisma, flexibility, wisdom and curious nature were anything but bad characters.

They may had not received stellar handle of their own dreams, but role they played they did very well. I dare to say even great.
Im baffled that so many people in here who obviously didn't grew up with later generations still don't know what were Original series about and what was their main focus whe telling the story.

It was about adventure, friendship, build on human personalities and introduction to pokemon world itself.

Beside who can say they had no development? Misty alone faced more hardships, prejudice and conflicts related to her own dreams than Serena did and she matured considerably evolving in character aspect.

Having different companions makes it more interesting and including newer gen Pokemon shows that, even though they weren't around in the anime seires of the nineties, these Pokemon still existed in their specific regions and trainers from those said reasons came to Kanto to train or to study.

Appeal to novelty! Just because its something new dies not mean its going to be automatically good.

There is no reason to believe that presence of Misty and Brock in this movie wouldn't be able to deliver new, original storyline as well. Or make different, interesting additions and changes regarding them in perhaps catching new pokemon, learning about missing pieces about their past receiving more depth. Cast new light in their long term careers and wishes acquiring new knowledge, fun quirks as result of changing and growing up. Or being pat of entirely fresh and exciting new plot and adventure.

Why there exist such false and misleading belief of new things not being possible to be done with older characters renewing them in fresh, entertaining light is beyond me.

A lot of newer fans don't even know who Misty is. Her being in this movie won't mean anything more to them than having an original character.

Just like they have no idea who this new characters are knowing nothing about them. So what difference does it make if Misty and Brock were in it

Most importantly this movie will be anything but aimed even partially for older fans since it treats pokemon roots and original characters with utter disrespect.

Because I already know all about Misty and Brock and they have nothing new to offer to me in terms of storytelling.

New characters potentially getting new companions status is very interesting IMO.

As narrow-minded as usual. Stay classy.

You do realize your doing same thing? By rejecting any possibility of Misty and Brock as characters themselves having new things, untold secrets about their past, updates and new directions through which their goals and stories could be made to offer.

Im sorry but just as it may be "narrow minded" to reject new characters due to being in movie which was supposed to celebrate 20 years of pokemon anime airing being freaking anniversary(pokemon must be only anime which for this kind of milestone ignores and spit on roots and original cast).

Its just as much narrow minded to hold such negative prejudice of Brock and especially Misty who lasted in main anime for much shorter(and we even have confirmation from Shudo blogs how she was never used to full potential despite that same potential existing resulting in half assed and rushed exit with no real closure).

To not have potential and material to deliver something new and exciting.
Something im willing to challenge and debate about because they do.

Red and Blue

It's not really that hard to understand why people are upset that Misty and Brock aren't returning. The complaints are justified

Janovy

Banned
It's not really that hard to understand why people are upset that Misty and Brock aren't returning. The complaints are justified
I understand being unhappy about that, I do not understand using negative emotions about that and channeling them towards the new characters and making them out to be these awful characters that will suck.

Spyro39

I understand being unhappy about that, I do not understand using negative emotions about that and channeling them towards the new characters and making them out to be these awful characters that will suck.

As I mentioned before, the same reasons May was initially hated when she replaced Misty for AG, Cilan being initially hated when he replaced Brock for BW. Or more recently, the SM Pokegirls garnering hate because they replaced Serena. Again, it's not fair to criticize these new characters because they replaced your fan favorites.

AmethystLeslie

Casually reminder that Brock didn't even appear in the first episode, and Misty only got a couple minutes of screentime with a couple lines.

It made more sense to me that Brock wouldn't be appearing than Misty, tbh.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Misty gave Ash tension and reprimanded him of his boneheaded decisions (like a mom) without gloating (unlike Iris did on a daily basis).

Brock was like the biggest bro you could ever have. Plus, a doctor.

They weren't bad at all.

sandtreamftw

On and Off Trainer
Meh. I had a feeling Misty and Brock would not show up, not like it matters. The OS will still always be there. From the onset, these new characters seem like very generic cutouts. And 'yippy', more Lucario.

SlimeStack

I've never been able to understand people reacting so strongly against a kid's cartoon. Like this is where the most passionate fans live but it's still a simplistic kiddy thing that just doesn't matter that much.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
interesting that there's actually a wanted poster for team rocket and nurse joy knows them, instead of just being ash's stalkers.

NPT

Just a member
Alright, now we are pretty much going in circles. Will this ongoing saltstorm EVER come to an end?

Last edited:

Xeogran

Marshadow Fan
Misty gave Ash tension and reprimanded him of his boneheaded decisions (like a mom) without gloating (unlike Iris did on a daily basis).

What? Iris was friendly too. Maybe you should focus your attention on Serena who tagged along without being much of a help at all.

I hate how people turn their posts that into critiquing a character for no damn reason.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
interesting that there's actually a wanted poster for team rocket and nurse joy knows them, instead of just being ash's stalkers.

There was a wanted poster in their first appearance, too. I wonder what role they're going to play in this movie. I'm just going to treat it as an extended Mirror World episode anyway so i can enjoy it more fully.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Just like they have no idea who this new characters are knowing nothing about them. So what difference does it make if Misty and Brock were in it

Most importantly this movie will be anything but aimed even partially for older fans since it treats pokemon roots and original characters with utter disrespect.

This movie is retelling the story of how Ash and Pikachu met and the beginning of their journey, including the two of them spotting Ho-oh. That's something for older fans, is it not?

I understand why people are disappointed that Misty and Brock aren't returning. I'm also disappointed. However, as I recall, when the trailer premiered on Oha Suta, one of the hosts mentioned this movie was going to be an original story. So, to be honest, while part of me is surprised neither Misty nor Brock is Ash's companion, a part of me is not all that surprised.

I think it's only fair to give these new characters, and this movie, a chance. Makoto may not be Misty and Soji may not be Brock, but that doesn't mean they won't be interesting characters.

diakyu

Are the people complaining about not Brock or Misty the same that ignored the signs that this wasn't a new story?

I'm surprised that some of you are actually EXCITED for these new characters. I'm personally not mad cause I kind of expected them to do this but you WANTED it? Do you not realize what this means? This movie will basically just be like the other, regular Pokemon movies in terms of its writing. A story focused on a legendary Pokemon in which Ash meets a few random humans at the beginning of the story who will sort of guide him through the plot but who no one actually cares about. The only reason this will be special is because we're already invested in this whole deal between Ash and Ho-oh. Nothing else in the movie will actually matter.
So I should have been excited for a gen 1 fest instead. Oh what a loss I've suffered today/s. This is also ignoring that this isn't like all other Pokemon movies because the Ash here isn't the same Ash. Those are this Ash's traveling companions. How is this not the more interesting outcome? I know Ash's dynamic with Brock and Misty, I have literally years of it lol.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
This movie is retelling the story of how Ash and Pikachu met and the beginning of their journey, including the two of them spotting Ho-oh. That's something for older fans, is it not?

I understand why people are disappointed that Misty and Brock aren't returning. I'm also disappointed. However, as I recall, when the trailer premiered on Oha Suta, one of the hosts mentioned this movie was going to be an original story. So, to be honest, while part of me is surprised neither Misty nor Brock is Ash's companion, a part of me is not all that surprised.

I think it's only fair to give these new characters, and this movie, a chance. Makoto may not be Misty and Soji may not be Brock, but that doesn't mean they won't be interesting characters.

Yes, yes, good point. Besides, if the badge quest is still there, they'll probably get cameos. And as I said before, Metapod vs Metapod HD Remaster looks more likely than I bet anyone actually thought.

Spyro39

Ok now this thread is pretty much going in circles. Will this ongoing saltstorm EVER come to an end?

Never, when it comes to nostalgia on their favorite childhood show, older fans will take it seriously when the creators are going to give them a chance to revisit that trip down memory lane. And now those who are reacting negatively to this new trailer think this movie is defiling their memory of the OS series.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.