• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jul 15: Movie 20 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! (Dec 11: Movie 21 reveal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
You people misunderstand. This alternate continuity is so different that Misty took another route than to fish Pokemon near Pallet Town (avoiding meeting Ash) and Brock's mom actually is alive by the time Ash reached Pewter City (avoiding Brock having to leave his deadbeat Dad to look after his many many siblings).

Not meeting them was what completely derailed this retelling. THUS I HAVE UNCOVERED THIS MYSTERY.

diakyu

and has people said numerous times "new story" isnt a very valid argument
How is it not? People argued like Brock and Misty were a confirmed thing when the early teasers left obvious hints this wasn't going to be exactly like OS. This is one of those cases were nothing was set in stone until now except that we knew things were going to be different.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
You people misunderstand. This alternate continuity is so different that Misty took another route than to fish Pokemon near Pallet Town (avoiding meeting Ash) and Brock's mom actually is alive by the time Ash reached Pewter City (avoiding Brock having to leave his deadbeat Dad to look after his many many siblings).

Not meeting them was what completely derailed this retelling. THUS I HAVE UNCOVERED THIS MYSTERY.

His mom was alive the whole time. The dub decided to upgrade her abandoning the family to death strangely enough.

Rohanator

Because I already know all about Misty and Brock and they have nothing new to offer to me in terms of storytelling.

New characters potentially getting new companions status is very interesting IMO.

Also because IT MAKES SENSE. In a legit AU, there exists a legit possibility that Ash's doesn't end up travelling with Misty and Brock.

To be more precise, I would have also liked Misty and Brock, but I have nothing against these characters like you guys do.
My main wish was for this to actually be just Ash solo, with his Mons. Because that's the main selling point of the movie. That something interesting is FINALLY being done to Ash. I dont wanna learn anything about any other character, I want them to do something unique with the main man. If they manage to accomplish that even while dividing focus for these new guys then okay sure, whatever. But if it's LITERALLY just like the usual Pokemon movies, then it's a massive missed opportunity.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
and has people said numerous times "new story" isnt a very valid argument

There was no official confirmation that Misty or Brock were going to appear in this movie. Fans speculated, but TPC never confirmed it. On the other hand, there was confirmation that this was going to be an original story, so that is a perfectly valid argument.

Mia Blaze

I'mma gonna Deku in the face, Kacchan

That's the many world's theory the Pokemon Universe uses, a world where Ash never met Misty by the lake. People don't like it and that's their opinion and they are entitled to it but at least give these characters and this movie a chance. You never know, it could be really good, or slightly bad (But in my opinion nothing would ever be worse than the Hoopa movie)

04n70n10

Many started with this "retelling the first episode (in HD)" when we have really next to 0 info. And greatly undervaluted the "strange" fact that Ash doesn't have his iconic League hat, the most notable thing in the first teaser, so i didn't buy that theory honestly, even if there aren't other good theories. Early trailers for a pokemon movie are almost all very little informative, only now things are a bit more clear.

This is a celebrative movie for all the anime, not only for OS characters, but they can't make a good movie using all the characters of this show. So afterall maybe is better an original story this time.

Still there are many things obscure (what is this alternative universe? Marshadow???? etc.), but so far it's really interesting. And I watch the anime from the early days of OS.

Last edited:
I understand being unhappy about that, I do not understand using negative emotions about that and channeling them towards the new characters and making them out to be these awful characters that will suck.

This post. I've seen it so much before in other anime series - a choice occurs that went against expectations. Despite the expectations clearly being entirely thought up by the fandom rather than the writers hinting at the expectation, the fandom will feel rather crushed and angry. Due to a human instinct to place the blame on their anger on something, the fandom will place their anger and blame on something which contributed to their expectation being disproven. I would usually think the blame would be on the writers, but quite often it will be on a fictional character involved in the situation instead.

It's just a case of opinions, really.

Rohanator

These characters also aren't real people with feelings, and I don't think I should feel like some horrible negative human being for simply wishing that they didn't exist. : P

Like, I just don't see them being interesting enough to justify being necessary additions. They might be fine. They might even be pretty good. But will they still feel worth my time, or will every instance of them being on screen just have me feeling "kk back to Ash please". Probably the latter.

Last edited:
These characters also aren't real people with feelings, and I don't think I should feel like some horrible negative human being for simply wishing that they didn't exist. : P

I think it's not hurting the characters, more pissing off the people who really like them.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Wow and just like that the hype for this movie is gone. You replace Misty, Brock, AND Gary!? And in their place you have carbon copy rip offs with Pokemon not even from the Kanto region. Good thing I didn't invest much in this movie, what a piece of trash this is gonna be.

How can you disrespect the OS this badly!? Stupidest decision they could have ever made. This was a bait and switch of the worse kind. Who the heck came up with this idea of a retelling of Kanto and replacing three iconic characters? Need to be fired ASAP.

tumblr_oo2qoxiLlw1rzqpj6o1_1280.png

tumblr_oo2qoxiLlw1rzqpj6o2_1280.png

This shot makes my blood boil, they did this crap on purpose.

Yuyama Kunihiko has been with the Satoshi shows since the very beginning. The homages and the new ideas are all coming from the original main creator of the 1997 animated series.

Spyro39

Fictional or not, if these are characters aren't horrible, yet you hate them anyways because of something that wasn't their fault, then you should feel bad.

Yuyama Kunihiko has been with the Satoshi shows since the very beginning. The homages and the new ideas are all coming from the original main creator of the 1997 animated series.

What? Really? I had no idea. Then that means the creators must have some sort of good reasons on altering Ash's retelling of beginning his journey in this 20th movie.

Last edited:

Rohanator

Fictional or not, if these are characters aren't horrible, yet you hate them anyways because of something that wasn't their fault, then you should feel bad.
Yeaaah, that definitely ain't happening, sorry to burst your bubble but that's not how people generally operate in the real world™. Whether a character is a good person or a terrible one in the show has nothing to do with actual writing quality, and that's what I base my opinions on. Also I'm not "hating" them. I'm questioning the decision of the writers to create them in the first place. I'm not gonna say "Man Soji is such a terrible guy I hope he dies", I'm gonna say, "Man Soji's such a pointless character, he's nice and all but really not necessary for this story, bad writing". (if that ends up being the case)

Last edited:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I get the feeling that even if brock and misty are shown briefly like it seems Erika might be, it still wouldn't be enough to calm the anger.

Incineroar's usage of flamethrower makes me wonder if in the anime should Litten reach that form they'll let him use it since where he's firing it from is questionable, I know you can say it's the belt but still...

Vaporias

I'm just as shocked as you guys are with the prospect of an alternate continuity that this movie presents, but look on the bright side. We're finally getting a movie where it definitely seems like Ho-oh's getting a prominent role after Arceus knows how long since its debut. We had the teaser for the Zoroark movie be Ho-oh vs Lugia, and the Lucario movie had Mew turn into Ho-oh at one point. And not only that, I think it was at least after DP that the whole "Hey, I'mma follow Ho-oh to whatever region it wants me to go to so I can get closer to meeting it!" subplot in the anime was dropped. So, even with the lack of Brock and Misty(trust me, I want to see 'em again too), at least we have Ho-oh getting a major role here.

DotKU

Champion
Gen 7 started out as odd and it keeps going... I guess I'm interested in how they take this movie forward.

I wonder if those Switch rumors for a Pokemon Stars title will see a promotion in this movie.. because otherwise I don't know why we got Marshadow so soon.

diakyu

I'm curious if Soji and Mokoto are also "Heroes of the Rainbow" and that's why they're traveling with Ash to see Ho-oh.

Rohanator

I'm just as shocked as you guys are with the prospect of an alternate continuity that this movie presents, but look on the bright side. We're finally getting a movie where it definitely seems like Ho-oh's getting a prominent role after Arceus knows how long since its debut. We had the teaser for the Zoroark movie be Ho-oh vs Lugia, and the Lucario movie had Mew turn into Ho-oh at one point. And not only that, I think it was at least after DP that the whole "Hey, I'mma follow Ho-oh to whatever region it wants me to go to so I can get closer to meeting it!" subplot in the anime was dropped. So, even with the lack of Brock and Misty(trust me, I want to see 'em again too), at least we have Ho-oh getting a major role here.
Yeah, the Ho-oh thing is still worth being excited for. That's why this movie needs to be as Ash focused as possible. This is possibly the only pay off to the Ho-oh subplot we will ever get. If these new characters take too much away from it, I just can't imagine any scenario where that'll feel like it was worth it.

People say that this isn't REALLY a nostalgia movie so its okay to add all this new stuff. But the actual basis and draw of the story IS entirely nostalgia based.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.