• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jul 15: Movie 20 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! (Dec 11: Movie 21 reveal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they included Misty, Brock, and Gary, it would be"genwunner pandering," which I thought the Pokemon community was tired of seeing. If they don't include them, then it's disrespectimg the history of the franchise. Damned if they do and damned if they don't, these writers are. This fanbase is never happy with anything. :/

Nobody promised Misty, Brock, and Gary would be in this movie. Nobody said it would be a reboot. The fans set their own expectations and are disappointed because they're not getting what they want. That's all there is to it. That's all there ever is to it. Seriously, I'm kind of happy tjey're doing this. A straight retelling of Ash's journey through a region where he didn't even earn half of his Gym badges would not have been exciting to watch IMO and really would be genwunner pandering. Sure, you could argue they could change it so Ash actually does battle Erika and Sabrina and the other Gym Leaders... but then, it would basically be Pokemon Origins with with Ash instead of Red as the main protagonist. That would add absolutely nothing to the franchise.

Want to scratch that nostalgia itch? OS is on Netflix. Go watch that. Go watch Pokemon Origins. There are options.

You've nailed what I've been trying to say is whole time. I've always wanted to see something like this - an Ash that might not actually be as much of a genetic character as the anime, two OC companions that look like they could be really enjoyable, a quest that isn't nearly as vague as "becoming a Pokemon master" and newer Pokemon appearing in the older regions. For all the people who wanted to see Brock and Misty, there is still OS, and for those who wanted to see Ash go mostly solo and take on every Gym properly, Origins is pretty close to that.

This movie feels like it has a narrative that can run completely on its own - Ash will be re-introduced during the movie, all the new characters will be introduced during the movie, the goal will begin and end during the movie and all the arcs will be finished during the movie. The narrative doesn't have any breaks for fillers or near-fillers. I'll be able to watch this movie as a movie rather than a spin-off of the main anime series, and I'll be able to understand everything that happens without having to watch hours worth of episodes.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't have to treat this as a Pokemon Anime movie anymore - I can treat it as a movie in its own right. And that's what I look for in a good movie.

Animefan145

Huh, kind of... odd/different mix of characters. Not to mention very wide variety of Pokemon from various generations, though I didn't ever expect to see a Piplup in a kind of starring role again, too bad not Dawn, but their choice of Piplup just still surprised me. So seventh gen Pokemon are included, between Ho-oh and Marshadow I'm curious how much they'll cover in just one movie. Most movies usually involve several legendaries (or pseudo-legendaries) but Ho-oh holds a special place in the anime and has never had a movie before.

Too bad no Brock or Misty (though of course Team Rocket is still there) but it'll be interesting to see how the new characters turn out.

Rapiido

Can we go ONE season without Lucario shoved down our throats in one way or another? Please? Writers? Stop. There's over 800 Pokemon now. Pick something else.

Spyro39

Huh, kind of... odd/different mix of characters. Not to mention very wide variety of Pokemon from various generations, though I didn't ever expect to see a Piplup in a kind of starring role again, too bad not Dawn, but their choice of Piplup just still surprised me. So seventh gen Pokemon are included, between Ho-oh and Marshadow I'm curious how much they'll cover in just one movie. Most movies usually involve several legendaries (or pseudo-legendaries) but Ho-oh holds a special place in the anime and has never had a movie before.

Too bad no Brock or Misty (though of course Team Rocket is still there) but it'll be interesting to see how the new characters turn out.

As many have mentioned, the inclusion of Piplup, as well as Lucario, hint towards gen 4 remakes. And these new characters. Well, my brain tells me they are either going to be in the gen 4 remakes in some way, or maybe gen 8. The second biggest shock to me was that Marshadow was going to be in this movie. I did not expect Marshadow to make its debut until 2018.

Regardless, I'm excited to see Marshadow in this movie alongside these new characters.

Can we go ONE season without Lucario shoved down our throats in one way or another? Please? Writers? Stop. There's over 800 Pokemon now. Pick something else.

I honestly don't mind too much. They're not teasing a capture, and for once it's Ash's companion with it rather than a random character who only appears for max. 5 episodes.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.

It's less so about the writers and more so because the games promote the line anyway. The writers in particular DO like to shove it down our throats (and if it means crushing Ash, all the more reason).

Seriously. After Gen 4, it's pretty easy to tell the line was constantly given a spotlight.

Gen 5's sequels had it get special Sugimori art and the fact it was the central Pokemon in Pokestar Studios (against freaking Zoroark, who was supposed to be the face of Gen 5). Amusingly, the writers took a...very infuriating decision instead.

Gen 6...well, first Mega Evolution of that story line (and central focus to its own mini-arc) until Gen 3 remakes revoked that completely and destroyed every other story line.

Gen 7 was absolutely quiet about it since it was not available to catch in the main portion...until near the endgame, when a certain character brings it out from the blue and turns out to be the only one of their team carrying a Z-crystal next to their ace. By the way, I totally expect the anime to do something huge to the same character instead of their ace.

So we'll never escape the throat shoving when it comes to the writers.

Last edited:

Dijeirusan

I reckon we'll see Misty because he steals her bike, but no Brock, as the film is clearly set during Episodes 1 and 2 of the anime.

I reckon we'll see Misty because he steals her bike, but no Brock, as the film is clearly set during Episodes 1 and 2 of the anime.

It's more set during episode 1.... and just episode 1, before the plot deviates.

Illusio

No words, only rage
It's less so about the writers and more so because the games promote the line anyway. The writers in particular DO like to shove it down our throats (and if it means crushing Ash, all the more reason).

Seriously. After Gen 4, it's pretty easy to tell the line was constantly given a spotlight.

Gen 5's sequels had it get special Sugimori art and the fact it was the central Pokemon in Pokestar Studios (against freaking Zoroark, who was supposed to be the face of Gen 5). Amusingly, the writers took a...very infuriating decision instead.

Gen 6...well, first Mega Evolution of that story line (and central focus to its own mini-arc) until Gen 3 remakes revoked that completely and destroyed every other story line.

Gen 7 was absolutely quiet about it since it was not available to catch in the main portion...until near the endgame, when a certain character brings it out from the blue and turns out to be the only one of their team carrying a Z-crystal next to their ace. By the way, I totally expect the anime to do something huge to the same character instead of their ace.

So we'll never escape the throat shoving when it comes to the writers.

Lucario is in the same position as Charizard, both are hugely popular, so of course TCPI loves to market the hell out of them. It's for that reason why I'm sure we're getting Charizard in the movie somehow, most likely under Ash.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Geez, I go to sleep as I'm feeling ill, come back after 8 hours, still feeling ill and people are fuming that their childhood waifu and husbando aren't in the trailer?

Wooow, they weren't promised at all and these new characters have so much potential...are people really that upset that Misty and Brock aren't making an appearance?

Think I'm going to go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint and wait for all this to blow over.

pokemon fan 132

As much as disappointing how this movie decided to botch and eradicate pokemon roots was . Its just as much sad that many people in here are apparently perfectly fine, no actually happy and overjoyed that we got generic new characters instead of well established and known major figures from Original series.

Still its just vocal minority.

Regardless all this praise for new characters is ungrounded. Im sick and tired of hearing every single time how "new is instantly better". How that "guarantees freshness and enjoyment".

We get new characters in pokemon all the time. For last 20 years pokemon anime became notoriously known for replacing snd ditching main characters incredibly frequently treating them like expendable junk never to be seen or heard from again. With rollercoaster of adding one after another, while every older one ends up abandoned and forgotten spinning around over and over again.
Amounting to nothing in grand scheme of things with all traveling companions of Ash being pointless basically since they're so quickly erased and omitted from pokemon universe.

It would be nice for a change to once. Just ONCE do something different and bring back at least sometime those from past doing follow ups and sequels of characters we grew up with and love.
To receive their 10 minutes of spotlight under the sun in new updated design, hear what is happening with them and be remembered. Their contribution to pokemon story be actually recognized and see new things made with them. Sending message how pokemon history is still same one we grew up with and how continuity exist in pokemon show.

It does not matter that this is alternate universe, reboot. Fact is that this movie is made to commemorate 20th anniversary of entire pokemon series.

Yet you make movie dedicated to remembering and acknowledging past but exclude every single major characters which used to matter and exist in pokemon anime replacing it with new characters.

There was no sensible and justified reason to do this, when even in alternate universe Misty and Brock could've been included seeing writers take different approach on direction in which their journey with Ash would go.

Likewise why even go for idea of making complete reboot and alternate retelling of pokemon show universe and Ash starting days as trainer?

OS already introduced Ho-oh establishing its connection with Ash. Writers and directors could had just present this movie with original series characters as lost link. Untold story about Ho-oh and side adventure in which Ash, Misty and Brock participated during their days of traveling through and exploring Kanto.

Or make movie ala style of "Yugioh Dark Side of Dimensions!" , "Digimon Tri Adventure! making reunion of characters who represent anime roots and were ones who with central driving force of series Ash built foundations on which pokemon show later thrived and succeeded. Being Misty and Brock.

Constructing sequel, brand new adventure with loved, iconic and extremely popular characters.

Instead fans got delivered absolutely nothing for 20thg anniversary. But major disappointment and blatant disrespect, condemn and middle finger pointed to their loyalty. Ash character himself messing up whole universe and last 20 years of his achievements and development by making alternate version of him(clone).

Alongside pokemon series past and continuity being all but destroyed. Nice job.

One more thing: To all of those who say: you have OS to watch and see original characters again. People wanted to see new things being done with Misty, Brock and Ash. They wanted to see follow ups, new fresh material , chance to see them maker return in anime at least for one more time.

And to think that not even for such big occasion like 20th anniversary, older characters would be seen and have place in pokemon is rightfully disappointing. Therefore people have every right to be upset.
Imagine what would fan s do if for Yugioh, Digimon or Dragon Ball anniversaries they had movies or specials where Kaiba, Joey, Tea or Gohan, Vegeta, Belma etc, in Digimon case were Tai , Sora, Mimi, Joe etc omitted and replaced with irrelevant and generic new characters taking their place?

Or Star Trek doing special but leaving out Spock, captain Kirk etc? Replacing them with expies of themselves.

Fanbase of this anime or series would go ballistic being rightfully mad.
Actually anger and complaints for pokemon doing this from those who are disappointed that Misty and Brock are erased from pokemon universe and continuity altogether are relatively mild compared to what fans of above mentioned shows would be capable of doing.,

So its surprising how quite a few people in here cannot comprehend what is issue in making movie dedicated toward celebrating pokemon anniversary, yet replace everything which used to stand for and define pokemon showe for past 20 years with alternate universe and alternate characters.

Its disrespecting, unneeded and disappointing no matter how much you try to rationalize it.

Quite frankly i wouldn't be surprised if this movie bombs altogether resulting in major flop. Part of me wouldn't even mind this because such amount of lack of care, ignorance and arrogance from someone in charge of franchise having toward continuity and past coming from their very own creation is staggering. And unprecedented when comparing pokmemon anime with other shows out there where words continuity and history actually mean something.

Wooow, they weren't promised at all and these new characters have so much potential...are people really that upset that Misty and Brock aren't making an appearance?

It may not seem that way nowadays, but Misty and Brock are actually extremely popular and loved characters from pokemon series. Ever since their disband people hoped to see them reunited with Ash for at least one last time.

Actually its quite surprising that founders of pokemon anime don't receive any recognition from younger fans at all.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Raise your hand if you are actually excited about the movie and these new characters and the potential they hold.

Because I am.
*Raises hand* I am! The new characters look interesting, can't wait to learn more about them. The only thing I don't like is Lucario being in this movie, like couldn't they just give this guy something else like a Chimchar or something? Lol

Agreed, this so much lol

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Forgive me for getting flashbacks over the Newtwo incident we had a few years back. I'm going to do the same thing I did then and simply eat popcorn at the flame war.

As much as disappointing how this movie decided to botch and eradicate pokemon roots was . Its just as much sad that many people in here are apparently perfectly fine, no actually happy and overjoyed that we got generic new characters instead of well established and known major figures from Original series.

You act as if these new characters were a generic based on a trailer and act as if the OS was a sacred cow.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Forgive me for getting flashbacks over the Newtwo incident we had a few years back. I'm going to do the same thing I did then and simply eat popcorn at the flame war.

I actually liked Newtwo :/

Anyways I really hope that DP remakes are in the works now because of Piplup...And Lucario in the movie.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
As much its disappointing how this movie decided to botch and eradicate pokemon roots was. Its just as much sad that many people in here are apparently perfectly fine, no actually happy and overjoyed that we got generic new characters instead of well established and known major figures from Original series.

Vocal minority is vocal.

All this praise for new characters is ungrounded. Im sick and tired of hearing every single time how "new is instantly better". How that "guarantees freshness and enjoyment".

What is wrong with people looking forward to these new characters? I'm also disappointed that Misty and Brock aren't going to be in this movie (at least not as Ash's companions), but I'm not going to let my disappointment turn into hate for these new characters or for the movie as a whole. And who is to say Makoto and Soji are going to be generic characters? They could turn out to be fun, interesting characters with a lot of depth (as much depth as can be explored in a single movie, anyway). IMHO, it's way too soon to judge these characters.

Is there anyone else here besides me who is disappointed about Misty and Brock's absence yet is still looking forward to this movie? I feel like I'm the only one. :(

Janovy

Banned
What I really like about this movie is that there are no standard villains bent on ruling the world.

The main conflict seems to stem from an ordinary trainer, and there also seems to be a secret regarding Makoto judging by her character description.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
What I really like about this movie is that there are no standard villains bent on ruling the world.

The main conflict seems to stem from an ordinary trainer, and there also seems to be a secret regarding Makoto judging by her character description.

Too bad they had to include Team Rocket in this but they are extremely popular so I understand why they're in it lol

Hm I wonder what her secret is.

I feel like I've contributed enough to the flame wars, so I'll just leave a summary of my opinions after thinking about this all day. Categorised, because it looks neat.

Ash - I honestly think it's the first time I'll enjoy Ash's character in any way, shape or form. He has a much clearer goal, and it doesn't look like he's gonna be the "chosen one" in this either - he's just a budding young trainer on an adventure with his friends.

Soji and Makoto - their summaries are already telling me that they'll be great companions to Ash and will get lots of development. A serious, intelligent boy like Soji will usually learn that there's more to choices than what's most logical, and Makoto's summary is already shown to be hiding information that will probably stem into development later on. Their designs are also brilliant! Excuse me, I might just be off to ship this. I love these two.

Cross - well he already looks b*d*ss from what we've seen of him in the trailer, and the fact that he has an Incineroar makes him even better. I'll probably grow to like him, and he'll probably also get development - learning that strength isn't the key to everything. It's a little cliche, but I'll be happy if it's executed right. Also I swear I recognise his voice actor but I can't pin down who it is.

Other thoughts -
- The AU concept is great imo. It's the perfect way to celebrate the whole anime without any particular group of fans getting annoyed in the process (sans the ones who had placed all their hopes in Brock, Misty and Gary returning), and it allows for completely new plot points and old plot points being picked up again!
- The TRio will probably only appear a few times and not be super-relevant to plot, but that's fine. I feel like their place in the movie shouldn't be too major considering what this movie is about.
- The guy with Red's hat is suspicious, not because of potential antagonism, but because of Red's hat. Combined with him having a summary despite appearing to be a mostly minor character, I'm getting interested...
- I can't get over the graphics. The aesthetics, the camera angles, it's all just amazing!
- Marshadow showing up was unexpected, but I still really like it!

So there we go! Now to sit back and watch the flames grow larger :)

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
What is wrong with people looking forward to these new characters? I'm also disappointed that Misty and Brock aren't going to be in this movie (at least not as Ash's companions), but I'm not going to let my disappointment turn into hate for these new characters or for the movie as a whole. And who is to say Makoto and Soji are going to be generic characters? They could turn out to be fun, interesting characters with a lot of depth (as much depth as can be explored in a single movie, anyway). IMHO, it's way too soon to judge these characters.

Is there anyone else here besides me who is disappointed about Misty and Brock's absence yet is still looking forward to this movie? I feel like I'm the only one. :(

I'm with you there, buddy. Disappointed that Misty and Brock won't make it as Ash's companions, but still feeling optimistic about the whole thing and actually looking forward to it. If those hatin' on the new characters want to see Misty and Brock so bad, then they can go watch all the OS for all I care.

Ominous Wind

Man, I have been watching the anime since day 1 and I never understood this fixation for Misty and Brock. That just ain't right.

Status
Not open for further replies.