• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jul 15: Movie 20 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! (Dec 11: Movie 21 reveal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

diakyu

A terrible decision in a supposed 20th year celebration.
An anniversary is a celebration of all the years, not just the first you know.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Maybe AU Gary isn't much of a douche and instead aspires to become a researcher?

I do wonder if Gary will appear at all and if so, in what capacity?

Oh, I believe he'll still be a prick, just in a different way. I see him more as the insufferable genius type of character here rather than the jock type in the series.

bossmanham

An anniversary is a celebration of all the years, not just the first you know.

But it ought to include the start, lol. That's what anniversaries are. A literal celebration of when it started.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
This is a blatant slap in the face to longtime fans. TPC is literally losing money with this.

For you gen sixers celebrating this, just imagine a Kalos retelling with some rando OC's replacing Bonnie, Clemont, and Serena. Thanks but no thanks, Pokemon. I was apathetic before this movie, then excited when it was going to be a retelling, now I'm past apathy and at anger.

You can't justify this. A terrible decision in a supposed 20th year celebration.

Good god, take off your nostalgia goggles and be open to change for once.

Anniversaries celebrate all the years, not just a select few.

bossmanham

How are Dragon Ball, Yu-Gi-Oh, Naruto, etc able to figure this anniversary nostalgia stuff out, but the pokemon execs seem to be working with a sub 60 IQ on the matter?

zdbz_sn

I agree 100%. I mean, like I once said already, I'm personally disappointed in the possiblity of no Gary in this movie, but I'm open-minded, and always willing to give different characters or a different direction a chance. Like you say, these characters could turn out to be fun and interesting. There are also some things that I'm looking forward to in this movie, so I'm focused on that for the time being.

You're not the only one. I'll be looking forward to movie, regardless.
I'm not making assumptions on the new faces 'til I see them, but to throw this out there - Pokemon comes up with new characters all the time, and the movies always have new faces. Bringing back old travelling companions, from any gen, for a movie and doing something new with them, or having Ash go on a solo journey, would be more of a departure from the norm for this series.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Good god, take of your nostalgia goggles and be open to change for once.

I don't think that's gonna happen for some of these people given their choice of profile pictures.

bossmanham

Good god, take off your nostalgia goggles and be open to change for once.

Anniversaries celebrate all the years, not just a select few.

Take off your disregard for nostalgia for a moment.

If they hadn't appealed to nostalgia in the first place then no one would have an issue. But they teased us all with this first episode retelling bs from day one with this movie only to take and crap on the characters that made that magical.

I hope that never happens to you gen 6ers.

I'm not making assumptions on the new faces 'til I see them, but to throw this out there - Pokemon comes up with new characters all the time, and the movies always have new faces. Bringing back old travelling companions, from any gen, for a movie and doing something new with them, or having Ash go on a solo journey, would be more of a departure from the norm for this series.

Except they're literally retelling the beginning of the journey, lol.

Whatever you kids think about how cool these characters are, I can tell you as a 20 year pokemon fan this is a turn off.

Last edited by a moderator:

diakyu

But it ought to include the start, lol. That's what anniversaries are. A literal celebration of when it started.
And this one does? At the core of the story and what's heavily featured in episode one (without Brock and barely any Misty btw) there's Ash and Pikachu's relationship and that's being shown here?

Whatever you kids think about how cool these characters are, I can tell you as a 20 year pokemon fan this is a turn off.
I guess the one year difference between us kills it for me lol

Janovy

Banned

If they hadn't appealed to nostalgia in the first place then no one would have an issue. But they teased us all with this first episode retelling bs from day one with this movie only to take and crap on the characters that made that magical.
They never promised us a complete retelling of the first episode lol.

And there were hints all along that the story would diverge from the events of episode 1.

bossmanham

And this one does? At the core of the story and what's heavily featured in episode one (without Brock and barely any Misty btw) there's Ash and Pikachu's relationship and that's being shown here?

No, it literally craps on a key element of the beginning and introduces something completely foreign that no one who would be nostalgic at all would care about.

U.N. Owen

Could we please get back to discussing characters and story rather than attacking and debating over whether the character changes were a good idea? It's gotten old.

TheWanderingMist

If they hadn't appealed to nostalgia in the first place then no one would have an issue. But they teased us all with this first episode retelling bs from day one with this movie only to take and c*** on the characters that made that magical.

I hope that never happens to you gen 6ers.

No, I won't do that. The nostalgia was barely appealed to. People assumed that based solely on the trailer, which they knew they shouldn't do given every single other Pokemon trailer since the first movie. Oha Suta said an original story featuring Ho-oH but for some reason that didn't tip enough people off and now they're complaining about it loudly. I've been watching the anime since nearly when it started, so you can't pointlessly ad hominem me as a Gen 6er.

bossmanham

They never promised us a complete retelling of the first episode lol.

And there were hints all along that the story would diverge from the events of episode 1.

No one said they promised anything. Quit acting like anyone said they promised anything.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Honestly Dawn would have made more sense to use than Misty due to a Piplup being in the movie, however I don't think Dawn should be in it either and I believe bringing in new companions was probably the best option over bringing back a past character.

Janovy

Banned
Could we please get back to discussing characters and story rather than attacking and debating over whether the character changes were a good idea? It's gotten old.
Sure.

What is Makoto's secret? The description says something along the lines 'She appears to love adventures, but...' hinting at a secret. I don't see her as a villain, so something related to Ho-oh?

TheWanderingMist

Sure.

What is Makoto's secret? The description says something along the lines 'She appears to love adventures, but...' hinting at a secret. I don't see her as a villain, so something related to Ho-oh?

Ho-oH is her father, obviously. Maybe her love of adventures is because she doesn't want to return home?

U.N. Owen

Honestly Dawn would have made more sense to use than Misty due to a Piplup being in the movie, however I don't think Dawn should be in it either and I believe bringing in new companions was probably the best option over bringing back a past character.

They could go the route of making composite characters, seeing how they're celebrating 20 years of pokemon. I see them cherry-picking traits from all girls, rivals, and third wheels and merging them into a new characters.

bossmanham

No, I won't do that. The nostalgia was barely appealed to. People assumed that based solely on the trailer, which they knew they shouldn't do given every single other Pokemon trailer since the first movie. Oha Suta said an original story featuring Ho-oH but for some reason that didn't tip enough people off and now they're complaining about it loudly. I've been watching the anime since nearly when it started, so you can't pointlessly ad hominem me as a Gen 6er.

It's not original when it includes key plot points from the original.

They can do what they want. They, and you, can disrespect longtime fans all you want. And we can point out that's the reason they won't get our money.

That's a free market.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Sure.

Yes please, maybe have her actually meet Ho-oh in the past or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.