• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jul 15: Movie 20 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! (Dec 11: Movie 21 reveal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Ash meets two trainers with Sinnoh pokemon?

Not that low actually. It actually makes things more realistic having Pokemon from other regions appear.

This bait and switch was wrong and disrespecting of the OS.

You keep on calling this a bait and switch, but how is it? They made it very clear from the very beginning that this movie took place in an alternate universe, and therefor they could change whatever they wanted to change. There was never any bait, and there was never any switch.

And by the way, do you think Hoenn was disrespectful when they replaced Misty with May? Or Unova was when they replaced Brock with Clemont? All we're doing is having new characters instead of old, just like those series did. I personally liked the original characters better too, but just because you like something better, doesn't mean it's disrespectful to replace them. It's just a design choice.

greninjamaster

You keep on calling this a bait and switch, but how is it? They made it very clear from the very beginning that this movie took place in an alternate universe, and therefor they could change whatever they wanted to change. There was never any bait, and there was never any switch.

And by the way, do you think Hoenn was disrespectful when they replaced Misty with May? Or Unova was when they replaced Brock with Clemont? All we're doing is having new characters instead of old, just like those series did. I personally liked the original characters better too, but just because you like something better, doesn't mean it's disrespectful to replace them. It's just a design choice.

This person on Tumblr summarized it best...

People keep saying that the Pokeani writers made no promises with this movie, so people don’t have the right to be angry. But like… The first trailer and all of the promotional art were very clearly catering to fans of the original series. Yeah, there were some slight differences, but everything was there to suggest that this was going to be a true tip of the hat to where the series began.
Everything was in place to get fans hyped at the possibility of seeing characters they love and haven’t seen in a decade. They did that on purpose to attract attention, knowing fans might suspect that we would see characters like Misty and Brock again. The writers aren’t stupid. So it’s a huge slap in the face to the fans who did get excited to know that they were just being teased this whole time.
Yes, it’s the way marketing works. And yeah, the Pokeani writers are notorious for doing stuff like this. But it doesn’t mean people don’t have the right to be angry or annoyed by it.

This is the pure definition of a bait and switch period.

http://toasty-coconut.tumblr.com/post/159356484750/people-keep-saying-that-the-pokeani-writers-made

It's just a design choice.

That is a load of BS. It was because these characters are connected to the Sinnoh remake because as always the stupid company cares about marketing and selling the games then actually caring about the anime. Which is ironic since it's the animes 20th anniversary and yet...they're just using it to promote the games.

Last edited:
Putting this thread back on track because apparently it really needs it.

So, does anyone have any speculations for why Cross is going against Ash? It's possible that he's simply being a rival, but from how the summary of the movie implies he's gonna show up, it looks like there's something more to it. Any speculations?

Frozocrone

Miraculous!

So, does anyone have any speculations for why Cross is going against Ash? It's possible that he's simply being a rival, but from how the summary of the movie implies he's gonna show up, it looks like there's something more to it. Any speculations?

Because Ash is all friendship and Cross is cool af - I also like the tribute to Incineroar and how it seems to actually be attacking Ash.

Harderstyle07

Battle Brain
Anyway, I want to know why Souiji want to be a Pokemon researcher? Could be inspiration from Professor oak or someone else?
and Ash might learn a lot things earlier thanks to him.

Because Ash is all friendship and Cross is cool af - I also like the tribute to Incineroar and how it seems to actually be attacking Ash.

It seems really interesting that in this movie, Incinceroar appears to be a villain, yet in the anime Ash has literally just caught Litten. Is this implying that Cross will get some development to turn him into a good character, rather than simply being shoehorned into siding with Ash which is sometimes enough for the writers?

greninjamaster

Anyway, I want to know why Souiji want to be a Pokemon researcher? Could be inspiration from Professor oak or someone else?
and Ash might learn a lot things earlier thanks to him.

Whose Professor Oak? He may not even be in this, his grandson certainly isn't. Heck Ash could even have a new mom in this movie. Really make it edgy and make it really clear it's an AU.

I mean neither Oak nor Delia were seen in the cast so...they may not appear or even exist in AU world.

Is this implying that Cross will get some development to turn him into a good character, rather than simply being shoehorned into siding with Ash which is sometimes enough for the writers?

HA HA 90 minutes dude. Not enough time for character development plus the Ho-oh quest.

Last edited:

VoltTacklingPika

My early guess - and I suppose fear - is that's he going to be similar to Paul. He may have a family member who believes in bonding with Pokemon but was never successful, so he ended up believing bonds were unnecessary. Ash and Pikachu will likely remind him of that.

My hope is that he used to believe in bonds but due to a number of set-backs, maybe even something traumatic, he lost that belief and started focusing more on strength. Or maybe he has something he wants to protect and needs power quickly.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
It seems really interesting that in this movie, Incinceroar appears to be a villain, yet in the anime Ash has literally just caught Litten. Is this implying that Cross will get some development to turn him into a good character, rather than simply being shoehorned into siding with Ash which is sometimes enough for the writers?

I wonder if unlike the Paul storyline, Cross loses to Ash early on and changes his ways throughout the movie and not right at the end. Maybe he's got an happiness evolution to show this.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
This person on Tumblr summarized it best...

This is the pure definition of a bait and switch period.

http://toasty-coconut.tumblr.com/post/159356484750/people-keep-saying-that-the-pokeani-writers-made

Yes, they made it look like the first episode, because the story is still heavily based off of the first episode. No switch was made. You're still getting exactly what they showed you. Maybe it's not in the form you want, but it's still there. Besides, the moment they showed that Ash had a new hat, all bets were off that this story would be the same as the original.

That is a load of BS. It was because these characters are connected to the Sinnoh remake because as always the stupid company cares about marketing and selling the games then actually caring about the anime. Which is ironic since it's the animes 20th anniversary and yet...they're just using it to promote the games.

You're speaking as if Sinnoh remakes are ensured. They most certainly are not. And even if they were, I doubt the characters exist purely because of them. Maybe they were given a Piplup and Lucario for the remakes, but the characters themselves would likely exist without the remakes, they'd just have different Pokemon. It's extremely unlikely that they made these new trainers purely because they wanted people with Sinnoh Pokemon.

And I would also like to point out that despite the omissions of certain characters, this is still a re-imagining of the first episode, focusing on the bond between Ash and Pikachu while also having a story based around Ho-Oh, one of the most important Pokemon to the anime. They may not have everything you want, but that doesn't mean it has nothing at all.

greninjamaster

You all are putting a lot of faith in a 90 minute movie having the time to develop three new characters when the show takes sometimes seasons to even minutely develop their characters. I hope you are not let down.

You're speaking as if Sinnoh remakes are ensured. They most certainly are not. And even if they were, I doubt the characters exist purely because of them. Maybe they were given a Piplup and Lucario for the remakes, but the characters themselves would likely exist without the remakes, they'd just have different Pokemon. It's extremely unlikely that they made these new trainers purely because they wanted people with Sinnoh Pokemon.

Hmm two new companions shown in a trailer and all they have is Sinnoh Pokemon. Plus the track record with this company, I mean, it's very easy to connect the dots. It's pretty clear the remakes are happening and these characters are gonna be the male/female player.

You seriously underestimate this company when it comes to promoting the games. Just look at the anime.

That's like saying it's extremely unlikely they planned to drop this trailer the same day Marshadow was revealed. Sometimes it's time to just call it like it is man.

Last edited:

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Could we please get back to discussing characters and story rather than attacking and debating over whether the character changes were a good idea? It's gotten old.

Well same thing happened in October/November 2016 when it came to SM Ash and XY Ash.Similar fighting/debates.

Janovy

Banned
So according to the description, Marshadow appears in Ash's shadow as a response to the Rainbow Wing.

I wonder what the Wing has to do with it and what connection does Marshadow have to Ho-oh?

I wonder if unlike the Paul storyline, Cross loses to Ash early on and changes his ways throughout the movie and not right at the end. Maybe he's got an happiness evolution to show this.

That'd be great. It would allow him plenty of time to get his backstory developed.

Just saying, if the arguing gets to too much I might just report the thread for going off topic. Nobody wants the arguments, so why are you bothering?

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
So according to the description, Marshadow appears in Ash's shadow as a response to the Rainbow Wing.

I wonder what the Wing has to do with it and what connection does Marshadow have to Ho-oh?

I'm curious how Marshadow fits in.

Also whether Ash uses a Z-move because Hatachu is being promoted and Incineroar is confirmed.

VoltTacklingPika

My random speculation:

Ho-Oh is said to grant eternal happiness to anyone who meets it. Marshadow, in it's SM Pokedex entry, is said to be "craven and cowering". It's possible that it's hiding in Ash's shadow so Ash can lead it all the way to Ho-Oh, where it can obtain eternal happiness or some sort of blessing that would make it less cowardly, without doing any of the actual work.

Marshadow's a fighting type. Maybe it wants to fight for justice and to help Pokemon but can't because of its cowardly nature. Perhaps it's ghost typing, implying sneakiness, is constantly at odds with its fighting type characteristics.

My random speculation:

Ho-Oh is said to grant eternal happiness to anyone who meets it. Marshadow, in it's SM Pokedex entry, is said to be "craven and cowering". It's possible that it's hiding in Ash's shadow so Ash can lead it all the way to Ho-Oh, where it can obtain eternal happiness or some sort of blessing that would make it less cowardly, without doing any of the actual work.

Marshadow's a fighting type. Maybe it wants to fight for justice and to help Pokemon but can't because of its cowardly nature.

I really like this idea. It'd be something original that Pokemon hasn't done before, and it'd give off a Wizard of Oz vibe. And that franchise is pretty good.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
You all are putting a lot of faith in a 90 minute movie having the time to develop three new characters when the show takes sometimes seasons to even minutely develop their characters. I hope you are not let down.

Plenty of movies manage to develop characters just fine in 90 minutes.

Hmm two new companions shown in a trailer and all they have is Sinnoh Pokemon. Plus the track record with this company, I mean, it's very easy to connect the dots. It's pretty clear the remakes are happening and these characters are gonna be the male/female player.

Like I said, I'll concede that the Pokemon themselves were likely given to the characters as promotion. The characters themselves are not though. They most certainly are not the playable characters. Do they look anything like Lucas and Dawn to you?

That's like saying it's extremely unlikely they planned to drop this trailer the same day Marshadow was revealed. Sometimes it's time to just call it like it is man.

Or rather they officially announced Marshadow so that people wouldn't be watching the trailer and having no idea what the new Pokemon is. Of course they announced Marshadow the day of its first appearance in the trailer, why would they do any differently?

EDIT: Nerdy McNerdface is right. This is pointless. I'm out of this argument.

I'm curious about that too. Ho-oh and Marshadow are opposites - rainbows are bright light that's had been split up by something like a prism or a raindrop, while shadows are the literal absence of light. How do the two opposites attract? This is really hyping me up.

Status
Not open for further replies.