• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jul 15: Movie 20 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! (Dec 11: Movie 21 reveal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even know what to say. This is absolutely perfect.

Sun and Moon for the 20th Anniversary of the games were absolutely smashing, but this? Not only does it give rise to a potential shift in the formula - perhaps we're getting Ash's story retold so that next year we can jump into a new anime series which takes place 20 years later than his Kanto journey, for example with Ash's Metapod still having a stand off with Samurai's, and it certainly gives credence to the Ash Pikachu collection of hats being distributed next year - it brings back perhaps even more nostalgia than SM or GO could this year. I mean, I know plenty of people who have played Pokemon, but the number of people I've met who have seen the original series far outweighs that.

Let the hype begin :D

Ashton Ketchum

I more sure - if it's not some kind "Lost Chapter", it's Alternative Universe. Like movie "Kamen Rider: The First" based on first season. And if in this movie appear counterpart of Blue/Green/Leaf, maybe in this place be - Serena?! :)
And - this tricky way for long running of Gen 7.

A good few people: That's Kanto stuff? Man, the nostalgia!
Me: Dafuq is this?

Honestly, I won't be able to connect with this movie if it is Kanto only. I don't like all the Kanto-centred special things for the games and anime, as I am a more recent fan and so connect more with regions like Unova, Hoenn and Alola and therefore don't get the experience that others get at all.

I think I felt exactly the same with origins. Especially as they haven't done an origins series for the other Generations so far.

WaterTypeWarrior

Honestly, I won't be able to connect with this movie if it is Kanto only. I don't like all the Kanto-centred special things for the games and anime, as I am a more recent fan and so connect more with regions like Unova, Hoenn and Alola and therefore don't get the experience that others get at all.

I think I felt exactly the same with origins. Especially as they haven't done an origins series for the other Generations so far.

Makes sense. Obviously, newer fans aren't going to have the sense of nostalgia that they're clearly going for with this movie. It's definitely aimed at least partially at people who grew up with Pokemon when it was first starting out: the ones who grew up watching Ash, Brock, and Misty every week without imagining that the three could ever be separated someday. That being said, I still think that younger fans can get some enjoyment out of this movie, especially those who haven't seen the earlier seasons of the show and don't know Ash and Pikachu's origins quite as well.

I do find it a little strange that they're doing this in place of a S/M movie, though. Seems more like something they'd do as it's own separate thing, similar to Origins and Generations.

Last edited:

DS0308

<--- Actually me
Pikachu's reaction at the end of that trailer summed it up for me... the ****?

Really need more info because right now I have no idea, a lot of speculation, not a lot of facts. It's nice that they're doing something different for the 20th movie though.

Navin

MALDREAD
What if this is SM Ash giving a report about his past adventures and highlights from the OS-XY in the school he's attending as an assignment?

It may not make for much of bonafide movie, but I totally want this to happen.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Well my guess is that the reason they are going for a different route for the Movie this time (seems like it), because maybe also for the TV Anime story-line.

In older Saga's, Ash always moved around to travel, which made it easy for the Movie's to make an exclusive area for its plot which easily could be skipped (if needed) in the TV Series.
But on the other hand, in this SM Saga, Ash is stuck on an island and doesn't travel much (because of the School plot), so making an exclusive area for the movie might be hard.

Most likely this means that, atleast until July Ash would be staying on "Melemele Island", and won't move around much. That's my guess.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Would you want to see other pokemon movies based off Ash's other adventures ?(Jotho, Hoenn,Sinnoh,Unova, and Kalos)

or

Would you still want to see one movie focused on the Alola region?

Alola movies, of course... This was just for 20th anniversary, so we will get 2 Alola movies in 2018 and 2019.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Honestly, the focus on the hat must be intentional. I think this might be an AU-story, the "new friends and new adventure" seems to be hinting at that as well.

I think I have a pretty good idea what's going to happen.

Ash packs enough underwear (this is definitely an AU-retelling), Ash still starts off with Pikachu, still sees Ho-oh, then sets off to compete in the Indigo League, he captures a Caterpie, it evolves into Metapod, it battles a Metapod in the most anticipated battle ever, get chased by Beedrill, Ash crossdresses to enter the Celadon Gym, Ash releases Pikachu. But then he didn't. Ash gets turned to stone by Mewtwo, and Mew uses its Z-move to restore Ash to flAsh, get chased by some Beedrill, Pikachu loves some Ketchup, Ash loses to Ritchie. Fade to black.. And then we see an adult Ash comatosed in a hospitalbed. And then a finger starts to twitch.. The END! Postcredits: Adult Ash wakes up from the coma.. while Serena and their kids look on to see him awake.

Best.Movie.Ever...

I'm hoping this is an AU and Ash becomes the champion. I can see the narrator trolling the audience at the end by saying "And none of this is canon"

Obviously right after an adult Ash wakes up out of the coma, seeing Serena and their kids standing next to his hospitalbed..

I'm just hyped to see my favorite Poke-girl back in the spotlight where she belongs.

Iris! Back in action!

He better. And just not put Ritchie in it at all. He and Gary fight instead.
I hope the TRio are actually a serious threat when they show up too and have Pokemon they never had instead of being limited to Arbok and Weezing, and Lickitung and Victreebel. Nidoking and Nidoqueen would be awesome to see them with.

Nidoking and Nidoqueen are Gary's, hands off!

I am fully ready to drop the Pokemon franchise as a whole if this movie does not contain at the very least, a 4K Ultra HD remaster of the Metapod vs Metapod battle.

Just imagine the lighting while time drags on! :D

What's the definition of "origin"? The start of things... Red and Green/Blue were the start of the franchise, and THAT's exactly why there hasn't been such a series for GS/RS/DP/BW/XY/SM. Plain and simple. But hey, there's Generations that kinda plays with what you want.

And what is this whining about not being able to connect if the movie is set in Kanto? Not getting the same nostalgia-feel, that's one thing, but completely not being able to connect to it is just being overtly dramatic. For one, it still follows Ash.. Second, you're basically saying you can't handle a shift of location (basically a quick jump into Kanto-land), while you are saying you have connected to multiple storylines in multiple regions already (so you apparently can handle a shift in location). Honestly, that does not make sense, it's hypocritical even. Or is this unableness to connect to anything Kanto just in spite of it getting some more love during the 20th anniversary, because that would be petty. What makes even less sense is that your screenname is Nerdy McNerdface and you're claiming to not have played a game that's set in Kanto? 7.8/10: Not nerdy enough.

What if this is SM Ash giving a report about his past adventures and highlights from the OS-XY in the school he's attending as an assignment?

Then why the vastly different artstyle and differing hat?

TTNH03

Pokemon Researcher
I am fully ready to drop the Pokemon franchise as a whole if this movie does not contain at the very least, a 4K Ultra HD remaster of the Metapod vs Metapod battle.

This will please me greatly if they managed to replicate the whole thing!

TheHumanPokedex

I feel this will be a retelling of OS with couple ideas they had during the time but got scrapped. Wasn't Ash originally supposed to win the league? If so maybe thats how the movie ends (Trollish i know). I just hope this more than just a condensed form of the OS anime in the form of a movie. I want some things to be different (like Ash actually winning/earning his badges)

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I feel this will be a retelling of OS with couple ideas they had during the time but got scrapped. Wasn't Ash originally supposed to win the league? If so maybe thats how the movie ends (Trollish i know). I just hope this more than just a condensed form of the OS anime in the form of a movie. I want some things to be different (like Ash actually winning/earning his badges)

I actually wouldn't mind if Ash was by himself. I always wanted to see what would happen if it was just him and his pokemom
Isn't this what S&M is? I only saw the Disney tease but from what I heard he has no really dedicated group like past series.

I'm not that shocked about this since it had to happen. Yugioh,Digimon & DBZ did it it was only a matter of time till Pokemon was like It Is Time!

Honestly with the ending of SUMO I'd be cool if SUMO 2 or whatever (if we get a follow up) is in Kanto but with a new plot. As for a retelling of everything pre alola that really sounds horrible. That is the issue people had with Origins AND Gens. The fact it was so fast paced. Even a retelling of Kanto (yes just Kanto) would feel odd but be very possible and much better. Like they show him thinking about everything pre league and the movie itself is the league but battles done in modern style. Which could mean different line ups and battle outcomes. Or as crazy as it could be Ash went back to do the IL between Kalos and Alola and it ends up he won the championships in Alola. Which could be a long shot but so was the possibility of this movie happening

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Maybe Ash will finally meet Ho-oh after so many years. If so then I wouldn't mind Ho-oh using telepathy to communicate since it has a special role in the anime as the very first Johto Pokémon to be seen and also the symbol of Ash and Pikachu becoming very close. It also seems to tell Ash which region to go. Ho-oh is currently the only Legendary besides the Alolan ones and Raikou (since it was really Zoroark) that Ash has never met face to face. I think it's finally time for Ho-oh to get the spotlight in a movie.

snorlax512

I'm actually so excited for this... it feels like they are actually acknowledging Ash's journey as a whole! The nostalgia as well... I really hope we see every one of his past companions.

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Very intrigued! I wonder if they'll have any new pokemon show up or if this will just be OS pokemon too, besides Ho-oh of course.

NeoDude-5000

This looks promising! Also this probably sorts out my problem with Gen 7's mythical Pokemon and how they can manage them in the movies. So I think the events will probably be Ash-Pikachu in 2017 for the movies release (which would make sense since this is after all the 20th anniversary for the anime), Marshadow for 2018 (shame we have to wait another year got legitimately get the last remaining Pokemon in the PokeDex), and 2019 will feature a Gen 8 Pokemon. Simple as that!

But overall... CAN'T WAIT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.