• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jul 15: Movie 20 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! (Dec 11: Movie 21 reveal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
Let's be real here guys. I think it was already obvious that the story and the characters were going to be different from the get go. Anyway I want to hope that this movie will be better than the last movies.

Sinnoh remakes are confirmed.

04n70n10

It looks very interesting to me, honestly.

LOL to "a retelling of first episode" theory, we have something more. I don't expect Marshadow so suddenly.

Shocked but "not too shocked", early trailers and previews are generally little informative regarding the final pokemon movie.

Last edited:
Most likely because they'll only be movie characters and therefore have a limited time frame and a set end point, therefore the writers will have (or at least should) have a better idea of how to pace each character and their development.

Yeah, probably. The animation quality is seriously giving me a Kimi No Nawa vibe, and that movie had great character development, so that might be another reason as to why I get the feeling. I know both movies are entirely different, but quite often I'll get a feeling that something will be good based on its graphics, especially if the graphics remind me of something else that's really good.

That's something else as well - for the first time, I feel like I might actually really enjoy Ash's character in this. He's not a "chosen one", we haven't had any evidence of everyone fawning over him yet, he's not a particularly "special" trainer at first, and his personality as of yet feels a whole lot less generic.

Kein

AKA Silktree
They're trying to tell a story that represents the whole series,
In what way? Ash is still most likely going to use Kanto Pokemon only against Kanto gym leaders. The Ho-Oh storyline certainly has more to do with the original series than the rest.

Sure, other characters are using Pokemon from other regions, but that doesn't really have much to do with the anime's history. Maybe you'd have a point if the new characters' teams referenced all the past companions, rather than just Dawn via Piplup.

I don't think that using new characters is the end of the world, but I have yet to see a good argument in favor of it.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Let's be real here guys. I think it was already obvious that the story and the characters were going to be different from the get go. Anyway I want to hope that this movie will be better than the last movies.

Sinnoh remakes are confirmed.

Were you not entertained by the fanservice movie, legendary spam movie and mega evolution spam movie?!

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
TBH, I am disappointed , totally not watching this movie.So, are these two Main characters or CoTM. Maybe these two will be in Gen 8? So confusing. Also, now that we have info; is this non-canon or other timeline/universe?

NPT

Just a member
I for one glad that we're getting an alternate universe story with new companions instead of just a simple retelling of the Original Series. Can't wait to see the group dynamics between Ash and the new characters!

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Funny thing is if this is an alternate universe then everyone's fanfics became canon in some dimension...

Mia Blaze

I'mma gonna Deku in the face, Kacchan
Okay, what part of the movie immediately screamed that it was going to be a remake of the anime's original series? The fact that Ho-Oh is deeply involved means it'll be much more than just that. I wasn't expecting this to be an OS fan-hood nostalgia thing but another interpretation of some of the original series' events. Or another universe based around the same thing, Pokemon does use the many world theory to justify its canons and this is simply another anime canon in another universe. If Pokemon really wanted to make childhood nostalgia then they would reanimate the original series to a better quality and have released it for fans.

The Sinnoh characters obviously mean Sinnoh remakes are in the works and Marshadow was a shock for me, especially since I thought the little guy was going to get his own movie. Please don't say he's the english movie release, I want a hat Pikachu for my Sun and Moon games! Also, Alolan Pokemon were bound to be involved somehow, this is gen seven guys, to be blunt, and they would put a few of their little critters in the movie anyway. I actually am looking forwards to this movie after some... slightly lackluster movies *cough*Hoopa:ClashOfTheAges*cough*, it's well animated and Ash's goal is to battle Ho-oh again, yep... definitely another anime alternate universe.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Heh I knew that Misty and Brock weren't going to be in this lol!

Anyways it looks interesting and I'm hoping this is pointing to a DP remake.

SlimeStack

Is there any hint towards a gym quest in this? People keep mentioning it but it seems to just be an assumption based on the original story from what I can tell. Personally I only think we're seeing Butterfree, Charmander and Team Rocket (and Ash/Pikachu's intro) so that the movie can establish the cast to be used in the story. I don't see the need to adapt any more of the actual Kanto plot if it has nothing to do with mount Tensei, Ho-oh or Marshadow. We have enough going on I think. A Misty/Brock cameo would be appreciated either way though.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Is there any hint towards a gym quest in this? People keep mentioning it but it seems to just be an assumption based on the original story from what I can tell.

Pikachu can be seen dodging purple vines in a battlefield surrounded by colorful trees and other plans.

That would suggest he's fighting Erika's Tangela.

SlimeStack

Pikachu can be seen dodging purple vines in a battlefield surrounded by colorful trees and other plans.

That would suggest he's fighting Erika's Tangela.

Oh good eye. I wonder if it'll be a montage then? Seems like a lot of captures and badges to cover.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Is there any hint towards a gym quest in this? People keep mentioning it but it seems to just be an assumption based on the original story from what I can tell. Personally I only think we're seeing Butterfree, Charmander and Team Rocket (and Ash/Pikachu's intro) so that the movie can establish the cast to be used in the story. I don't see the need to adapt any more of the actual Kanto plot if it has nothing to do with mount Tensei, Ho-oh or Marshadow. We have enough going on I think. A Misty/Brock cameo would be appreciated either way though.

Not sure but I agree about their being too much going on if it is indeed included in the movie. A Misty and Brock cameo would be nice as well.

Anyways I'm not very fond of one of the cast members owning a Lucario but I guess it was probably almost inevitable seeing how overly popular it is.

I'm also interested in the new companions and even though I'm a fan of Dawn, I really don't mind the female lead owning a Piplup. Hopefully this will point to DP remakes and maybe those two will appear in the main Series at some point.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Isn't a tradition make movie only characters with similar designs to the starters' final forms in every first new gen movie? Well, Cross slightly remembers incineroar, though and tradition isn't applied to that movie... which is totally fine.

I'm curious about the whole thing even more, now. Personally, I find the new characters' design kinda common, but nice (they could sincerly avoid to put a lucario in this, it's the only thing that actually bothers me). Looking to marshadow was almost like see a darkrai pre evo.

AU route in full force. That's gonna be interesting. So, the old man is clearly a shout out to Goodshow, the pokemon league president?

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
Holy ****

Color me intrigued.

Also, this movie is totally going to be a retelling of the first episode. Right? Lmao.

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
Isn't a tradition make movie only characters with similar designs to the starters' final forms in every first new gen movie? Well, Cross slightly remembers incineroar, though and tradition isn't applied to that movie... which is totally fine.

It's only been a tradition since Gen IV. Spell of the Unown and Jirachi Wishmaker didn't feature the fully-evolved Johto and Hoenn starters iirc.

AuraKshatriya

So I'm certain others have probably pointed this out already, but...
Bondy's hat - isn't that an almost exact reproduction of Red's original has from the R/B/Y design? The only difference seems to be that the leaf in the circle is red instead of the original green. That's too deliberate a choice to make, so I have to wonder what exactly we're missing about his character.

Animation quality looks great, the Pikachu Gym Battle and the brief shot of Incineroar are proof of that - it's a nice breath of fresh air given that, while the directing of the battles in the S/M anime is still fine, the actual individual shots and sharpness of the animation just doesn't deliver the same impact XY&Z did. Given this movie uses the XY&Z art and animation style, it's fair to assume the team knows that style is logically the most "modern" and visually-appealing version, so they may employ it for the future movies in the S&M saga (hopefully, since S&M's story elements and characters really deserve a good showing in the anime).

The Marshadow inclusion, as well as that of Lucario and Piplup (plus the new companions) was a bolt out of the blue, but it makes sense in a way, since technically all these Pokemon would have existed back then - they just weren't known to the protagonist in the context of the show itself. This is a pretty gutsy move on the part of the Pokemon Company, so perhaps we'll see similar re-telling/alternate universe approaches to the next movie(s) as well.

diakyu

All I can say is, LOL. Some of us tried to tell all of you that this wasn't going to be a retelling but yall didn't listen. Glad they went the more interesting route with this movie.

So, either this is a complete retcon or an alternate timeline scenario (we did have mirror world in XY Saga, so alternate timeline is possible as well) or a dream world scenario created by Marshadow.
I think the most likely scenario is it's an alternate dimension in the generation that deals with that exact thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.