• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jul 15: Movie 20 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! (Dec 11: Movie 21 reveal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Think I got the pun with the old man's name.

ボンジイ can be written with kanji as 凡爺, meaning "ordinary old man". Pretty sure that's what the intent is.

Meaning his name is Bonji.

04n70n10

Many undervalued the fact that, even in the first trailer, Ash has another hat (an hybrid between the OS hat and Alola Hat), NOT his original hat. This apparently small thing indicates something more to be just the first episode in 1 hour and half.

Honestly now it's a bit more interesting, If it's for the sake of nostalgia there are always the fistt episodes to watch.

Last edited:

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Marshadow already getting revealed suprised me. Before they distributed Mew when Bank came out, I thought they would maybe distribute a special Ho-oh as the event pokemon.

Also for me there's no more reason to span the generation to three years when they already reveal their last mythical right now.

Marshadow already getting revealed suprised me. Before they distributed Mew when Bank came out, I thought they would maybe distribute a special Ho-oh as the event pokemon.

Also for me there's no more reason to span the generation to three years when they already reveal their last mythical right now.

Unless there are later SM games that have new event legendaries :p

Soniman

Break the Limit
This excuse that Misty and Brock needed to be gone so original story could be told is a weak one, you can have an a original story and still have the original characters

This excuse that Misty and Brock needed to be gone so original story could be told is a weak one, you can have an a original story and still have the original characters

They wouldn't feel right there imo. The quest to find Ho-oh seems to work better with three budding young trainers rather than one budding young trainer and two experienced trainers that have other jobs to do. Also, like I've mentioned before, newer fans won't be as confused by having OCs, and other fans won't be butt hurt that OS would be getting more love than other seasons. No, OCs is the best way to make it a good celebration for the most people.

As I keep saying - This isn't a celebration of OS. It's of Ash's whole adventure.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Unless there are later SM games that have new event legendaries :p

New pokemon = new gen.

Also doubt them making new pokemon for a simple third version/sequel/remake when they could put them straight ahead into a completely new gen.

Soniman

Break the Limit
They wouldn't feel right there imo. The quest to find Ho-oh seems to work better with three budding young trainers rather than one budding young trainer and two experienced trainers that have other jobs to do. Also, like I've mentioned before, newer fans won't be as confused by having OCs, and other fans won't be butt hurt that OS would be getting more love than other seasons. No, OCs is the best way to make it a good celebration for the most people.

As I keep saying - This isn't a celebration of OS. It's of Ash's whole adventure.

And even under that context, replacing them with random characters still dont make any sense

NeoDude-5000

The trailer looks great, I think I'm going to like this film. I was a bit surprised that the movie is going to have post Gen 1 pokemon (excluding Ho-oh obviously) and Marshadow. I thought they would make 2018's movie be Marshadow's movie so I guess now its Solgaleo and Lunala or Necrozma or whatever.

AmethystLeslie

I'm left wondering, "why deviate from the original plotline?" I also thought Marshadow was gonna get a movie of its own, and not just.. be there to promote its event.

When I saw Piplup there, i thought Ash would go to Sinnoh and/or meet with Dawn. But no, they had these trainers that made me go, "WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?!" (Patrick Star voice and all)

The appearance of Sinnoh pokemon makes me think we're totally getting a remake, and the rest of Gen 7 will be giving out event pokemon from Gen 4. I'm a little more hyped about that, but less hyped about the movie itself.

pokemon fan 132

As I said somewhere else:
Saw the trailer and i can confirm how im not even gonna bother touching this garbage. This movie is utter disappointment and trash as far as im concerned.

You make movie dedicated toward celebration of 20th anniversary of pokemon series. Yet you retcon everything setting Ash and Pikachu in alternate universe with two new characters no one cares and knows about?
Removing Misty and Brock who were clearly crucial and important characters during Ash starting days and pokemon anime roots. On top of that you give false hope of pother older characters like Dawn for example maybe appearing due to Piplup propmotion, and they give pokemon heavily associated with one character to someone else.
What a joke.

Most importantly what's the point?

Do they really think this move will relieve older memories of pokemon fans who grew up with original series? Who grew up watching Ash adventures in OS with his friends Misty and Brock?
Im more than sure it wont. It will only incite anger, shock and disappointments with majority who will even bother going to watch this movie being people who already religiously watch pokemon anime anyway.

Many of you probably don't know this, but pokemon veterans are well familiar how many people quit with pokemon anime for good once original trio was disbanded(backlash after Misty removal lasted for years). And executives finally had chance and logical, symbolic meaning for reunion of original cast. Given its 20th anniversary after all, and they blew it completely.

Now im starting to really suspect how pokemon directors and writers themselves are ashamed of Misty and Brock as Ash traveling companions. Especially Misty given controversy surrounding her, head writer for OS Takeshi Shudo views about her and missed chances to have her character and story live up ti its potential(rather opting to replace her than fix mistakes and give her deserved closure and development).

Trying to erase this two characters and most of things related to pokemon riots completely and hope fans will eventually forget and completely stop caring like they did for GS ball.

How else to explain Misty being ignored for more than 10 years like shew never existed(didn't had her own unresolved story and place in anime never receiving update), Brock following same destiny from looks of it. And now both being excluded from this movie???

Those in charge of pokemon with this move if you ask me showed nothing but disrespect and zero care for older pokemon fans, older major main characters who contributed toward pokemon show becoming recognized and popular internationally. Along with not having any desire and motive to make newer generations of kids familiarized with pokemon anime roots.

True story about how everything began, what were Ash starting days really like and who made impact on his journey and story of pokemon anime itself.
And those were Misty, Brock, Team Rocket and Gary.

I feel in a way sorry for pokemon viewers, because they. Actually we deserved better for such big milestone like 20 year of pokemon anime. Because looking back and comparing pokemon with other franchises and what they were doing for their anniversaries.

Like "Digimon Tri Adventure!" making whole chain of movies made with reunited grown up original cast. "Dragon Ball Super!" following same suit. Yugioh making movie "Yugioh Dark side of Dimensions!" with original characters from first series being part of new adventures refreshed, updated and recognized as important for this series roots.

This is how you make proper anniversaries for long lasting anime.

Unlike Pokemon anime which abandons and disrespects its roots, continuity and history.
Sorry to say but im not interested in this travesty, ahem movie at all.

I'm probably one of the few who are happy Brock, Misty and Gary aren't main characters in this movie. Reading the basic plot, I think they would have had very minor roles to play. It makes sense for Ash, given his history, to be interested in Ho-Oh. You can easily branch a new story from that. But you'd have to come up with actual reasons for characters like Brock and Misty to be interested as well; something besides "well, Ash wants to go and we go where he goes". It would have sucked for old characters to come back only for them not to do anything worthwhile.

That's a very weak excuse. Using older iconic characters in original, completely new adventure would not be anymore hard or challenging than using new ones. Misty, Brock, Gary: all of them could be engaged in story about Ho-oh giving their contribution toward it, while getting to learn some more of their past and ambitions.

Unless your implying how this older characters are flawed concept and dont have required stamina and potential to do anything new, exciting and plausible with them when Ash is in question?
Something I disagree with completely.

Last edited:
Wow. As it turns out opinions are a lot more split on this subject than I thought. Either everyone's crying out in despair for Brock and Misty to be back, they're intrigued by the choice, or they're rejoicing at the new characters showing up.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Wow. As it turns out opinions are a lot more split on this subject than I thought. Either everyone's crying out in despair for Brock and Misty to be back, they're intrigued by the choice, or they're rejoicing at the new characters showing up.

more like 2-3 people are disappointed misty and brock are gone and everyone else is celebrating

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Fire Emblem Gaiden is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year, but I'm interested in how its celebratory anniversary game Echoes is using new characters like Olm, Belica, Gudolph, Poey, and Falbar along with its restructuring and refinement of its plot. The original characters that have been inactive for 25 years didn't have a lot of personality or goals or drive, so it's ok that they've been replaced.

If you understand the silliness of that statement, congrats, you implicitly understand the disappointment some have over the roster lineup for this movie.

Last edited:

Ominous Wind

Happy to see people are using the "it's different so it's automatically a good thing" argument for Brock and Misty's omission. Let's just have a Naruto origin special and replace Sakura and Sasuke with complete original one off characters with lamr designs and see how well that goes LOOOOL.

Shieeet, son! What are you talking about, that would actually be good.

mtqc

MY BEANS!
Much more excited to see that this is a new story with new characters! As much as the nostalgia stuff is cool, it gets... really, really old, tbh. I'm loving the new twist!

Soniman

Break the Limit
Much more excited to see that this is a new story with new characters! As much as the nostalgia stuff is cool, it gets... really, really old, tbh. I'm loving the new twist!

why are we acting like this anime partakes in nostalgia frequentley when its literally the opposite? I mean ffs Misty hasnt appeared in ten years, is one appearence so much to ask?

SlimeStack

I'm kinda surprised that this forum is so interested in continuity for this show in particular. There's so many franchises in various mediums that either ignore/change continuity or reboot it all the time and I've never seen people so passionately against that, yet when it comes to a kid's show where the average audience member either hasn't seen the older series or just doesn't care about them continuity treated like it's vital.

Status
Not open for further replies.