• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jul 15: Movie 20 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! (Dec 11: Movie 21 reveal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmethystLeslie

Wow. As it turns out opinions are a lot more split on this subject than I thought. Either everyone's crying out in despair for Brock and Misty to be back, they're intrigued by the choice, or they're rejoicing at the new characters showing up.

For me, it's more like, "oh, original characters, that's... not whati expected." I never cared either way for any character in the main cast in any saga, so... whatever.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
damn this movie looks awesome! i'm curious to see these new people, souji and makoto, in the movie lowkey hope they're ash's companions in gen 8. looks like the only original characters we're getting are ash, oak, team rocket, and possibly delia. actually, that scene with pikachu dodging a vine looks like a gym battle, so maybe we'll see brock and misty, but only as gym leaders battling ash. also lucario and piplup, totally not a coincidence...

i'm expecting to pikachu to use it's signature z-move either against ho-oh or that incineroar that belongs to cross.

mtqc

MY BEANS!
why are we acting like this anime partakes in nostalgia frequentley when its literally the opposite? I mean ffs Misty hasnt appeared in ten years, is one appearence so much to ask?

It wouldn't be fair to other characters that wouldn't appear, then... why only focus on Misty and Brock? Tracey hasn't made an actual, speaking appearance in quite some time, either. Same with May.

All or nothing, imo. I'd be fine with all of them, but since that's not happening, I'd rather not see favoritism. This is the next best option, and definitely not what I was expecting.

Soniman

Break the Limit
It wouldn't be fair to other characters that wouldn't appear, then... why only focus on Misty and Brock? Tracey hasn't made an actual, speaking appearance in quite some time, either. Same with May.

All or nothing, imo. I'd be fine with all of them, but since that's not happening, I'd rather not see favoritism. This is the next best option, and definitely not what I was expecting.

so either no characters or an extremely bloated unfocused cast??? Alright

why are we acting like this anime partakes in nostalgia frequentley when its literally the opposite? I mean ffs Misty hasnt appeared in ten years, is one appearence so much to ask?

While Misty hasn't appeared in a while, there is still a lot of nostalgia-pandering. Take a look at XY - Diancie's movie turning Pikachu to stone, the dub remixing the original opening...

Soniman

Break the Limit
While Misty hasn't appeared in a while, there is still a lot of nostalgia-pandering. Take a look at XY - Diancie's movie turning Pikachu to stone, the dub remixing the original opening...

please dont even try to pretend XY did anything substantial to acknowledge the past

NPT

Just a member
Aw Geez, complaing about Misty and Brock not appearing in the movie won't help. Just give it up already.

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
The trailer looks great, I think I'm going to like this film. I was a bit surprised that the movie is going to have post Gen 1 pokemon (excluding Ho-oh obviously) and Marshadow. I thought they would make 2018's movie be Marshadow's movie so I guess now its Solgaleo and Lunala or Necrozma or whatever.

Ho-oh too is a Gen II pokemon.

The people who are complaining that brock and misty are not in movie should wait for further information as there could be gym battles in the movie and i don't think they will change the gym leaders in the alternate universe.

Further, i would be completely fine even if they are not appearing in the movie. I really liked the trailer very much and looking forward for the pokemon that ash is going to catch here.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
WHOA WHOA WHOA!

So, not only is this a completely new story, rather than a retelling, and not only is Ho-oh playing a major role, but Ash has new traveling companions and a new rival, those companions and rivals have non-Kanto Pokémon, and Marshadow is in this?!

Color me stunned, because this is not what I was expecting. :eek: However, the trailer is absolutely gorgeous, and the new characters look interesting. A part of me is slightly disappointed that Misty and Brock won't be in this movie, but on the other hand, another part of me is interested in these new characters. I am actually quite hyped for this movie--even more so than I was before. :D I hope this movie dives more into the relationship between Ash and Ho-oh. Finally, Ho-oh gets focus in a Pokémon movie! It's about time!

Also, it seems this movie is full of celebrity cameos. I noticed Shokotan is voicing Nurse Joy. :)

Last edited:
I've just realised how these new OCs, who may have really nice personalities and be great companions, will be hated by a portion of the fandom anyway purely because they were hoping for Misty, Brock and Gary.

Rohanator

I'm surprised that some of you are actually EXCITED for these new characters. I'm personally not mad cause I kind of expected them to do this but you WANTED it? Do you not realize what this means? This movie will basically just be like the other, regular Pokemon movies in terms of its writing. A story focused on a legendary Pokemon in which Ash meets a few random humans at the beginning of the story who will sort of guide him through the plot but who no one actually cares about. The only reason this will be special is because we're already invested in this whole deal between Ash and Ho-oh. Nothing else in the movie will actually matter.

The lack of companions is probably good actually since they never actually do anything in the movies, but that doesn't mean these new characters will be anything spectacular. I would've preferred it just being Ash and his Pokemon alone, seeing him have a proper solo adventure for once. Also now we need to focus in giving them characterization and backstories, rather than fleshing out ASH's character as much as possible. They're probably just there cause they needed to promote gen 4 Mons anyway (if it leads to gen 4 remakes then sure Ill be happy but still).

I mean, MAYBE they'll pull some exceptional writing for these new guys, there have been a few memorable movie characters after all (namely Molly, Sam and maybe Melody), but their track record speaks for itself and the fact that they're replacing the classics isn't helping their case.

What'll make this movie for me is if we actually get to see all (or most, at least) of the Pokemon Ash caught in Kanto, and the fact that there seems to be actual 1v1 Pokemon battling in it (which is why Cross is the one character I'm welcoming, seeing Ash have a rival in a movie should be interesting. But again he should've been the ONLY important new character, to dedicate as much time for the rivalry as possible).

Last edited:

VoltTacklingPika

pokemon fan 123" said:
That's a very weak excuse. Using older iconic characters in original, completely new adventure would not be anymore hard or challenging than using new ones. Misty, Brock, Gary: all of them could be engaged in story about Ho-oh giving their contribution toward it, while getting to learn some more of their past and ambitions.

Unless your implying how this older characters are flawed concept and dont have required stamina and potential to do anything new, exciting and plausible with them when Ash is in question?
Something I disagree with completely.

The way I see it, is that in a story that deviates from the very first day of Ash's adventure, neither Brock or Misty have a reason to be involved unless Ash specifically involves them. This isn't a story where Ash and friends are travelling and just stumble upon a new legendary; it's one where Ash is specifically driven to find Ho-Oh. So you have to consider the ramifications of that for other characters. Originally Brock and Misty left their families and gyms for self-improvement, but that excuse doesn't exist in this scenario because they'd be leaving to hunt down a legend. Unless they somehow change the characters' motivations to be strongly related to Ho-Oh, there's no reason for them to be involved besides nostalgia.

rohanator said:
I'm surprised that some of you are actually EXCITED for these new characters. I'm personally not mad cause I kind of expected them to do this but you WANTED it? Do you not realize what this means? This movie will basically just be like the other, regular Pokemon movies in terms of its writing. A story focused on a legendary Pokemon in which Ash meets a few random humans at the beginning of the story who will sort of guide him through the plot but who no one actually cares about. The only reason this will be special is because we're already invested in this whole deal between Ash and Ho-oh. Nothing else in the movie will actually matter.

I didn't see anything in the trailers that suggested it would be anything other than a story focused on a legendary Pokemon, just like every other movie. Putting the old characters in wouldn't have changed that at all. Instead of just Ash being guided by random people it'd be Ash, Brock and Misty being guided by random people. Not a huge difference.

Last edited:

Soniman

Break the Limit

exactly, ash just gets new movie exclusive characters and their always generic and dull, so why people are ecstatic about this perplexes me

Rohanator

The way I see it, is that in a story that deviates from the very first day of Ash's adventure, neither Brock or Misty have a reason to be involved unless Ash specifically involves them. This isn't a story where Ash and friends are travelling and just stumble upon a new legendary; it's one where Ash is specifically driven to find Ho-Oh. So you have to consider the ramifications of that for other characters. Originally Brock and Misty left their families and gyms for self-improvement, but that excuse doesn't exist in this scenario because they'd be leaving to hunt down a legend. Unless they somehow change the characters' motivations to be strongly related to Ho-Oh, there's no reason for them to be involved besides nostalgia.
But Misty and Brock were still just following Ash. Sure they had their own reasons for traveling, but they were still following Ash, heading for the destinations that mattered for HIM. There's no narrative difference in traveling with Ash for the sake of chasing Ho-oh or for the sake of heading for the league.

exactly, ash just gets new movie exclusive characters and their always generic and dull, so why people are ecstatic about this perplexes me

The summaries are enough to tell us they aren't generic. One is going to be very intelligence-centred, while the other has already been confirmed to have some sort of backstory or character development based on their bio. Also, there is a simple thing that been happening recently with the anime. It's called change.

Rohanator

The summaries are enough to tell us they aren't generic. One is going to be very intelligence-centred, while the other has already been confirmed to have some sort of backstory or character development based on their bio. Also, there is a simple thing that been happening recently with the anime. It's called change.
Our perception of what generic means must be quite different xD

Having basic character traits and backstory doesn't make a character not generic. It'll just mean that they have the bare minimum of what any character should have.

Ash, the rash shonen protagonist, Makoto, the cheerful girl, and Soji, the calm smart guy. It's SUPER generic. And that doesn't automatically make them bad, but are they really worth out time in a movie that was supposed to be something special?

Last edited:

mtqc

MY BEANS!
so either no characters or an extremely bloated unfocused cast??? Alright

Bloated is right, which is why this option is most likely the better of the two! :p

Anyway, I just noticed Ash's hat symbol is on his backpack... cuuuute<3

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Well, I definitely wasn't expecting new characters, seeing Marshadow, and such...and I was hoping that Gary would be in this, which I guess he still can, but my expections for him being in it are waaaay low now, and I'm a bit disappointed in that. However, the animation does look really good (which is very appealing to me personally), I'm always interested in new characters regardless, and Ho-oh getting focus is cool too (we pretty much knew that before though).

Also, why am I not surprised that Lucario is in this lol, I bet we'll see a Greninja too somewhere in this movie as well hehe.

VoltTacklingPika

But Misty and Brock were still just following Ash. Sure they had their own reasons for traveling, but they were still following Ash, heading for the destinations that mattered for HIM. There's no narrative difference in traveling with Ash for the sake of chasing Ho-oh or for the sake of heading for the league.

There's a big narrative difference between travelling for self-improvement, as Brock and Misty were, and travelling to find a Legendary. How does going after Ho-Oh pertain to Misty's goal to be a great water Pokemon trainer? How does it help Brock become a great breeder? How are those goals relevant to Ash's own personal quest of finding Ho-Oh? Would you really join a kid on an adventure like that, essentially travelling for his sake, without barely knowing him?

It's easy for Brock and Misty to tag along with Ash when he's doing gyms, because they can still fulfil their own goals at the same time. That's not quite the case for this film.

What I'm driving at is that I believe a story about Ho-Oh and Mashadow is better off involving new characters specifically designed for that story, rather than trying to shoehorn old characters into it for nostalgia purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.