• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jul 15: Movie 20 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! (Dec 11: Movie 21 reveal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Why?

Please explain to me in great detail, in a way that an idiot like me can understand, the reasons why you're excited for these characters? Accepting them? Sure that's fair. But why would you want this?

because nostalgia = always bad, and new things = always good

Cyclone

^ where it all began
UGH. This is a TERRIBLE artistic choice. After ALL the characters over the years they could have chosen -- Misty, Brock, Dawn, May, Max, etc. They choose some random as hell trainers? What the heck were they thinking?? Don't re-do the first season of Pokemon unless you're going to actually do it right. UGH. UGH. UGH. UGH. UGH. UGH. UGH. UGH. UGH.

Spyro39

I've just realised how these new OCs, who may have really nice personalities and be great companions, will be hated by a portion of the fandom anyway purely because they were hoping for Misty, Brock and Gary.

That's the same reason May was initially hated when she replaced Misty for AG, or when Cilan was initially hated when he replaced Brock for BW. Or more recently, the SM Pokegirls garnering hate because they replaced Serena. It's not really fair to criticize these new characters because they replaced your fan favorites.

Jeez guys, seriously it's a movie aimed at both older and more modern audiences, and yes that means kids who watched the anime WITHOUT Brock or Misty. If you want your nostalgia fix for the Kanto Series then watch it on TV or on Youtube or something. It would be stupid to just retell the first series in HD goodness, as it wouldn't make an amazing plot since we have already seen it, the focus with Ho-Oh from the original trailer should have told you that for nothing and no, before you say that the Trailer isn't representative for movie, we are too close to the Movie's release to have trailers with stuff that isn't going to be shown in the final product.

Having different companions makes it more interesting and including newer gen Pokemon shows that, even though they weren't around in the anime seires of the nineties, these Pokemon still existed in their specific regions and trainers from those said reasons came to Kanto to train or to study. I am literally hitting my head on the wall to all of the backlash the announcement is getting. Ho-Oh has its own movie and we aren't going down the Hoopa path! Misty had been confirmed to never make a main role in the anime or movies years ago and her last main appearance was in the tenth anniversary special made by the American Pokemon Company, the TPCI which the Japanese dubbed in their language as well. I'm pretty sure she's not going to show up when it's confirmed she won't again outside cameos.

I guess what got people thinking that Gary, Misty, and Brock (myself included) was going to be in this movie was because this movie was an exact retelling of Ash beginning his journey. It not only would've been nostalgic fanservice to the older fans who grew up with this anime, but also helped the young children of this generation become familiar with Ash's origins and get to know the very first traveling companions who was there to help him get this far into his journey.

But as everyone said, this is not just catering to the OS fans, it's catering to all fans of the anime.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Jeez guys, seriously it's a movie aimed at both older and more modern audiences, and yes that means kids who watched the anime WITHOUT Brock or Misty.

This is a good point, and this is actually one of the reasons I'm not raging, even though I'm disappointed neither Misty nor Brock are Ash's companions in this movie. This movie is aimed at both older fans and at newer, younger fans. Newer fans won't appreciate Misty or Brock appearing in this movie, because they have no nostalgia attached to those characters (with the exception of fans who watched DP, who might be nostalgic for Brock). A lot of newer fans don't even know who Misty is. Her being in this movie won't mean anything more to them than having an original character.

Personally, I think it's great that this movie is taking the time to retell how Ash and Pikachu met; that's something worth showing newer fans, since Ash and Pikachu's relationship is one of the staples of the series, and up until now, newer fans have never had the opportunity to learn how their relationship began unless they watched the first episode of OS.

I knew from when the trailer premiered on Oha Suta that this was going to be an original story, because one of the Oha Suta hosts mentioned it, so to be honest, a part of me isn't all that surprised that neither Misty nor Brock are Ash's companions. (That this was going to be an original story was also an indication that this is not an exact retelling of OS.) We may still see them as Gym Leaders, which would be nice.

I suppose I'm staying optimistic, despite my disappointment. This movie may turn out to be really good, even if it doesn't deliver the nostalgia boner many of us were hoping for.

so if marshadow and pikachu are both in the movie..........will we see both 10M Volt Thunderbolt and Soul Stealing 7-Star Strike?

That would be awesome to see. :D

Last edited:

dp045

Raise your hand if you are actually excited about the movie and these new characters and the potential they hold.

Because I am.

Better not, the movie may end up being a big disappointment so better not get excited.

Mia Blaze

I'mma gonna Deku in the face, Kacchan
UGH. This is a TERRIBLE artistic choice. After ALL the characters over the years they could have chosen -- Misty, Brock, Dawn, May, Max, etc. They choose some random as hell trainers? What the heck were they thinking?? Don't re-do the first season of Pokemon unless you're going to actually do it right. UGH. UGH. UGH. UGH. UGH. UGH. UGH. UGH. UGH.

That's the thing, they aren't. It's an Alternative Universe telling of A Kanto journey, not THE journey from the original series. Ho-Oh only appeared once in the OS and now it's a main character. This is an AU movie focusing on the many world's interpretation of the Pokemon Franchise. This is another one of those worlds that, instead of Brock and Misty, Ash is with the two in the trailer.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I'm going to say what I said to the Ghostbusters reboot.

If it is a good movie, then it is a good movie. If it is a bad movie, then you still have the original.

Janovy

Banned
Why?

Please explain to me in great detail, in a way that an idiot like me can understand, the reasons why you're excited for these characters? Accepting them? Sure that's fair. But why would you want this?
Because I already know all about Misty and Brock and they have nothing new to offer to me in terms of storytelling.

New characters potentially getting new companions status is very interesting IMO.

Also because IT MAKES SENSE. In a legit AU, there exists a legit possibility that Ash's doesn't end up travelling with Misty and Brock.

To be more precise, I would have also liked Misty and Brock, but I have nothing against these characters like you guys do.

because nostalgia = always bad, and new things = always good
As narrow-minded as usual. Stay classy.

Last edited:

Everything12

Honestly I started Pokemon in Gen IV so I don't have any nostalgia memories of Misty , Gary, and Brock and from what I've seen of these new companions they seem interesting, though I do worry if one movie is enough time to fully flesh them out as characters. I honestly like how this time its Ash searching for Ho-Oh and not just randomly coming across it and I do wonder what role Marshadow will play.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Because I already know all about Misty and Brock and they have nothing new to offer to me in terms of storytelling.

New characters potentially getting new companions status is very interesting IMO.

Also because IT MAKES SENSE. In a legit AU, there exists a legit possibility that Ash's doesn't end up travelling with Misty and Brock.

Wouldn't go that far to say Misty and Brock have nothing new to offer. They could have used the adaptation personality change trope. I just hope the companions don't end up like CotM like most movie characters.

Cyclone

^ where it all began
Jeez guys, seriously it's a movie aimed at both older and more modern audiences, and yes that means kids who watched the anime WITHOUT Brock or Misty.

And there is ZERO audience that has ever watched the anime with these 2 new random trainers. Because they never existed before. Which in my opinion makes it a bizarre and terrible artistic choice.

That's the thing, they aren't. It's an Alternative Universe telling of A Kanto journey, not THE journey from the original series. Ho-Oh only appeared once in the OS and now it's a main character. This is an AU movie focusing on the many world's interpretation of the Pokemon Franchise. This is another one of those worlds that, instead of Brock and Misty, Ash is with the two in the trailer.

Everything you just described is also a TERRIBLE and BIZARRE artistic choice, in my opinion. it doesn't really matter if it's a "remake" or a "reenvisioning." Don't take the First Season and just basically crap on it for no reason. Why don't they just set Ash in a whole new region? Why does it have to be the First Season? And to say that they're not trying to "remake" the first season is obviously not true. Considering that there are several iconic scenes from the first season highly represented in the trailer, like Ash dragging Pikachu with the rope, refusing to go in the Pokeball, etc. That is a remake, not a whole new thing like you're saying.

Last edited:

Soniman

Break the Limit
As narrow-minded as usual. Stay classy.
ooo insults, nice you're stepping up your game now

Also thats exactly the line of thinking im seeing in general for why this was such a good decision, its frustrating

Janovy

Banned
insults, nice you're stepping up your game now

Also thats exactly the line of thinking im seeing in general for why this was such a good decision, its frustrating
It's not an insult, it's a legit argument.

You are so blinded by nostalgia you refuse to accept to accept the possibility that anything new could be good.

Also, your argument that people think that everything new is good is SO BAD and SO NARROW-MINDED. Please change your way of thinking. PLEASE. Consider the possibility that people like both old and new, but are actually willing to give the new a chance before dismissing it as trash. You should try it sometimes.

SlimeStack

People here do realise that they don't factor in the wishes of the English speaking internet fanbase when making movies right? Like no one's asking you to like it but some people actually seem to think the film won't do as well just because it isn't whatever they wanted it to be. Japanese kids couldn't care less about this stuff.

Mia Blaze

I'mma gonna Deku in the face, Kacchan
And there is ZERO audience that has ever watched the anime with these 2 new random trainers. Because they never existed before. Which in my opinion makes it a bizarre and terrible artistic choice.

Everything you just described is also a TERRIBLE and BIZARRE artistic choice, in my opinion.

In your opinion, there are people who actually like the idea of fresh characters and people who like the idea that its a new version. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and you're expressing yours which is okay. Just bear in mind some people may like this. It has to be at least a slightly bit better than the Hoopa movie which was stupid, and that's my opinion. As I never knew Misty and only knew Brock for the space of Sinnoh in my nostalgia, I'm not really affected by the change all that much.

Spyro39

People here do realise that they don't factor in the wishes of the English speaking internet fanbase when making movies right? Like no one's asking you to like it but some people actually seem to think the film won't do as well just because it isn't whatever they wanted it to be. Japanese kids couldn't care less about this stuff.

Does anyone know what the Japanese fans thought of the OS series when they grew up with the anime like us? If they're not nostalgic biased like most of us, could that be why the writers decided to alter the storytelling of Ash beginning his journey and replace Gary, Misty, and Brock with 3 original characters?

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
I do appreciate new things.

Like the XY anime.

And the SM anime.

And the BW anime.

And the DP anime.

And the AG anime.

The 20th ann. movie presented itself as if it was giving us a refurbished old thing for a change of pace.

It didn't.

So forgive me and others for being disappointed by the facade.

dp045

Does anyone know what the Japanese fans thought of the OS series when they grew up with the anime like us? If they're not nostalgic biased like most of us, could that be why the writers decided to alter the storytelling of Ash beginning his journey and replace Gary, Misty, and Brock with 3 original characters?

Mmm ... no, it is safe to assume that the Japanese audience is affected by nostalgia and there is really no reason for the actions taken by the staff on the anime, they only do it because yes and nothing else (besides prioritizing the marketing ).

Janovy

Banned
IThe 20th ann. movie presented itself as if it was giving us a refurbished old thing for a change of pace.
When did the movie present itself as that lol?

People have been speculating for a while that this will be an AU and there have been plenty of hints about that.

I have no idea why people still clung to the idea that we were getting a retelling of episode 1 when the redesigned outfit and blatant Ho-oh focus promised us something new. And the Rainbow Wing. Seriously.

Soniman

Break the Limit
It's not an insult, it's a legit argument.

You are so blinded by nostalgia you refuse to accept to accept the possibility that anything new could be good.

i literally said that I was still looking forward to this movie, but the idea to replace misty and brock was still an idiotic decision for an anniversary movie please read my post more throughly before making accusations

Also, your argument that people think that everything new is good is SO BAD and SO NARROW-MINDED. Please change your way of thinking. PLEASE. Consider the possibility that people like both old and new, but are actually willing to give the new a chance before dismissing it as trash. You should try it sometimes.

I just see a lot of this stigma for nostalgia and acting like having movie exclusive original characters is such a bold and new move when its really not

Status
Not open for further replies.