• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jul 15: Movie 20 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! (Dec 11: Movie 21 reveal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I really don't get this film. Trying to capture nostalgia but doing so by mixing it up with new stuff and cutting out essential parts of what made the OS nostalgic in the first place (Misty and Brock as far as I'm concerned made the OS what it is)... why? Why not just make a story set in Alola? Why, if you wanted a film about the whole of Pokemon (as has been explained in this thread), not just take bits and pieces from each series and make something new out of that? Why adhere so closely to the OS? I don't get it.

Perhaps this film is not meant to just be a homage to OS/Kanto. Makoto and Souji have a Piplup and a Lucario, respectively; those could be seen as references to Sinnoh. Ho-oh is playing a major role, and while that is more obviously a throwback to the first episode of OS (at least, it appears that way so far), one could argue it's also a reference to Johto. Marshadow is in this and Cross has an Incineroar; there are the references to Alola. The movie takes place in Kanto (or, at least, the beginning of the movie does). All we need are confirmed references to Hoenn and Unova, and the movie would actually have every region covered.

Since Misty and Brock are not Ash's companions in this movie, I'm interested in what roles Makoto and Souji will play that Misty and Brock (or any of Ash's other companions) could not. I'm determined not to let my disappointment at not seeing old characters ruin this movie for me.

I also want to know why in the name of Arceus Team Rocket is in this movie. They had better either be the villains or have almost no screen time.

SlimeStack

Team Rocket or Marshadow maybe?

Marshadow would be cool. It would actually be pretty cool if Cross was the villain too, but not necessarily evil just a rival. Works for Red/Ash and Blue/Gary. Incineroar looks like a good analogue for Blastoise.

I feel like Team Rocket will just be like usual, but hopefully they'll be more active in the plot like they are in some of the movies.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
What I'm hoping for is Giovanni playing a role in this. He's going to have the TRio follow Ash around until Ho-oh is found and attempts to capture it. Now there is a good use for TRio.

greninjamaster

Well they used in previous trailers some elements which succeeded to hook older fans making them starting to really think how this movie will be set in already existing continuity with original trio as whole being represented.

From using original BGM song, Ash being attacked by Spearow, carrying injured Pilachu in his arms to get help. whole scene of Pikachu refusing to enter pokeball with Ash dragging it with rope, logo etc..

All of this gave implication how plot of this movie was gonna follow original canon. Story of how everything began regarding Ash journey and pokemon anime itself. Since this scenes really did happen in Kanto when Ash was just starting out, and some of showed scenes happened after he met Misty in first episode.

Whole emphasis on Ho-oh as result made people lulled in belief and speculation how maybe this movie wont be just simple rerun of Kanto, but original so far unrevealed story which my have took place in past during time when Ash traveled with Misty and Brock.

Story where all three together meet Ho-Oh, participate in resolving whatever problems might occur from such encounter and reveal on its connection to Ash and importance it has for pokemon world.
Some sort of added never told before bonus to OS and side adventure they experienced when exploring together Kanto which wasn't showed in anime series.

Putting in movie title word anniversary which by its meaning usually implies paying attention to anime roots, bringing back older major characters , acknowledging older fans existence and doing homage to past.

Didn't helped either making many starting to come up with conclusions how this movie really is gonna be so much awaited opportunity for return of Ash first and original traveling companions.

Even if it would just be retelling past which already happened. But past where new things would still be showed and done with them regardless since movie would focus on adventure to figure out mystery behind this ever so enigmatic legendary pokemon.

Admittedly maybe fans themselves looked too hard into this finding and prematurely concluding things. So partially they are responsible to carry burden of raising up their hopes too soon and jumping to conclusions.

But at same time older trailers gave incentive and certain room left for people to form such opinions and take it as genuine possibility.

All of this is everything I agree with.
I'm interested in what roles Makoto and Souji will play that Misty and Brock (or any of Ash's other companions) could not.

Their role is to promote the Sinnoh remakes. :)

SlimeStack

I also want to know why in the name of Arceus Team Rocket is in this movie. They had better either be the villains or have almost no screen time.

Well I mean Team Rocket go hand in hand with Ash and Pikachu. Like it or not they are main characters, when even Brock can't say that any more.

Just heard about the news and seen the trailer and as someone who grew up with the OS I've got to comment about this.

I'm probably not going to be watching this film when it comes out. The news that Misty and Brock are going to be replaced by these new characters is a crushing blow to me since I was so excited to see what I thought was going to be a throwback to the first episodes. Instead we have these new characters in old scenes. I don't think I can watch that, I'd just be too irritated seeing these characters in place of my childhood characters. In terms of how big this mistake is they may as well replace Ash as far as I'm concerned with a new character, after all they've changed so much from the original story.

What I'm most disappointed in is this is yet another reminder that Misty is a dead character. Dead, buried and never coming back. I'm really mystified as to why people are so happy in these new characters which are replacing characters we haven't seen in years, fan favourites if I recall correctly. I mean, doesn't anyone on this site like Misty and Brock? Why are you so happy at another confirmation that the characters are history?

I really don't get this film. Trying to capture nostalgia but doing so by mixing it up with new stuff and cutting out essential parts of what made the OS nostalgic in the first place (Misty and Brock as far as I'm concerned made the OS what it is)... why? Why not just make a story set in Alola? Why, if you wanted a film about the whole of Pokemon (as has been explained in this thread), not just take bits and pieces from each series and make something new out of that? Why adhere so closely to the OS? I don't get it.

While this was a massive infodump, there is still a lot we don't know, so... stick around, I guess? No one expected Marshadow to be in this movie. Maybe some reveal you like could come right out of the left field.

And I like Misty & Brock! They had a super fun dynamic together. People just feel that we should let go of the past, and focus on the future. Frankly, I'm just neutral to the replacement. They could either do amazing things with it or completely ruin it, and I'm hoping for the former.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Well I mean Team Rocket go hand in hand with Ash and Pikachu. Like it or not they are main characters, when even Brock can't say that any more.

They're like the most popular characters in Japan as well I believe. I really hope we don't get the "DP/XY trio"; I'd like to see a combination of how they were in the OS and BW

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
It could be a movie where Ash had already said goodbye to Misty and Brock. Between "Gotta Catch Ya Later" and "Hoenn Alone". Think of it like the Broly Movie within the timeframe of the Cell Games.
This could very well be after the Silver conference.

Remember Ash DID see Ho-oh heading towards Hoenn
Edit:
The scenes we see with Butterfree and Charmander could be flashbacks

Last edited:

SlimeStack

It could be a movie where Ash had already said goodbye to Misty and Brock. Between "Gotta Catch Ya Later" and "Hoenn Alone". Think of it like the Broly Movie within the timeframe of the Cell Games.
This could very well be after the Silver conference.

Remember Ash DID see Ho-oh heading towards Hoenn

I was actually thinking this too. Like maybe Brock and Misty are there in the apparent gym match against Erika and Ash meets up with Makoto and Souji after.

Only thing is, Ash seems to be running and carrying Pikachu without Misty's bike in the spearow scenes. It could just be a simplification of events or it could mean Misty being written out. We'll have to wait and see.

Makoto asking about the Team Rocket poster makes it seem like she's just replaced Misty in episode 2 but I mean anyone can ask Nurse Joy about Team Rocket so who knows.

Ive given up trying to lighten up the mood. If a mod telling people to calm down didn't work then I don't know what will.

Perhaps this film is not meant to just be a homage to OS/Kanto. Makoto and Souji have a Piplup and a Lucario, respectively; those could be seen as references to Sinnoh. Ho-oh is playing a major role, and while that is more obviously a throwback to the first episode of OS (at least, it appears that way so far), one could argue it's also a reference to Johto. Marshadow is in this and Cross has an Incineroar; there are the references to Alola. The movie takes place in Kanto (or, at least, the beginning of the movie does). All we need are confirmed references to Hoenn and Unova, and the movie would actually have every region covered.

Well, Riolu is only obtainable in the wild in Unova, so it's possible that Soji lived there instead of Sinnoh. As for Hoenn... I've got nothing so far :/

I really hope that every generation gets referenced. I want to see something for my home region and one of my favourite regions :p

Since Misty and Brock are not Ash's companions in this movie, I'm interested in what roles Makoto and Souji will play that Misty and Brock (or any of Ash's other companions) could not. I'm determined not to let my disappointment at not seeing old characters ruin this movie for me.

I think that maybe they won't exactly have something entirely new (although I hope they do), but they could have several things from previous companions. Soji could be intelligent like Brock and Clement but have an appetite for food like Cilan, while Makoto could be a tomboy like Misty and May, get into friendly arguments with Ash like Iris and... something that Serena did with Ash that wasn't her crush. Honestly though, I'd rather be surprised and have completely new things brought to the table.

They're there for obvious reasons, but I hope that they just fade into the background early on. I'd rather see this story focus on the new OCs and Ash rather than TR.

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
I was actually thinking this too. Like maybe Brock and Misty are there in the apparent gym match against Erika and Ash meets up with Makoto and Souji after.

Only thing is, Ash seems to be running and carrying Pikachu without Misty's bike in the spearow scenes. It could just be a simplification of events or it could mean Misty being written out. We'll have to wait and see.

Makoto asking about the Team Rocket poster makes it seem like she's just replaced Misty in episode 2 but I mean anyone can ask Nurse Joy about Team Rocket so who knows.

Ash could be retracing steps to track Ho-oh and we might just see landmarks of his journey triggering flashbacks and Nurse Joy' s comments.

Last edited:

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
You know how Ash got most his gym badges out of pity? This could be a redemption movie where he tries to redeem himself by battling the gym leaders fairly and actually winning

dp045

You know how Ash got most his gym badges out of pity? This could be a redemption movie where he tries to redeem himself by battling the gym leaders fairly and actually winning

I do not think that's the case, because according to the information given the plot of the movie is that Pikachu and Ash go in the search of Ho-Oh to challenge you to a fight, so that I leave one of his feathers. So the collection of the insignia and participate in the Pokémon League would not be the focus of this movie and although in the trailer you can see a gym battle (against Erika) we do not know for sure if in the movie Ash would challenge more leaders Or at least get a badge or even interested in participating in the Kanto League.
Anyway, maybe once the plot that involves Ho-Oh (and probably Marshadow as well) the movie could end with Ash deciding to participate in the Pokémon League and continue his adventure, to see if he continues to travel with Souji And Makoto, or maybe these separate and finally formed the original trio with Kasumi and Takeshi ...

Last edited:

VoltTacklingPika

You know what I'm still wrapping my head around?

Makoto's hair. It's pulled up into this bizarre shrub of a pony-tail, but she has that frumpy bit of hair at the back. It looks like she has it short at the back but long on the sides, which is pulled up into the pony, but it's hard to tell because the way it's drawn resembles lego hair. I'm irrationally bothered by this.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Since when did a mod tell everyone to calm down? I read all the pages and I haven't seen one yet but McNerdy is right for lighting up the mood here. We all made our first reactions here. I too believe Ash won't get pity badges this time and fight for what he earned.

I really can't wait to see how Ash meets Makoto and Soji. They need more screentime!!!! :D

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer

Makoto's hair. It's pulled up into this bizarre shrub of a pony-tail, but she has that frumpy bit of hair at the back. It looks like she has it short at the back but long on the sides, which is pulled up into the pony, but it's hard to tell because the way it's drawn resembles lego hair. I'm irrationally bothered by this.

That's nothing compared to Gurkinn and his eyebrow hair XD

dp045

Makoto's hair looks a bit like Alan's. Could she be the counterpart to the "dragoncrow" in the movie universe?

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
I have a feeling that this movie would have received better reception from the fans if the whole anniversary event wasn't a thing and the main character is not Ash from another universe. I think it would have been better if this movie had a different protagonist with no similar characters from the main series. It would honestly change nothing in terms of the story and people would stop complaining about not seeing their favorite veterans and be excited for a story that takes place in a different world and at least see what a reboot would look it.

Status
Not open for further replies.