• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jul 15: Movie 20 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! (Dec 11: Movie 21 reveal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dp045

I have a feeling that this movie would have received better reception from the fans if the whole anniversary event wasn't a thing and the main character is not Ash from another universe. I think it would have been better if this movie had a different protagonist with no similar characters from the main series. It would honestly change nothing in terms of the story and people would stop complaining about not seeing their favorite veterans and be excited for a story that takes place in a different world and at least see what a reboot would look it.

For that is the biggest mistake in general of all the anime: to continue used Ash as a protagonist, forcing a "continuity" (that does not exist), events and adaptations so that it can continue telling its history, establishing a Status Quo and not letting it grow Nor advance in anything.
If Ash had stopped being a protagonist 10-15 years ago and presented us with this movie I dare say that it would be much better received in general.

You know what I'm still wrapping my head around?

Makoto's hair. It's pulled up into this bizarre shrub of a pony-tail, but she has that frumpy bit of hair at the back. It looks like she has it short at the back but long on the sides, which is pulled up into the pony, but it's hard to tell because the way it's drawn resembles lego hair. I'm irrationally bothered by this.

I don't really mind how illogical it is since I've seen weirder. All I say is that as long as it looks good and doesn't play too much into the plot, I'm cool with it.

Since when did a mod tell everyone to calm down?

Sushi did at one point. It was more specifically something along the lines of "stop repeating your disappointment, we get the point".

I read all the pages and I haven't seen one yet but McNerdy is right for lighting up the mood here.

Thank you :3

We all made our first reactions here. I too believe Ash won't get pity badges this time and fight for what he earned.

Yes. I feel like there's a lot of potential for battle sequences in the more important Gym battles. I'm fine with a couple of gyms having a montage due to time limits though.

I really can't wait to see how Ash meets Makoto and Soji. They need more screentime!!!! :D

Yes! I want to see the two new cuties find their way into the adventure. I so want to see more of them!

Harderstyle07

Battle Brain
A plot twist and a half that would probably cause a lot of fans (on both sides of the spectrum) to spontaneously combust. :p

I just had a thought: If Gary appears in this movie, do you think his design will be closer to his "Old Gary" design or his "New Gary" design? Or do you think his design will be a combination of the two--perhaps Old Gary's clothes, but New Gary's hair?

Probably new gary design with old Gary hair.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
For that is the biggest mistake in general of all the anime: to continue used Ash as a protagonist, forcing a "continuity" (that does not exist), events and adaptations so that it can continue telling its history, establishing a Status Quo and not letting it grow Nor advance in anything.
If Ash had stopped being a protagonist 10-15 years ago and presented us with this movie I dare say that it would be much better received in general.

Basically. Ash should have in hindsight left way earlier along with Misty and Brock. A lot of people would have been just fine with completely new characters that makes little to no reference to old sagas in a new universe. But since all the sagas take place in the same universe, it is as if we are teased by the writers that the old characters are indeed still there and they might appear again someday. And now that we have a movie that makes a direct reference to the old saga, most people are expecting the movie to be enriched with continuity and other reference to past sagas and are giving up on the movie just because they didn't get the icing on the cake. New content isn't always good, but it's always good to try things that you never did but could potentially be a home run in the form of introducing a new world.

VoltTacklingPika

I don't really mind how illogical it is since I've seen weirder. All I say is that as long as it looks good and doesn't play too much into the plot, I'm cool with it.

I was mostly kidding tbh. I find her hair to be strikingly quirky. Though it does lead me to a more general concern with the movie's art work looking a little too shiny. And it's a bit jarring seeing these very simple character designs on these super-detailed backgrounds. Almost as if the backgrounds are too pretty for its own good, if that makes sense.

dp045

Basically. Ash should have in hindsight left way earlier along with Misty and Brock. A lot of people would have been just fine with completely new characters that makes little to no reference to old sagas in a new universe. But since all the sagas take place in the same universe, it is as if we are teased by the writers that the old characters are indeed still there and they might appear again someday. And now that we have a movie that makes a direct reference to the old saga, most people are expecting the movie to be enriched with continuity and other reference to past sagas and are giving up on the movie just because they didn't get the icing on the cake. New content isn't always good, but it's always good to try things that you never did but could potentially be a home run in the form of introducing a new world.

It is true that on the part of the Staff it was something "treacherous" to replace Misty and Brock in a movie that would be a "reboot" of the story of Ash, since they could have kept as companions but modifying their objectives and / or roles that they had To better adapt them to the plot of the film.
But something that if to emphasize is that by the characteristics of the film and that would be a "universe" different from the one of the anime is the perfect opportunity to give a true development to Ash even a descenlace since it would not be strictly necessary to respect the status Quo that suffers regular anime. Actually, the movie could be good and although it ends in an "open" with the adventures of Ash really could leave satisfied the majority of fans and in case they want to continue the story of the movie could be by OVA's to see As they adapt the adventures of Ash in other regions and perhaps give an end to its history, even as a fan service for older fans. Or, this could be a trilogy of movies but that unfortunately would leave the SM anime without a movie of its own.

In the end, it will also have to see if the film is really good and if it is worthwhile to continue exploring the "new universe" that opened (could be bad and disappointing) but for now there is a good opportunity to do things well and give something Of love to the character of Ash :v

I was mostly kidding tbh. I find her hair to be strikingly quirky. Though it does lead me to a more general concern with the movie's art work looking a little too shiny. And it's a bit jarring seeing these very simple character designs on these super-detailed backgrounds. Almost as if the backgrounds are too pretty for its own good, if that makes sense.

I personally really like the spray the style works. I've never been one to enjoy a series that disapkus characters as realistic, but I love when there's a pretty sunset behind everything. I really enjoy how the characters look when it comes to colours, the way the hair and eyes are drawn, the way the clothes are drawn and so on. I honestly don't mind about the style overlap tbh.

Harderstyle07

Battle Brain
Imagine if Makoto end up growing her hair throughout the movie and end up looking like the beta girl from Red and Blue or Leaf(FR & LG) lol
I mean Makoto does have the same hair color as her.

VoltTacklingPika

I personally really like the spray the style works. I've never been one to enjoy a series that disapkus characters as realistic, but I love when there's a pretty sunset behind everything. I really enjoy how the characters look when it comes to colours, the way the hair and eyes are drawn, the way the clothes are drawn and so on. I honestly don't mind about the style overlap tbh.

That's fine. I guess where I'm coming from is that with these super-detailed backgrounds, my eye is drawn more to the forest or the cave than it is to the characters in the foreground. For example, that scene where Ash is kneeling down to Pikachu - I can see every individual blade of grass and the flowers growing and the leaves on the tress in the distance etc. but nothing about Ash/Pikachu draws my eye to them because they seem so bland by comparison.

I realise it's weird to pick at what will obviously be a very good looking movie but as someone who was very much in support of the art change from XY to SM it's hard not to see the movie as looking a little too artificial at this age.

World Turtle

So if Ash is getting Gengar, since we're apparently getting remakes of the Kanto Gym Battles-even if only in montage form-anyone else hoping for a proper Haunter vs. Kadabra fight? Even if we only get a scene or two of it?

Harderstyle07

Battle Brain
So if Ash is getting Gengar, since we're apparently getting remakes of the Kanto Gym Battles-even if only in montage form-anyone else hoping for a proper Haunter vs. Kadabra fight? Even if we only get a scene or two of it?

Probably since they might revamp his team. Same I hoping for that too! I hope we get an epic Giovanni vs Ash gym battle. I also wonder how involved team rocket (as a whole) will be in the movie.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Gengar is just speculation for now. Apparently, butterfree and charmander are the only ones confirmed.

World Turtle

Probably since they might revamp his team. Same I hoping for that too! I hope we get an epic Giovanni vs Ash gym battle. I also wonder how involved team rocket (as a whole) will be in the movie.

I'm expecting the first part of the movie to be like a remake of the first episode followed by a montage of this A.U. Kanto featuring gym battles, captures, and evolutions before moving onto the main plot. Alongside his canon captures if we're getting Gengar I would love to see all his 'what could have been' captures. Even if it's just a few. If he gets Sandshrew should that be seen as potential foreshadowing to SM Ash getting the Alola version?

ShadowForce720

I'm expecting the first part of the movie to be like a remake of the first episode followed by a montage of this A.U. Kanto featuring gym battles, captures, and evolutions before moving onto the main plot. Alongside his canon captures if we're getting Gengar I would love to see all his 'what could have been' captures. Even if it's just a few. If he gets Sandshrew should that be seen as potential foreshadowing to SM Ash getting the Alola version?

If gets a Sandshrew in the movie then yes it might be foreshadowing that Ash will get a Alolan Sandshrew which would be a nice parallel between the two. Although of course there is no guarantee that even if he gets a Sandshrew in the movie that he would get an Alolan Sandshrew in the main anime, but it is a possibility that they could do that parallel.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Something about Ash's, Makato's and Soji's eyes is weird to me and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Weird I know and it's probably just me. But Makato seems incredibly friendly while maintaing girl aspects (due to mascara), Soji seems distant and studious and Ash seems...I dunno, bland in comparison design wise? I can't figure out the words for what emotion/personality the designers are trying to give him.

[spoil][img300]https://68.media.tumblr.com/7eae71d1eb89dd94a5ceb62c3228e31f/tumblr_oo3c3eohs61urwpefo2_1280.jpg[/img300][img300]https://68.media.tumblr.com/600c3e6676ef9a1777a41a2f39e7e25b/tumblr_oo3c3eohs61urwpefo1_1280.jpg[/img300][img300]https://68.media.tumblr.com/a8e6d600bdb681e3c9b1de17f4996ba8/tumblr_oo3c3eohs61urwpefo3_1280.jpg[/img300][/spoil]

Last edited:

Ominous Wind

I actually feel pity for those too caught up in their nostalgia to appreciate the possibilities that new companions for Ash can give us.

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
Something about Ash's, Makato's and Soji's eyes is weird to me and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Weird I know and it's probably just me. But Makato seems incredibly friendly while maintaing girl aspects (due to mascara), Soji seems distant and studious and Ash seems...I dunno, bland in comparison design wise? I can't figure out the words for what emotion/personality the designers are trying to give him.

[spoil][img300]https://68.media.tumblr.com/7eae71d1eb89dd94a5ceb62c3228e31f/tumblr_oo3c3eohs61urwpefo2_1280.jpg[/img300][img300]https://68.media.tumblr.com/600c3e6676ef9a1777a41a2f39e7e25b/tumblr_oo3c3eohs61urwpefo1_1280.jpg[/img300][img300]https://68.media.tumblr.com/a8e6d600bdb681e3c9b1de17f4996ba8/tumblr_oo3c3eohs61urwpefo3_1280.jpg[/img300][/spoil]

For me it's when Ash is staring at the screen looking down. His eyes make me feel uncomfortable XD

Status
Not open for further replies.