• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jul 15: Movie 20 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! (Dec 11: Movie 21 reveal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't putting too much stock into it due to it appearing to have Ash on his own fighting a totem, which I'm not sure is gonna happen in this movie.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
So wait, I was somewhat right when I speculated that this movie was going to be flashbacks told by Ash in SM?

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
My only problem here is ; those two characters only appearing in this movie. If they're MCs, they should appear in anime at least as long as Tracey. ( since/if this is AU versions of MCs) they would appear in anime as main-timeline versions.

( Like Kukui saying; class we have two more students and Makoto and Shoji( I think this is the name) appear saying hi.
And for next movie me wants Lillie, Mallow, Lana, Sophocles and Kiawe to appear.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
New detail that got cut off in the original scan:

The chapter ends with the words "The End". NOT "To be continued".

So I guess this is a one-shot that just told Satoshi's origin story and isn't really meant to represent the movie beyond that?

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
It could be fanservice only, to make a bridge between the movie and the anime. I seriously doubt they'll pass a chance to do a proper manga adaption exactly at the 20th anniversary.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
So wait, I was somewhat right when I speculated that this movie was going to be flashbacks told by Ash in SM?

The manga adaptation of the movie appears to set it up as a flashback told by Ash in SM, but that doesn't mean that's what the movie itself will be. It would be interesting if it were, but I'm not counting on that. Until we learn otherwise, I'm going to keep assuming this movie is just an AU of sorts.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
The manga adaptation of the movie appears to set it up as a flashback told by Ash in SM, but that doesn't mean that's what the movie itself will be. It would be interesting if it were, but I'm not counting on that. Until we learn otherwise, I'm going to keep assuming this movie is just an AU of sorts.

It's apparently not even a manga adaptation of the movie itself either, just a single chapter retelling Satoshi and Pikachu's meeting. And considering this is Kawamoto, it's probably not all that accurate to how the actual movie will portray these events either.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Aw I would have loved to see that, but I guess I'll keep my expectations low for now. I still want to see the SM art style and the older art style versions of Ash in some way.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
At least we have an adaptation of Ash having and using an exclusive Pikachu signature move.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
It's apparently not even a manga adaptation of the movie itself either, just a single chapter retelling Satoshi and Pikachu's meeting. And considering this is Kawamoto, it's probably not all that accurate to how the actual movie will portray these events either.

That seems...odd. I mean, I doubted we'd get an adaptation of the movie before it premiered anyway but that one was weird. Felt like an Alolan version of Electric Tale of Pikachu.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
That seems...odd. I mean, I doubted we'd get an adaptation of the movie before it premiered anyway but that one was weird. Felt like an Alolan version of Electric Tale of Pikachu.

Does it make more sense if I mention that it also ends with a note to "check page 108 for how to obtain Satohi's Pikachu"? It partially acts as advertisement for the event.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Does it make more sense if I mention that it also ends with a note to "check page 108 for how to obtain Satoshi's Pikachu"? It partially acts as advertisement for the event.

I kinda figured it was for something like that. Still weird, though. Hmmm, I wonder if this means movie Ash will start with a Z-Crystal. Probably not given what you said about the other one diverging but it might happen.

bossmanham

I just want to point out.

Dragon Ball is about to service their fans with an episode around Android 17. They're bringing back a character from over a decade ago that everyone loves and every fan universally loves the move.

Pokemon is about to half-assed play on people's nostalgia, but then jettison the very characters that people love and replace them with characters no one knows or cares about, retconning the originals and thereby angering a large segment of their fanbase.

One way appeals to nostalgia and delivers fanservice correctly. The other...doesn't.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
I'm just happy that all this complaining will bring back Misty and Brock.

I mean, if we complain enough, the writers will eventually listen to us and do whatever we say. Right? Isn't that right?

I mean, if we complain enough, the writers will eventually listen to us and do whatever we say. Right? Isn't that right?

(The sarcasm here is golden)

Tbh I'd rather chill with what we have than complain in the hope that someone will listen. I'd also like to see if Soji and Makoto live up to my hopes based on their personalities and designs.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
I just want to point out.

Dragon Ball is about to service their fans with an episode around Android 17. They're bringing back a character from over a decade ago that everyone loves and every fan universally loves the move.

Pokemon is about to half-assed play on people's nostalgia, but then jettison the very characters that people love and replace them with characters no one knows or cares about, retconning the originals and thereby angering a large segment of their fanbase.

One way appeals to nostalgia and delivers fanservice correctly. The other...doesn't.

Artificial Human #17 wasn't in hundreds of episodes and yet still had no personality or anything to contribute. Takeshi and Kasumi also aren't critical to the franchise, the bond between Satoshi and Pikachuu is.

Yonemura Shouji is the only writer of this film...and story decisions are not up to him, so...nope.

Red and Blue

I'm not sure if someone brought this up before, but is it possible AU Ash's companions are characters in the hypothetical DP remakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.