• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jul 15: Movie 20 - Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You! (Dec 11: Movie 21 reveal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
They used the XY art style because that's what they're used to from the past three movies, and the nod to the OS outfit and hat is what stands out the most.

I am not saying that there is nothing to reference other generations/series, but they're the kind of details that most people - especially kids - wouldn't notice. Again, aside from the ending and the lesser roles given to a few Sinnoh and Alola critters. If you want a movie with a giant ensemble of Pokemon, watch one of the XY ones.

石小百合 (Ishi'ichi Sayuri) is the chief animation supervisor and character designer for Movie #20. She held this role for the original series, Advanced Generation and did Design Draft for Diamond & Pearl. I imagine she was asked to return to the role because the movie was paying tribute to the first series and this is their weird way of doing that even though she isn't particularly outstanding at her job. The movie doesn't particularly look like Hiro'oka Toshihito's character designs for XY outside of the wonky body proportions he had.

Hoennking

A lot of western publications posting up Brock and misty not being in movie and people who watched anime in last 15 years being upset about it

This whole film sounds like a hassle more than a tribute. They trying to eat there cake and pie. Promoting as nostalgia fest without a ton of old characters but want lucario and piplup in it for merch sales I don't really get it

Anyways still gonna watch I'm not disappointed at all still super excited But people who there targeting outside of current Pokemon fans it's not gonna work I'm afraid

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
A lot of western publications posting up Brock and misty not being in movie and people who watched anime in last 15 years being upset about it

This whole film sounds like a hassle more than a tribute. They trying to eat there cake and pie. Promoting as nostalgia fest without a ton of old characters but want lucario and piplup in it for merch sales I don't really get it

Anyways still gonna watch I'm not disappointed at all still super excited But people who there targeting outside of current Pokemon fans it's not gonna work I'm afraid

Western publications are always far behind schedule when it comes to news. And are unreliable. Remember when Greninja won the most popular Pokémon contest last year? Most Western publications simply assume that Greninja's victory was due to the frog being a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Few have actually cited a more likely factor that was going on in Japan, which was that this was around the time Ash-Greninja was at the peak of its popularity.

They also have a tendency to use the Black and White images and stills instead of the latest series, such as Ash's BW design rather than XY design. And based on these publications of I Choose You, they made a critical research failure by assuming it's a retelling of the Indigo League instead of an original story surrounding the Ho-Oh.

So yeah, I don't put much stock into western publications. In fact, I'm disappointed that they didn't try to do a better job of researching and presenting the movie considering how easy it is to do a web search.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Western publications are always far behind schedule when it comes to news. And are unreliable. Remember when Greninja won the most popular Pokémon contest last year? Most Western publications simply assume that Greninja's victory was due to the frog being a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Few have actually cited a more likely factor that was going on in Japan, which was that this was around the time Ash-Greninja was at the peak of its popularity.

They also have a tendency to use the Black and White images and stills instead of the latest series, such as Ash's BW design rather than XY design. And based on these publications of I Choose You, they made a critical research failure by assuming it's a retelling of the Indigo League instead of an original story surrounding the Ho-Oh.

So yeah, I don't put much stock into western publications. In fact, I'm disappointed that they didn't try to do a better job of researching and presenting the movie considering how easy it is to do a web search.

Same here.

I still remember back in the day I was out of touch with the franchise. I've seen an article in an anime magazine talking about AG. The article had said the reason Ash didn't bring his older Pokémon to Hoenn besides Pikachu was to preserve the region's enviroment lol

Have we heard Marshadow's voice in any of the trailers or clips yet?

Very quickly in a clip that only lasted a couple of seconds, while it was using a move. It sounded like it was going "pi-pi-pi-pi-pi-pi" if you really wanna know.

Kein

AKA Silktree
石小百合 (Ishi'ichi Sayuri) is the chief animation supervisor and character designer for Movie #20. She held this role for the original series, Advanced Generation and did Design Draft for Diamond & Pearl. I imagine she was asked to return to the role because the movie was paying tribute to the first series and this is their weird way of doing that even though she isn't particularly outstanding at her job. The movie doesn't particularly look like Hiro'oka Toshihito's character designs for XY outside of the wonky body proportions he had.
Um, that's weird when you look at Makoto's moe design and Soji's look as a generic pretty boy. Not really what you'd expect from the original series or AG.

Too bad that Fatchu isn't back. It is so much more adorable than vanilla Pikachu.

Last edited:

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Um, that's weird when you look at Makoto's moe design and Soji's look as a generic pretty boy. Not really what you'd expect from the original series or AG.

Too bad that Fatchu isn't back. It is so much more adorable than vanilla Pikachu.

Art style change over time, as evidenced by how her designs changed between the first, second and third series. It's also possible that Yuyama wanted an intentionally different look.

I do wish Nakano and Yasuda had done the designs for the movie. If the looseness and creativity of the television series had been allowed the film would've been so much more fun and warm looking.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.

It's not like the OS designs weren't anything generic or plain and style changes over time. AG had much better taste in clothing for the main characters.

Kein

AKA Silktree
I am not talking about clothes (although the only OS attire that is arguably generic is Misty's). It's the faces that bother me; I can only assume that Sugimori wasn't involved, even though he's designed a lot of movie characters over the years.

Last edited:

SinnohEevee

Is there any official source that states this movie is an AU? A lot of new fans may think this is the original story. SM doesn't help with its lack of continuity and the mess that was SM20.

blob

It's AU, so it shouldn't that surprising that there are different characters here rather then having Misty and Brock, just because they were Ash traveling companions in the original series does not mean that they would be his traveling companions in every single AU as that wouldn't make any sense. The whole purpose of a AU is that while in some instances it may be similar to the universe your use to, it is also different. So basically in the movie 20 universe it must mean that some of the events that led to Ash meeting Misty and Brock and them choosing to travel with him didn't happen.

Actually, it doesn't make any sense for the protagonists to be different, because other AUs/reboots of shows and movie usually keep all/most the main characters the same:

MCU (Most Avengers are the same)
TMNT (Sometimes ages differ and Splinter isn't always a rat originally)
DCU (Although it's the start)
Archie Sonic (Reboot kept the main characters)
Dragon Ball (Alternate timelines/AUs have a lot of the same characters, though others die sooner or weren't born at all, due to one or both of their parents dying)

http://pokeshipping.tumblr.com/post/162867585432/pkmncoordinators-pokeshipping (Language in link)
ooh boy, i cant see this going down well with the old school fans XP

So the movie is pretty much only for Ash and Pikachu fans.

I REALLY wish they had advertised the movie as that, instead of for oldschool fans in general.

Last edited:

Hoennking

Yeah it's really time for the director to call it quits. He doesn't know pulse of Pokemon fans anymore. Also his ideas are all over the place.

Sucks that's gonna take another Pokemon film underperforming to do it

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Actually, it doesn't make any sense for the protagonists to be different, because other AUs/reboots of shows and movie usually keep all/most the main characters the same:

MCU (Most Avengers are the same)
TMNT (Sometimes ages differ and Splinter isn't always a rat originally)
DCU (Although it's the start)
Archie Sonic (Reboot kept the main characters)
Dragon Ball (Alternate timelines/AUs have a lot of the same characters, though others die sooner or weren't born at all, due to one or both of their parents dying)

So the movie is pretty much only for Ash and Pikachu fans.

I REALLY wish they had advertised the movie as that, instead of for oldschool fans in general.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe had cut off some of the characters or postpone others due to copyright issues or simply simplifying the narrative. Take Spider-Man Homecoming for example. Peter Parker's classmates are not from the comics or are in-name-only characters. Parker's character is still the same, but he clearly lives in a different universe compare to his mainstream counterpart.

Oh, and let's be honest about the advertisements. They have always aimed for the Ash and Pikachu fans. From the very beginning. Why else was it called "I Choose You" instead of say, the Indigo League or Kanto Adventure? Because "I Choose You" focuses on only two characters, Ash and Pikachu.

Yeah it's really time for the director to call it quits. He doesn't know pulse of Pokemon fans anymore. Also his ideas are all over the place.

Sucks that's gonna take another Pokemon film underperforming to do it

... What?

I need elaboration.

Status
Not open for further replies.