• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

July 12th: M22- Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution (July 16: Supportive screening)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member

Kein

AKA Silktree
I don't know if Dogasu is exaggerating a little bit here but it seems like Shudo wasn't entirely happy with how the third movie turned out and would have liked a different ending. I think this implies that he also thought Molly's grief wasn't portrayed in a realistic way. My guess is that Molly misunderstood the situation but how often does that happen in real life?

I think the first movie is a little bit better at portraying grief/death despite its messy plot. The dead characters stay dead unlike in the third movie (except for Satoshi :rolleyes:). However Fuji's eventual fate is a bit dark for Pokémon since the target audience are younger kids. Mabye it would have been more comforting to any kids who might be dealing with grief themselves if Fuji (and Molly) had dealt with grief in a more healthy way?

Which movie handled the subject better is subjective of course since people deal with grief in different ways. Even if both movies could be better I think there are a lot of thought provoking themes in both of them. Kind of a shame that this got lost between the lines even if I can also understand the decision.
The page only says that Shudo wasn't happy about the cameo in the credits, which is a minor detail compared to the actual ending. My interpretation is that the circumstances behind the movie (his stress and almost dying) bothered him more than the movie itself, and he might not have felt appreciated by Yuyama and Sonoda.

If you forget about the credits, then I don't see a problem with how Molly's grief was handled. One could argue that the Unown separated her from her dad to hone into her fantasy. He was always supposed to come back.

No doubt Movie 1 is a sadder story if you include the radio drama. Even Mewtwo was never seen to be happy.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
The one thing I’m most interested in with this movie is whether they keep the “Brother My Brother” song in the dub, or at least a remixed version of it..

That song actually broke so many of us in the cinema when I was a child..

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
The one thing I’m most interested in with this movie is whether they keep the “Brother My Brother” song in the dub, or at least a remixed version of it..

What .....i never heard of it as it never was playing in Canada

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
What .....i never heard of it as it never was playing in Canada
During the big battle scene there was a song playing while Ash was looking over at all of the Pokémon and clones fighting, which was called (I think) “Brother, my brother”. It’d be a shame if that was missed out from the dub this time around, since it’s just a great song really, in my opinion..

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
During the big battle scene there was a song playing while Ash was looking over at all of the Pokémon and clones fighting, which was called (I think) “Brother, my brother”. It’d be a shame if that was missed out from the dub this time around, since it’s just a great song really, in my opinion..
I'm really afraid what soundtracks the dub will use in this movie in general; I'm expecting mostly generic TPCI soundtracks. Hopefully they'll just use the original Japanese soundtrack again.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

Y'know, it was kind of a silly placement song, but the message was definitely there. It'd probably fit a little closer to the original script, but the cinematography has changed, so they'll have to do a remix if they want to use it to better effect. But I don't see TPCi doing that because getting rights for songs is messy; 4KIDS was only able to do it because I think the song was recorded for the movie itself, but if not, Blessid Union of Souls was under the Atlantic Records label, which was a Warner Bros. subsidiary at the time, and the song may have been a last-minute addition. It couldn't have come at a better time as in just two years after the song was recorded, due to how well the movie soundtrack sold, it got included in their "Greatest Hits" release in 2001.

I've been wondering about what the surround sound will be like, Mewtwo's voice effect was done in a way to take advantage of surround sound, but I only have snippets of memory of the theater experience at this point, and unfortunately memories of the surround sound is sparse (and I don't have surround sound speakers lol). But I recall it echoing around the room in some parts such as when Giovanni confronts him after the lab is destroyed. With headphones you can kinda get an idea of what it was like, but it's a different experience in the theater. Who knows if TPCi will be able to replicate that or put in their own little twist.

AshSerena

https://mobile.twitter.com/DBSChronicles/status/1150256809493405696

Apparently this is screenshot of the teaser shown at the end of Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution for the movie next year

The artstyle used here for Pikachu is from the SM anime, but who knows if it is any indication of the artstyle for next year's movie or the upcoming SwSh anime.

I'm not sure why people keep saying Pikachu art style here is like from the SM anime, It looks the same to me BW/XY/SM etc
If is a person (for example Satoshi) It is easy to predict the art style.

JC317

Of course it doesn't mean anything. It's just a bumper telling you there's a new movie next year.

Just like how last year's bumper which featured Mewtwo in CGI meant nothing, right?

To clarify, I'm not disagreeing with what you said, I'm just saying that the artstyle used for the bumper can also allow for speculation.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Just like how last year's bumper which featured Mewtwo in CGI meant nothing, right?

To clarify, I'm not disagreeing with what you said, I'm just saying that the artstyle used for the bumper can also allow for speculation.

Ignoring the fact that that was actually an announcement of the movie rather than a bumper and that's there's considerable difference between "short clip of CG Mewtwo" and "short clip of 2D animated Pikachu" for a moment...
What kind of speculation does this even allow for? Do you actually think they intended for this short clip of Pikachu to be speculated about? You said yourself that "who knows if it is any indication of anything", so you seem to agree that there's not really that much ground for speculation here.

(it should also be pointed out that the 2020 movie hasn't even entered the planning phase yet. These bumpers are made way in advance of any actual work being done on the movie)

Status
Not open for further replies.