1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

July 12th: M22- Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution (July 16: Supportive screening)

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Dephender, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Dephender

Dephender Gizakawayusu Staff Member Moderator

2. Redstar45

Redstar45 A POCKET MONSTERS & DIGITAL MONSTERS Fan !

No

3. Leonhart

Leonhart Well-Known Member

I was fortunate enough to see the movie myself, and it was pretty good for a rehash. It was a different experience since I knew exactly what to expect from this movie compared to previous ones which always had surprises, but I think that's what made this movie so likable. For once I could enjoy a Pokemon movie without needing to keep up with every single bit of pre-release info beforehand.

No, and I question why some people actually expected this. I remember reading theories and scenarios that people came up with for how Mew could showcase that Z-Move months ago, which never really made sense to me given that this movie was always shown to be pretty faithful to the original Mewtwo movie just judging by the trailers that we got up to the movie's premiere. And I'm glad that the movie wasn't used as a way to promote the latest games since that would've ruined some of the nostalgia pandering that this movie was going for.

MockingJ likes this.
  4. Sonnas

Sonnas Well-Known Member

So there wasn’t any differences between this and the original story aside from some that are minor?

5. Leonhart

Leonhart Well-Known Member

Pretty much all of the changes were minor and were covered in other movie reviews that I've seen, so I won't go into detail. But I did notice that the movie had really distracting camera angles and zoom-ins during certain scenes, which I found slightly unappealing. There's only so many reaction shots that I can tolerate before it becomes irksome.

6. Dephender

Dephender Gizakawayusu Staff Member Moderator

7. Missingno. Master

Missingno. Master Poison-type Trainer

Did Weezing still appear as the one who got Team Rocket to New Island?

8. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie "It is my destiny."

I'm going to guess that's why the Viking longboat was changed into a swan... Lapras boat.

9. Yce288

Yce288 Grass type FTW

Taken from Bulbapedia:
    • Mewtwo's armor has a different design, and can also act as a restraint should it rebel. Giovanni attempts and fails to utilize this feature before Mewtwo escapes the Team Rocket base.
    • Raymond's Golem is replaced by a Drowzee, in the process eliminating the error present in Mewtwo Strikes Back, where Pikachu manages to knock out the part Ground-type with a Thunderbolt.
    • While Mewtwo observes Ash's battle with Raymond, Nurse Joy delivers some exposition about Misty and Brock.
    • Ash's Charizard lets itself out of its Poké Ball and tries to battle Dragonite when it lands.
    • Team Rocket attempts to take Ash and his friends to New Island in a Lapras-shaped sailboat, with the Viking motif being eliminated entirely. Team Rocket also sing a song during this scene.
    • Brock tries to flirt with Neesha, which he doesn't do in Mewtwo Strikes Back.
    • The ending credits now feature paintings of Ash and his friends in different areas.
    • A Generation III Pokémon, Wingull, appears in the movie's ending credits.
    • The post-credits scene, which was previously a shot of Mew flying off into the mountains, now shows Mewtwo and the clones flying toward Mount Quena, foreshadowing Mewtwo Returns.

Blood Red likes this.
  10. Kutie Pie

Lmao how would she know about Brock and Misty lol. That's funny.

Beautiful.

If they were going to sing anyway, they still could've kept the Viking motif.

*chef's kiss* That's perfect.

11. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

Why Wingull of all Pokemon? Seems kind of random

12. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Eh... at least it's not Alola Pokemon shoehorned into Kanto's plot for some bizarre reason again
    Wingull's can technically exist everywhere so their appearance is acceptable

Emelie likes this.
  13. Kutie Pie

At least Wingull wouldn't seem so out-of-place.

Ash: "The day of my journey, I saw a really rare Pokémon. And just now, I thought I saw another."
    Misty: "Well, maybe you're just seeing things, Ash."
    *camera pulls back to show a baby Lugia preening itself on the dock*

14. Sonnas

Sonnas Well-Known Member

I’m guessing they did that for the few people who don’t know who they are?

15. Lord Starfish

Lord Starfish Fond of owls

Presumably because, in the original movie, Voyager made a reference to the "seagulls of the wharf", which was supposedly changed to "the Wingull of the wharf" in the remake (a logical change; If they have a Pokémon that's perfectly analogous to the real-life seagull, why wouldn't they reference it in this scene in place of actual seagulls, which probably don't even exist in this universe?), and so since they're mentioned in the movie anyway they might as well show some?

Redstar45 likes this.
  16. NPT

NPT Just a member

Wasn't expecting the M22 OST album to have remixed BW/XY/SM tracks... but hey, I'm not complaining.

This one in particular is my favorite.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  17. Kutie Pie

Apparently there was copyright reasons behind it? I dunno, just a claim I saw someone comment about.

The soundtrack is... I dunno how I feel about it without the visuals, which I think is a shame since music should stand out without having to need the visuals to accompany it. It's nice they remixed/revised older tracks, but I'm most disappointed in them toning down the organ in the new "Arashi no Yokiza" track. Actually, I think the organ was subdued throughout the OST in general, it doesn't have the same power behind it like in the original. Mew's flute theme still has the same quiet power, but why tone down Mewtwo's organ?

But the new "Inochi Aru Mono" is quite beautiful. That honestly caught me off-guard when I was having an otherwise apathetic approach toward the OST.

18. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger Superancient Member

I doubt it's a copyright issue. M01 already had many remixed tracks from the OS anime, which were themselves adaptions of the game tracks. All of the rights were already owned by OLM/SMG, and we saw new remixes of the OS anime in M20.

I think it's a creative decision, both due to the standout tracks from BW/XY/SM and to better tie in with recent anime. When M01 debut, there was only a year's worth of music to pull for the movie, versus 20+ years today. There were less options available to score the screenplay.

19. NPT

NPT Just a member

Not really. Movie 1 had only two remixed tracks from the anime... the unreleased Kanto Route 1 remix and a remix of 1997~1998-M14 (Rocket-Powered Disaster). Rest were specifically composed for the movie.