• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

July 12th: M22- Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution (July 16: Supportive screening)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
Is there a place where you can get the Limited Edition music collection for the movie in the U.S.? I've been looking for a way to get the Epic Battle: Who's Stronger movie version and the limited edition seems to be the only CD that has it.

sandtreamftw

On and Off Trainer
Of some of the tracks they did reused, I really like the new rendition of Miracle Tears and Enter Mewtwo, just to name a few. I wish they'd reworked some of the classic older tunes, though, but not a big deal.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
One quetion for whoever watched this movie, was it total copy f first movie or there was something different and did the companions contributed something or they were just standing there like in first movie.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
One quetion for whoever watched this movie, was it total copy f first movie or there was something different and did the companions contributed something or they were just standing there like in first movie.
It is mostly just same as first pocket monsters movie and while there are few small different...it is not a big deal sorry.

Yce288

Grass type FTW
There were some different things which i already posted before, but since Bulbapedia added some more i'll write them again with the added ones:
  • Mewtwo's armor has a different design, and can also act as a restraint should it rebel. Giovanni attempts and fails to utilize this feature before Mewtwo escapes the Team Rocket HQ.
  • Giovanni wears a black suit in this movie, instead of the orange suit he wore until the Best Wishes series.
  • Raymond's Golem is replaced by a Drowzee, in the process eliminating the error present in Mewtwo Strikes Back, where Pikachu manages to knock out the part Ground-type with a Thunderbolt.
  • While Mewtwo observes Ash's battle with Raymond, Nurse Joy delivers some exposition about Misty and Brock.
  • Ash's Charizard lets itself out of its Poké Ball and tries to battle Dragonite when it lands.
  • Team Rocket attempts to take Ash and his friends to New Island in a Lapras-shaped sailboat, with the Viking motif being eliminated entirely. Team Rocket also sing a song during this scene.
  • Brock tries to flirt with Neesha, which he doesn't do in Mewtwo Strikes Back.
  • When Ash is petrified during the movie's climax, he turns to black stone instead of gray rock.
  • The ending credits now feature paintings of Ash and his friends in different areas.
  • A Generation III Pokémon, Wingull, appears in the movie's ending credits.
    • Miranda also mentions Wingull earlier in the movie. This is an alteration of an existing line in the Japanese version of Mewtwo Strikes Back, where she refers to regular seagulls instead.
  • The post-credits scene, which was previously a shot of Mew flying off into the mountains, now shows Mewtwo and the clones flying toward Mount Quena, foreshadowing Mewtwo Returns.
  • Some of the music featured in the movie is remixed from preceding movies, including Black—Victini and Reshiram, Genesect and the Legend Awakened (which also starred a Mewtwo), Hoopa and the Clash of Ages, and Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I don't know where IMDB got the information from, but apparently the U.S. release date is November 17th, exactly a week later from the November 10th release of 1999. I just find that pretty hilarious, although if it was going to be released on a Sunday anyway, they could've gone that extra mile and just released it exactly on the 10th lol. I also saw listed in the crew section that Lisa Ortiz will be voice director, and the thanks section lists Ralph Schuckett and John Loeffler as well as Norman J. Grossfeld, though that might not mean anything. Still, interesting.

No word yet on Mewtwo's dub actor, but Fergus is listed for Carter Cathcart since, well, he did the role before and he's still involved with the dub, so he probably reprised the role. I wish IMDB would cite sources, though.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Do we know if the OST from this movie will be used in the anime? Surprisingly, Movie 20 and 21's soundtrack hasn't been used at all in the anime.
Movie 20's has been used plenty. Heck, the Alola League has been outright spamming "A Heated Fire Showdown" aka the remix of the Regi battle music. Movie 21's hasn't been used yet, but I imagine we'll start hearing it soon. For some reason they seem to wait for more than a year between releasing a movie's OST and using it in the show... Maybe so as to keep said music uniquely tied to the movie for a while?

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
Movie 20's has been used plenty. Heck, the Alola League has been outright spamming "A Heated Fire Showdown" aka the remix of the Regi battle music. Movie 21's hasn't been used yet, but I imagine we'll start hearing it soon. For some reason they seem to wait for more than a year between releasing a movie's OST and using it in the show... Maybe so as to keep said music uniquely tied to the movie for a while?

Interesting that they would use that soundtrack, but not other one's from the movie. Especially meeting and parting or tears after a cloudy weather.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Interesting that they would use that soundtrack, but not other one's from the movie. Especially meeting and parting or tears after a cloudy weather.
Oh, they've used other tracks too. Like Pikachu VS Ho-Oh (you know... the Pokémon main theme?) for Zeraora's appearance in episode 100, or Ho-Oh Descends during the climax of 108... But yeah, somehow both those tracks you mentioned have yet to appear in the show. Would not be surprised to hear Meetings and Partings (Well, the M20 version is technically called Each to Their Own Way but... details) in the final episode though.

isonademnemosyne

So a few details on the home release of the movie just got revealed.

"Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution" comes out on Blu-ray & DVD in Japan on December 18th.

Limited Edition Blu-ray: 6,480 JPY
Regular Blu-ray: 4,980 JPY
Regular DVD: 3,980 JPY (all prices are before sales tax)"

I actually got the chance to talk to one of the animators who worked on the movie. I asked him if he knew why Ambertwo/Aitwo was cut from the film and if there was any chance if she could appear in the home release. He replied by saying his role in the movie was quite small so he wasn't informed the reason why she was excluded from the movie but would be very surprised if she did appeared in the home release.

I was hoping for the full version of Mewtwo's origin to have been animated in CG but was cut later in production and planned to be added later. Sadly based on the response I got that doesn't look to be the case and it also doesn't look like there are any current plans to get the animation team back together just to recreate a 10-minute long prologue.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Apparently Fathom Events has no plans on releasing it to theaters, so it may air on Disney XD.
b87eb1d1c375a0f8516355c20b51071ea00075e8.png

Dogasu of all people is baffled by this--and I agree.
3a2c771e98a8d6a7ef54a97a1eee5be718408fc3.png

If the date on IMDB is correct, we should be having news about it soon, but the dead air is interesting.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
That's not baffling at all. After the "failure" of Detective Pikachu, I imagine we've seen the end of theatrical Pokemon for some time.

Detective Pikachu was backed by an actual important movie company; the same that made a Godzilla movie.

TPCI has to sacrifice a lot just to let an anime movie air for a week or so, unlike in Japan, where Pokemon is part of their culture and gives them an easy pass to anything and anywhere.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Detective Pikachu
- Box Office: $431.6 million
- Budget: $150 million

Everyone's Story
- Box Office: $25.4 million
- Budget: $45 million

What a time to be alive, where a multi-million grossing movie is considered a failure

Detective Pikachu was backed by an actual important movie company; the same that made a Godzilla movie.
Other way 'round, actually, since DP came out before KotM

Status
Not open for further replies.