• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

July 12th: M22- Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution (July 16: Supportive screening)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
There's one more thing that I didn't realize about the new version of the movie. This version started with the part of "Mewtwo: The Origin", where we saw how they found the fossil of Mew's DNA. However, Fuji's plot about using his experiments to bring back his daughter Amber was all skipped. Did they decide that human's clonation in this anime is too violent to be shown now?
I think it’s more because of how extremely depressing the dying scene is.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Eddieursa said:
More than seeing how Mewtwo blow up the lab, killing all the scientist that were there?

I think that the scientists dying was kept because it was only implied rather than shown in a graphic way, and because we were meant to believe that they were selfish people who only viewed Mewtwo as an experiment, whereas showing a little girl pass away might've crossed a line even if she was just an artificially made consciousness in the original movie. Anything involving children dying is usually frowned upon.

Sonnas

I want to know is what do people think of the minor changes they made in the movie? (Like Charizard being with the gang when Dragonite appears, or Brock hitting on that girl trainer?)

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I want to know is what do people think of the minor changes they made in the movie? (Like Charizard being with the gang when Dragonite appears, or Brock hitting on that girl trainer?)
I liked them, gave more info to the people who never watched the earlier anime as to how their characters were.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Brock hitting on Neesha I think was a nice touch since it was missing from the original for whatever reason. I don't have the movie novelization on hand to check, but I don't think he flirted with her in it, either?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sonnas said:

I didn't mind some of the changes, although I disliked Takeshi's added scene with Sweet. While it was entirely within his character to flirt openly with her, I thought it added a comedic element that wasn't appropriate in this movie given the somewhat dark tone of the story.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters

They were alright but nothing that would make me choose to rewatch it over the original. I just feel like the time would have been better spent giving Mewtwo a third appearance, and showcasing X along with it. But hey maybe there's a good chance than there used to be now that newer and younger fans know of him

I do like Mewtwo's armor more in this than the original though, even bought it for my figure collection

Eddieursa

Marsh Trainer
I think that the scientists dying was kept because it was only implied rather than shown in a graphic way, and because we were meant to believe that they were selfish people who only viewed Mewtwo as an experiment, whereas showing a little girl pass away might've crossed a line even if she was just an artificially made consciousness in the original movie. Anything involving children dying is usually frowned upon.

And what about when Ash "dies" by the impact of Mewtwo and Mew's powers? We saw him turned into stone, but we can still assume Ash died. And the same happened on Movie 20, when Ash's body disappeared, leaving only his cap with Pikachu.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Eddieursa said:
And what about when Ash "dies" by the impact of Mewtwo and Mew's powers? We saw him turned into stone, but we can still assume Ash died. And the same happened on Movie 20, when Ash's body disappeared, leaving only his cap with Pikachu.

From what I recall, he was petrified by the attacks, but not outwardly stated in the movies to have died. You could argue that it was at least implied, but in either case given that he was fine after the Pokemon cried for him, no real harm was done, so that scene wasn't taboo.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
From what I recall, he was petrified by the attacks, but not outwardly stated in the movies to have died. You could argue that it was at least implied, but in either case given that he was fine after the Pokemon cried for him, no real harm was done, so that scene wasn't taboo.

Yeah, that's the big difference. Ash came back to life, but Amber's dead forever and it traumatized Mewtwo. Pikachu's trauma seemed to not matter as a result.

I am still disappointed they didn't just go all the way after including the Amazon sequence. It was one thing when it was released on VHS out here in the States, and it didn't change much and no kid questioned it, but the dub also had a different script on top of changing Mewtwo's character a little bit so that Amber's inclusion was more of a bonus. But she's still an important piece of the puzzle to Mewtwo, and removing her takes away that crucial part of his character and why he acts the way he does. Hell, they could've changed things up a bit with her if they were so afraid of showing a child dying; maybe she just moves out of the blue (parents divorce 'cause the father's too married to his job) and couldn't tell Mewtwo where she went. So he still develops abandonment issues on top of trust issues (so Giovanni lying to him/using him would trigger those memories), but not because he watched someone die in front of him and overhear the father ramble about trying again.

Came up with that in just one minute. It's a significant change, but it can still work without traumatizing the kiddies and moral guardians.

They were alright but nothing that would make me choose to rewatch it over the original. I just feel like the time would have been better spent giving Mewtwo a third appearance, and showcasing X along with it. But hey maybe there's a good chance than there used to be now that newer and younger fans know of him

I do like Mewtwo's armor more in this than the original though, even bought it for my figure collection
I wished I could like this post ten times. I really want to see this (MSB) Mewtwo again. We haven't had an update on him in 20 years. Hopefully, I get to see him again before I get sicker. I hope you are right. I really do.

Do any Japanese fans even bring up his long absence to the creative minds behind Pokemon? I wished I wasn't just learning Hiragana because I'd try to find some way to contact them. Obviously politely.

I have it in my head, since both Mewtwo forms were shown (Mega Evolution Special Intro) and that there are two Mewtwos (that we know of) and one already as Y that MSB Mewtwo has X. I also headcanon that he's a crime fighting vigilante what with the cape and all. I want to see what he's been up to.

Edit: As for Ambertwo/Aitwo part not appearing, I don't think that it necessarily means it never happened or it was recon. In the US we didn't know it existed at all until Mewtwo Returns where it was added as a bonus. That said, they should leave all of Mewtwo's story in. Another reason I wished I could ask them questions.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Honestly, the CGi wasn't enough for me to watch something I've seen already.

I was really dissapointed finding out it was a straight remake rather than just the AU version of it. At least with AU!Ash could have made the movie feel slightly different

(also helps I have a grudge against misty/brock but I won't go into detail in that part)

I wished I wasn't just learning Hiragana because I'd try to find some way to contact them. Obviously politely.

Don't feel down.

I know what you are feeling because I've passed through that point (currently, I've memorized both Hiragana and Katakana) and I'm currently learning Kanji. Once you reach that point, keep your focus, don't give up and always think it's a long-term thing (I think of it as 10 year plan).

Also, if you are learning Hiragana, it's quite good cause you are taking that very important first step. As the saying goes "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

Honestly, the CGi wasn't enough for me to watch something I've seen already.

I was really dissapointed finding out it was a straight remake rather than just the AU version of it. At least with AU!Ash could have made the movie feel slightly different

(also helps I have a grudge against misty/brock but I won't go into detail in that part)

Don't feel down.

I know what you are feeling because I've passed through that point (currently, I've memorized both Hiragana and Katakana) and I'm currently learning Kanji. Once you reach that point, keep your focus, don't give up and always think it's a long-term thing (I think of it as 10 year plan).

Also, if you are learning Hiragana, it's quite good cause you are taking that very important first step. As the saying goes "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"
I'm glad it was a remake because I hate AU movies. I just want to see MSB Mewtwo's story continue and end happily. Poor thing deserves happiness.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Sometimes I feel like the staff had decided that the next step to Mewtwo's story would be he teaming up with Ash as in, become his pokémon. But since that'd make Ash too OP, they'd store it for whenever they want to finish the anime.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Sometimes I feel like the staff had decided that the next step to Mewtwo's story would be he teaming up with Ash as in, become his pokémon. But since that'd make Ash too OP, they'd store it for whenever they want to finish the anime.
People wouldn't ever stomach if they ever saw Mewtwo being used by Ash.

Let alone lose in a battle. And then they would be livid if he didn't snap his neck in two afterwards.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters

Well that'd certainly put an end to the "Ash's most powerful Pokemon" discussion.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I'm glad it was a remake because I hate AU movies. I just want to see MSB Mewtwo's story continue and end happily. Poor thing deserves happiness.

Technically his story has a happy ending. Yes, he's alone again after letting his clones live out their lives how they want, and he still doesn't know his purpose in the world, but he's no longer being hunted down by Giovanni, he has entrusted his existence's secret to a select few for changing his mind, and he gets to live out in the world. He's living independently how he wishes, which was what he was advocating for from the start.

Mewtwo also doesn't seem to hate humans as much since he's choosing to observe them from afar. While I do believe they missed a golden opportunity to bring his story full-circle back in 2013, he's doing just fine. Happiness is best earned, not given.

Status
Not open for further replies.