• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

July 12th: M22- Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution (July 16: Supportive screening)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Spider-Phoenix said:
I was really dissapointed finding out it was a straight remake rather than just the AU version of it. At least with AU!Ash could have made the movie feel slightly different

Given that this movie changed a few things around from the first movie [and the fact that this one was done in CGI], I personally consider it to be a AU movie. Obviously not set in the same universe as the 20th and 21st movies, but I don't count it as part of the chief continuity that the rest of the main anime is set in.

Given that this movie changed a few things around from the first movie [and the fact that this one was done in CGI], I personally consider it to be a AU movie. Obviously not set in the same universe as the 20th and 21st movies, but I don't count it as part of the chief continuity that the rest of the main anime is set in.

Except that it most definitely isn't AU movie. They modernized the armor and fixed a couple of small problems. The story is 100 percent the same and does not deviate besides little touch ups.

Technically his story has a happy ending. Yes, he's alone again after letting his clones live out their lives how they want, and he still doesn't know his purpose in the world, but he's no longer being hunted down by Giovanni, he has entrusted his existence's secret to a select few for changing his mind, and he gets to live out in the world. He's living independently how he wishes, which was what he was advocating for from the start.

Mewtwo also doesn't seem to hate humans as much since he's choosing to observe them from afar. While I do believe they missed a golden opportunity to bring his story full-circle back in 2013, he's doing just fine. Happiness is best earned, not given.

It just makes me really sad to think that we'll never see him again. Like I said, I'd be happy with just a cameo of him watching Ash and Go from afar. That's the the least of what I am asking. Though, I still don't think his story is over and would like to see him find a purpose. His story still feels unfinished, like it's missing something to bring it full circle. I just want to see him appear one last time.

He's certainly earned happiness, in my opinion. He went through misery and loneliness his entire life.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
It just makes me really sad to think that we'll never see him again. Like I said, I'd be happy with just a cameo of him watching Ash and Go from afar. That's the the least of what I am asking. Though, I still don't think his story is over and would like to see him find a purpose. His story still feels unfinished, like it's missing something to bring it full circle. I just want to see him appear one last time.

He's certainly earned happiness, in my opinion. He went through misery and loneliness his entire life.

Honestly am not sure if the writers will ever bring him back. This might've just been a one-time thing for the 20th anniversary, although I wonder if Shudo had a feeling they were going to milk him dry and thus got the rights to the character ('cause anime Mewtwo's really different from other incarnations) to hold onto or something. I dunno.

Just write/read fan fiction to fill that missing gap. It's what I do lol.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Pokecatgirl said:
Except that it most definitely isn't AU movie. They modernized the armor and fixed a couple of small problems. The story is 100 percent the same and does not deviate besides little touch ups.

It isn't 100% the same, though. You already mentioned there being touch ups done here and there, and the fact that some parts were changed or removed altogether, such as the exclusion of the Ai storyline, means that the story has a slightly different continuity.

Honestly am not sure if the writers will ever bring him back. This might've just been a one-time thing for the 20th anniversary, although I wonder if Shudo had a feeling they were going to milk him dry and thus got the rights to the character ('cause anime Mewtwo's really different from other incarnations) to hold onto or something. I dunno.

I'm still going to hope. It's all have for Pokemon anymore.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

I can see Shudo having some claim/rights to the script but the character? I dunno, I have my doubts.

Maybe it's the staff consciously deciding it wouldn't be interesting to use Mewtwo again because they feel they wouldn't do it justice or they just think that the events of Returns was a good closure

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I can see Shudo having some claim/rights to the script but the character? I dunno, I have my doubts.

PokéBeach's web master got a confirmation that they couldn't use the original Mewtwo in the 16th movie because of rights issues, but I don't know if they were hoping to rely on a backstory to use him or what that they couldn't have him in the movie.

Before the film started, I spotted Hidenaga Katakami, one of the producers of the film (he also was a producer on Detective Pikachu). I called him over and asked him a bunch of questions since there were no interview opportunities. He revealed to me that The Pokemon Company had to get the rights to the movie from Takeshi Shudo’s estate (the original writer of the film). I also asked him if this is why the Mewtwo in the Genesect movie was different (to legally distinguish it from his). He said yes, thus confirming my long-standing theory!

So I dunno, it's weird.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Kutie Pie said:
PokéBeach's web master got a confirmation that they couldn't use the original Mewtwo in the 16th movie because of rights issues, but I don't know if they were hoping to rely on a backstory to use him or what that they couldn't have him in the movie.

So I dunno, it's weird.

Well, at least that settles one mystery. I always thought that Mr. Yuyama's comment about the introduction of the new Mewtwo in the 16th movie sounded rather odd since he made it seem like it was an idea that he thought suited the story better [without really explaining his thought process], so at least now we know that there was actually a rights issue that prevented the first movie's Mewtwo's return. At least that wasn't an issue with this remake of the first movie.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

Thanks for the information, Kutie Pie!

Man, it's really weird M1 Mewtwo as a character would have part of its rights belonging to Shudo. I guess that has to do with the franchise being in its infancy and since OLM just thought it'd be fine. For some reason, it reminds me a bit of William Moulton Marston creating Wonder Woman for DC but having a deal stabilishing that if the publisher doesn't release new books with her, the rights revert to him.

Anyway, that explains why it's a straight remake not a retelling set in the AU.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I like to imagine Shudo did it behind OLM's back (specifically Yuyama's) out of revenge/pettiness for them keeping a leash on him by not letting him write Team Rocket how he wanted. "I gave you Minky Momo and you loved me for it. Why won't you let me work my magic and make Pokémon (Roketto-dan) just as awesome?!" Who knows the reason behind it, really, he took the answer to his grave, and I think OLM didn't know about it until they were making the 16th movie.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
I like to imagine Shudo did it behind OLM's back (specifically Yuyama's) out of revenge/pettiness for them keeping a leash on him by not letting him write Team Rocket how he wanted. "I gave you Minky Momo and you loved me for it. Why won't you let me work my magic and make Pokémon (Roketto-dan) just as awesome?!" Who knows the reason behind it, really, he took the answer to his grave, and I think OLM didn't know about it until they were making the 16th movie.
That so wrong on the both of olm and Shudõ-San (if that petty theory is true)....mewtwo is part of Satoshi talj's creations if anything else that was his toy they were pay to play with it ....do he knew about that?

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

Kind of strange he'd get something such as the rights to a certain version of the character behind OLM's back. I really wonder how things come to a point where he did get the rights.

But that kind of explains why OLM is so protective of the anime's brand and visuals. I mean, aside from Ash's hats, we've yet to see Ash actually show in a game. Even DeNA said the Pokémon Masters game is focused on game characters (though I think the reason they don't use anime stuff is because of rights)

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Kind of strange he'd get something such as the rights to a certain version of the character behind OLM's back. I really wonder how things come to a point where he did get the rights.

But that kind of explains why OLM is so protective of the anime's brand and visuals. I mean, aside from Ash's hats, we've yet to see Ash actually show in a game. Even DeNA said the Pokémon Masters game is focused on game characters (though I think the reason they don't use anime stuff is because of rights)
No i think that just due to the popular of the anime show and Shudõ-san might foresee a chance to milk him (Mewtwo) for popular of generation 1 Pokémon and eventually consuming nostalgic factor in the future.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

The two Onix would've just caused more damage and headaches with the animators. But yeah, odd that Joy said to release all the Pokémon in their possession, but the gang were too stingy to follow the rules. Really makes you think.

Maybe Mewtwo just didn't get the memo about Pikachu's Vacation.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
Any reason as to why is this thread still pinned?? Gotta clear up the clutter, Dephender is slacking.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.