• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

July 12th: M22- Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution (July 16: Supportive screening)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Wait !? Nyabby !?

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
They played this movie's rendition of Kaze to Issho ni on the radio a few days back...

I dunno, I prefer the original. The new one lacks the grandeur of the old one's instrumentals. And, nothing against Shoko Nakagawa, but she's no Sachiko Kobayashi. Her parts of the song sound noticeably weaker to me.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
They played this movie's rendition of Kaze to Issho ni on the radio a few days back...

I dunno, I prefer the original. The new one lacks the grandeur of the old one's instrumentals. And, nothing against Shoko Nakagawa, but she's no Sachiko Kobayashi. Her parts of the song sound noticeably weaker to me.

I agree, it was a disappointment. Doesn't help that this isn't a song that was written with the intent of being sung as a duet either.

Redstar45

Can't saying anything bad about it as i haven't hear it yet myself.

Kein

AKA Silktree
Mewtwo Returns is getting a serialized manga adaptation in CoroCoro Special. It will start on June 28th, but there is no snippet (only for this movie's adaptation). It's handled by the same mangaka, so expect the same art style (which is nice).

I wish The Birth of Mewtwo would get the same treatment.

It isn't that surprising from my point of view since this movie seems to follow the plot of the first movie very closely, so there probably wasn't really a need to advertise this movie with that many trailers to begin with when most fans already know how the movie goes.
So far the movie has gotten the usual amount of trailers: December, March and April. It will get more next month.

The target audience are kids who may not have watched the first movie.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
The new version of Kaze to Issho ni being inferior to the original was kind of expected since the solo version sung by Sachiko Kobayashi was a classic that can't be surpassed from my perspective. I guess that my other issue with the new duet version is that I typically dislike Shoko's vocals.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I think the instruments are weaker in this one as much as I adore piano pieces, it doesn't feel like an actual orchestra like the original. I don't mind Shoko Nakagawa's vocals here, but Sachiko Kobayashi clearly has gotten older since 1998, so her voice is scratchier than before despite her still hitting notes. Can't help her voice changing, although a change in octave would've had to make up for it. Although the singers are putting their best into it, the music doesn't seem to be trying to carry it.

But it is a calmer version, and maybe that's what they were going for. Whenever I listen to "Kaze to Issho ni", I imagine it being sung to Mewtwo while he goes out to explore the world, and when it crescendos, that's the world's inhabitants greeting him. Applying that same vision to this version, I think it's more-or-less to calm his heart, but it's not accompanying him around the world like the original.

While I'm not going to go out of my way to listen to this version more than the original, I do feel it's better than other 20th anniversary soundtracks I've heard, however. *coughDigimonTricough*

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
I had never heard that Kaze song before, but I just listened to the original and it's really beautiful. I haven't heard the new one for this movie yet, but the fact that it became a full duet doesn't bode well. I don't know why they didn't just reuse the original without the extra featured artist.

Leonhart

Imagineer
BTS_fan said:
I had never heard that Kaze song before, but I just listened to the original and it's really beautiful. I haven't heard the new one for this movie yet, but the fact that it became a full duet doesn't bode well. I don't know why they didn't just reuse the original without the extra featured artist.

It seems like a typical marketing strategy, especially since Shoko sings in the newer version. She seems to get involved in a lot of movie related material, usually as a guest seiyuu because of her popularity.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Doppelgänger said:
Shoko Nakagawa might technically be a guest, but like Koichi Yamadera, she's more like extended family within the Pokemon franchise. To me, a true guest is someone who otherwise has nothing to do with Pokemon, as many of the celebrity voice actors are.

It's a tad tough to call Shoko a guest when she's been the perennial star of Pokemon variety shows for the past decade. Because of that affiliation, I would see her as an "in-house" singer versus Sachiko Kobayashi, and so, cheaper/easier to use. It speaks to the level of production we can expect out of M22.

I guess that my main problem with her added vocals in the new version of the song stems from the fact that the original song is a classic to me since it was one of the first Japanese songs that I heard back when I got into Pokemon two decades ago. So to hear the song's new arrangement with Shoko added in just feels like a rather distasteful promotional stunt to me.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Last edited:

Redstar45

It is nice to see him again from.....21 years ago.....man i am old lol

Status
Not open for further replies.