1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

July 14th: SM130 - Mao and Suiren! A Fully Powered Battle of Friendship!!

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Dephender, Jul 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Trollbias

Lord Trollbias Y'all Salty Bishes

Probably. Though I imagine it'll be a close fight to hype up Ilima as the "favorite" and subsequently boost Guzma's stock as the one who beat the favorite despite the trump card of Mega Evolution.

RLC, Kawaii Emolga and Rune Knight like this.
  2. Sham

Sham Complicated

She simply broke up the class form. It’s not like any of them fainted. And that’s literally just ONE more “battle” she has over Mallow. It’s not like Lana is miles always from Mallow in terms of experience that she just HAS to win.

3. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

Interestingly Primarina knows nothing but water moves. It could learn Ice Beam or Moonblast in order to defeat Tsareena.

4. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger Superancient Member

Tsareena does have a type advantage over Primarina, and so far Primarina only knows Water-type moves. If Tsareena is revealed to have Queenly Majesty, Aqua Jet will also fail when used. Lana makes up for these shortcomings with battle experience and a rehearsed Z-Move.

They're really close in spite of the nonzero chance of Mallow's Z-Move imploding when used.

wolf jani likes this.
  5. Twilight-Kun

Twilight-Kun Pokemon World Champion

It's going to be a dual knockout, or Lana beats Mallow because Water is Super-Effective against Grass, then she'll lose to Kiawe because Fire is Super-Effective against Water

As we saw during the Kalos League :p

SH65, Kawaii Emolga, DuquÊ? and 4 others like this.
  6. Rune Knight

Rune Knight Well-Known Member

Ah yes, and that is why you play normal types; it doesn't have the type advantage over anything and therefore it can't lose!

wolf jani likes this.
  7. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Really the only thing Lana has going for her is that she's the writers pet
    Mallow should be the one to win this though

8. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I certainly hope so. It's the only reason why I'm looking forward to their match more than I'm looking forward to Suiren versus Mao. Guzma's just so much more interesting to me since he's a villain and watching him defeat the Alola League favorite's Mega Garuura would elevate him a bit in terms of how serious of a threat he'll be from now on.

9. Epicocity

Epicocity Well-Known Member

After seeing so many of your posts...when are you going to realize that type advantage means very little in the anime? Sure, it has some effect, but there are a lot more cases of victory with neutral to non-effective typing than with super-effective. This isn't the games where everything is decided by numbers and stats and modifiers. So, I don't think Mallow having a Grass type has any real weight on this battle by comparison.

wolf jani likes this.
  10. Decidueye23

Decidueye23 Well-Known Member

maybe but realistically speaking. Both are fully evolved pokemon. This could go eitherway. I think itll be clash of Z-moves. Oceanic Operetta vs Bloom doom

11. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I could see things going either way as well, although I was initially leaning towards Suiren winning just because she's received the most screen-time and development of the two. I don't really consider myself to be a big fan of either character however, so I'm not rooting for anyone in particular. I care more about the other battles than I do about this match up.

RLC, BTS_fan and Decidueye23 like this.
  12. Almighty Zard

Almighty Zard He has returned.

When I look back at the history of the two, Mallow was definitely handed her evolutions (and a legendary that technically she doesn't own) compared to Lana, so as far as i'm concerned their both "pets" plus Lana has at least shown when push comes to shove she WILL fight, so I give her more credit.

the more I think about it, Guzma vs Ilima should've gone last, and gotten an episode to itself.

RLC, TheWanderingMist and wolf jani like this.
  13. Red and Blue

The fact that Guzma vs. Illima isnt even the central focus should be enough to tell you that there isnt much tension there. With Mallow and Lana it should be hard to tell who the victor will be..

wolf jani likes this.
  14. Almighty Zard

that's kind of an issue I have.

If Guzma beats Illima, the school's prodigy and favorite to win, who is using a mega no less. It should send a shock through the students(everyone else is exempt) making them more tense and nervous for the rest of the event because their school's rep is on the line and the notion that one of them has to take him down to not only keep their school's honor, but also stop him from winning becomes a deeper plot element.

but because the episode is focusing on the girls, the shock factor is likely not going to last as long as it should if Guzma was to win and I don't like that.

But if Illima beats Guzma then the shock factor wouldn't need to be there.

FullmetalJackie likes this.
  15. Lord Starfish

Lord Starfish Fond of owls

I would assume the bulk of the episode is going to focus on Mao and Suiren's battle, then at the end they're like "Oh look, Guzma and Ilima's battle is about to begin!"
    ...and then Guzma OHKOs Ilima's Pokémon. TO BE CONTINUED.

wolf jani likes this.
  16. Red and Blue

According to the summary Guzma vs. Illima is the second match. Lana vs. Mallow is last for a reason

17. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger Superancient Member

Take a step back an ask yourself if you honestly think this. This take rubs against the common sense of the Pokemon franchise along with the major core idea the anime tries to teach.

No matter what medium, be it games, cards or television, typing plays a prominent role because it's one of Pokemon's defining characteristics.

Go ahead and bet against typing because of "anime logic", I'm going with what the franchise wants me to think matters.

18. Almighty Zard

I can think of several instances where types didn't apply in combat, strategy plays an important factor too.

heck remember how in the kalos league, Greninja beat Mega Sceptile with a Water Shuriken that it should've tanked due to quad resistance, and then lost to Mega Charizard X via Blast Burn which itself should've resisted?

This logic implies you want Mallow to win based on type alone, there's a lot more to combat than just that though.

RLC, Twilight-Kun and wolf jani like this.
  19. Joltik-Kid

Joltik-Kid Same thing, day in;day out ಠ_ಠ

Goes to show ME took the nerf button hard in Sun and Moon... Brock's Mega Steelix being the only good showing. Just can't see Guzma losing in the Top 16 especially since he isn't using Golisipod yet.

As for Mallow vs Lana, eh I prefer Mallow, but this is Lana we're talking about, she's practically flawless at everything she does

wolf jani likes this.
  20. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

Mallow's pretty much had ALL her training and labouring completely non existent or offscreen though, so it's a pretty tough choice. BOTH of them have ridiculous plot armour to prevent them ever struggling for a damn thing, let alone lose at it (seriously Primarina and Tsareena have suffered basic damage all of ONCE each?), so it's a tough choice whose will eventually run out and finally get knocked out for the first time ever.

Or maybe they'll pull another curveball and have it all offscreen or one of them forfeit. I mean abiding by this week's episode, they REALLY don't wanna show the girls getting roughed up this series. :p

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    RLC, Twilight-Kun and wolf jani like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.