• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

July 14th: SM130 - Mao and Suiren! A Fully Powered Battle of Friendship!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
I thought Lillie was the writer's pet?
A lot less frequently than Lana and hasn't done anything interesting since bonding with Clefable, which then didn't go anywhere thanks to the release of the Ultra games and its subsequent shoehorning into the rest of the saga

Nagisa learning Bouncy Bubble would be cool but it doesn’t have to come at the cost of rendering Suiren’s main partner Pokemon obsolete, why do you think this a good idea?
Because Brionne could already blow bubbles sturdy enough to hold a human, as seen in the Kyogre episode

Heck, Popplio could do it as well, as seen when she actually tried, thus triggering an evolution

Which is amusing since both of her evolution episodes involved her actually putting forth effort (blowing larger bubbles to become Brionne and swimming faster to become a Primarina)

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Because Brionne could already blow bubbles sturdy enough to hold a human, as seen in the Kyogre episode

Heck, Popplio could do it as well, as seen when she actually tried, thus triggering an evolution

Which is amusing since both of her evolution episodes involved her actually putting forth effort (blowing larger bubbles to become Brionne and swimming faster to become a Primarina)
But they’re still not done with their training, Suiren apparently still had work with their Z-Move to do hence why she was trying to master Sparkling Aria by fighting Mamane in a training match. SeaGod Symphony is literally a giant balloon and even then there’s still no set benchmark for when Suiren’s balloons are good enough to actually hold people while exploring the sea and being 100% stable. Also like I said Nagisa learning Bouncy Bubble doesn’t have to mean throwing away literally a 100 episodes of Ashimari-Oysamari-Ashirene training with Suiren for this exact purpose and rules Suiren’s ace completely worthless. He already is shown in training scenes with them, it wouldn’t be surprising if he picked it up already.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jangobadass said:
IKR?

Hell, Tsareena's usually the one to take charge and get things done without Mallow giving her commands. Mallow ain't much of a trainer, but Tsareena's tough & cool enough to carry her for a while.

That's one of my pet peeves regarding Mao. I don't usually mind when a trainer's Pokemon takes charge on their own, but the thought of Mao just standing around holding Shaymin while Amajo makes all of the tactical decisions during her next battle isn't exactly a pretty picture.

wellwellwells

So what if top 16 is actually 4 tag battles between four trainers each and Lana & Mallow are the team? It would actually accommodate to having all the main cast battles shown and still fitting in the 6/7 episode schedule.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
So what if top 16 is actually 4 tag battles between four trainers each and Lana & Mallow are the team? It would actually accommodate to having all the main cast battles shown and still fitting in the 6/7 episode schedule.
Who would Guzma be stuck with as a partner? Hau?

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Although it would be interesting if the pairings were randomly chosen so we wound up with a situation where Ash and Guzma got paired up together.

That would be interesting, but wouldn't it be better to have the focus on say.... Ash and Guzma or Kiawe/Viren or James/Faba? Plenty more fun interactions

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."

I don't think forced pairs are a good idea in the actual battle round of a league.

The Battle Royale preliminary works because you can work by yourself if you want to or team up.

But when all the qualifiers make it, each one should work on their own to succeed.

Hanto

Water Addiction

Leonhart

Imagineer
wellwellwells said:

That actually sounds like an interesting idea, and I'd love to see Suiren and Mao be a team during that rather than them being opponents. It would also give rise to a lot of other shenanigans depending on what the other teams look like.

That actually sounds like an interesting idea, and I'd love to see Suiren and Mao be a team during that rather than them being opponents. It would also give rise to a lot of other shenanigans depending on what the other teams look like.
It would make this tournament even less of a 'league'. Leagues are supposed to be about individual accomplishments.

I hope this isn't the case, cause that would make this suck even harder.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
I don't think that'll happen given as far as we know, there are no Gracidea flowers nearby.
If the plot helps Mao's brother might have found it somewhere in his travels
It would make this tournament even less of a 'league'. Leagues are supposed to be about individual accomplishments.

The first round is a BATTLE ROYALE, everything is possible

Red and Blue

I dont think it will be a tag battle cause I just cant see both of them advancing to the top 8. It has to be one or the other.

I do like the idea of the top 16 being comprised of double battles though

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I speculated that the Top 16 would be 1 vs 1 and that the Top 8 were doubles.

Having Double Battles at the Top 16 would make no sense if Lillie moves on from the Battle Royale. Magearna is not activated yet.

Top 16 Matches (1 vs 1)

1) Ilima vs Guzma
Smeagle vs Scizor

It sets up Guzma as a viable threat by beating the "star pupil" of the Pokémon School.

2) Sophocles vs Faba
Vikavolt vs Alakazam

Vikavolt's Bug Z-Move beats out Faba's Psychic Z-Move

3) Acerola vs Jessie
Dead Mimikyu vs Mimikyu

4) Lillie vs Gladion
Snowy vs Umbreon

Sibling match that they have been teasing for a while now.

5) Ash vs Plumeria
Torracat vs Salazzle

Ash beating Plumeria further cements him on Guzma's hate list.

6) Hau vs Mina
3rd Pokemon vs Ribombee
We see the the Fairy Z-Move from Mina. Maybe we can see the Poison Z-Move from Hau's 3rd Pokemon.

7) Kiawe vs James
Marowak vs Mareani

Kiawe's Fire type beats James' Water type.

8) Lana vs Mallow
Primarina vs Tsareena

Lana beats Mallow, like obviously.

Lana vs Mallow does seem like it could happen, but now since we saw Jessie and Ash battling duing the Battle Royale, I don't know if she'll advance.

Mimikyu is too stubborn to stop fighting Pikachu UNLESS Pikarla jumps in and Mimikyu takes out her Pikachu instead.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist

you enjoy setting these warning/ban traps for people lol but I actually do agree that I'd prefer this league be single battles after the battle royale but my reason is due to the battle royale already showcasing a bunch of pokemon battling at the same time. Afterwards they could slow down and show what individual pokemon can do to each other, their full power and what not, without having to worry about random attacks from anywhere except their one opponent.

DatsRight

A lot less frequently than Lana and hasn't done anything interesting since bonding with Clefable, which then didn't go anywhere thanks to the release of the Ultra games and its subsequent shoehorning into the rest of the saga

The girls feel oddly gender structured this series, generally being regimented in development away from the boys and having their 'training' and development handled to a different standard to them. To compare the girls have only really had one proper group episode while the boys have had many, and even that one episode consisted mostly of arbitrary gags.

Lillie was the exception originally because they were better at dovetailing her into the group as a whole and giving her a chemistry with Ash to merge their development. She also did more slapstick than the other girls combined which made her easier to place as having a major role into 'antic' fillers. This slowly devolved after the AF arc however, and the lack of any key development pivots meant Lillie eventually became a background character in many episodes as well.

This is a key reason I'm struggling to care about this episode, Mallow and Lana are essentially glorified and awkward tweaks of the 'neutral female' archetype, this episode is likely celebrating them being good battlers despite not doing a stinking single official one the entire series.

I really don't have high hopes for the female additions next series.

Status
Not open for further replies.