• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

July 15th: PM2019 117 - VS Shirona! Iris' Road to Dragon Master

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowForce720

I hope Ash loses. It makes sense for Ash to loose to Cynthia or Leon.
Then again winning the whole thing might get him out of the show…
If Ash loses to anyone in the Masters 8 Tournament it’s going to be to Leon.

However it’s probably more likely that Ash will win against Leon considering that it would actually benefit Leon to lose. There really isn’t any benefit for Leon if he wins.

thor94

Like several people, i really hope cynthia will win. Ash already defeated iris, we don't need a redo that will be basically a copy/paste of the previous battle with the same pokemon and same result.
And i want to see Ash fight and defeat Cynthia

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
I wonder who is Cynthia's third Pokémon. With her being called a "Dragon Master", I wonder if we'll be seeing Kommo-o as well. This is would be weird though.

Lance is a Dragon Master and will be using two dragon types and a water type snake.

Cynthia is a "Dragon Master" and could be using two dragon types and a water type snake.

You know the writing is biased when Lance, an actual dragon user, is less considered a dragon master than Cynthia.

But, again, that’s more about Iris be Cynthia’s fan.

Shirona has never been called a Dragon Master, what the actual hell are you on about?

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Shirona has never been called a Dragon Master, what the actual hell are you on about?
Mistranslation of episode titles. Some source translated the title as Battle of Dragon Masters.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Mistranslation of episode titles. Some source translated the title as Battle of Dragon Masters.

Don't follow crappy sources.

It's funny because Lance and Cynthia did have something about dragon masters in Masters EX, but it's only because their fandoms were arguing against each other who was better than the other.

Dragon Master is an anime-exclusive title. What the English video games translate as "dragon master" is something entirely different ("dragon-tsukai", ie "someone who uses dragons". Wataru was in fact referred to as such last episode too)

Belowski

Don't follow crappy sources.

Dragon Master is an anime-exclusive title. What the English video games translate as "dragon master" is something entirely different ("dragon-tsukai", ie "someone who uses dragons". Wataru was in fact referred to as such last episode too)
The English games used to call them "Dragon users", while the Japanese games (and later English) call them "Dragon tamers", as in the trainer class.

VSDragon_Tamer_BDSP.png

Lance and Clair are just stronger versions of these guys, hence the capes.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
The English games used to call them "Dragon users", while the Japanese games (and later English) call them "Dragon tamers", as in the trainer class.

The "dragon master" translation comes from the original English Gold/Silver, which is where most dialogue relating to Wataru comes from, I assume that's why English Pokemon Masters dredged it up again. B2W2 references dialogue from here too, but changes it to "Dragon-type master". Prior to that, the English gen 1 games translated it as "Dragon trainer".

"Dragon tamer" isn't really what the term means either.

Last edited:

Eevee903

You are awesome!
The "dragon master" translation comes from the original English Gold/Silver, which is where most dialogue relating to Wataru comes from, I assume that's why English Pokemon Masters dredged it up again. B2W2 references dialogue from here too, but changes it to "Dragon-type master". Prior to that, the English gen 1 games translated it as "Dragon trainer".

"Dragon tamer" isn't really what the term means either.
Ugh why do they make it so complicated?

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Translation not being an exact science doesn't mean you shouldn't make an attempt to avoid confusion as best as possible. Pokemon Masters dragging in an old translation of Dragon-tsukai that hadn't been used since gen 4 (and had been retconned in gen 5) that ALSO happened to be a term pretty much every English-speaking Pokemon fan associated with the identically-named anime-exclusive concept was incredibly short-sighted.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Yeah, Oda was clearly abusing the language here. Same with wano-kuni which actually translates to ‘the land of harmony’ when written in katakana but he kept is as wano.
I......actually didn't know that last one!

Status
Not open for further replies.