• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

July 18: Movie 18-The Archdjinni of Rings: Hoopa (Sep 10: Cafe Update and Event)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
As someone that actually watched a lot of the movie promotion on TV, I'd say that the extreme focus on the legendaries and particularly on how awesome it was that you could get them for your video game actually overshadowed the actual movie by a great deal. There was almost more focus on how cool Palkia is in the video games than on who this Barza guy actually is, which probably isn't the best way to get people into theater seats.

Sounds interesting I mean if I was a kid the legendary pokemon events would interest me more than the movie too. ^^

Navin

MALDREAD
As someone that actually watched a lot of the movie promotion on TV, I'd say that the extreme focus on the legendaries and particularly on how awesome it was that you could get them for your video game actually overshadowed the actual movie by a great deal. There was almost more focus on how cool Palkia is in the video games than on who this Barza guy actually is, which probably isn't the best way to get people into theater seats.

I remember how hyped I was as a kid to see Pokemon the Movie and Pokemon 2000 in theaters. More than caring about whether or not I captured Lugia in Silver. Too bad the films don't generate that type of interest nowadays. You think if you're going to spend the time and effort to make a film, the least you can do is write a decent story and promote it.

DotKU

Champion
Honestly it's sad that these movies are starting to decrease in appeal more and more, but it's inevitable for a series that has been going this long. It's worse with the fact that they don't seem to care about straying away from their formula and taking risks. I think a large part of what used to make the films a lot more interesting was the focus on human characters alongside the legendaries, where as these films of late just focus on the legendaries. Staying with the formula might not hurt the games, but it is really starting to show its toll on both the anime and movies.

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.

Personally, I have the sensation that apart of the "first" boom of legendaries shown in CoroCoro, the legendaries of the movie were overshadowed, specially regarding his actual role on the film. I also think that this year short was unnecessary and the time given to the short could be dedicated to the main feature.

Because of a heavily charged weekend of premiers because of Obon Festival (Jurassic World, Burrito Salad Boruto, Mission Impossibru Impossible, Ramen Driver Kamen Rider Drive and Japan's Longest Day), Pokémon finally felt out of top 10. At least that was the result for Friday. However, it held 10th place very fine until late night, when Hero 2 overtook Pokémon's place.

Thanks to Corpse from World of KJ

Tomorrow there will be the final results for the 3-day weekend chart.

Last edited:

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Catching up a bit more...

From July 24th: A report from the Pikachu event in Hiroshima celebrating the movie premiere and the opening of the Pokémon Center Hiroshima

Cute and fun read, even though the event didn't turn out quite as planned.

The way that this flopped omg. They need to make these movies TV specials.

Did you even see how many major blockbusters were on that top list? The competition is huge this year.
The movie has made quite a lot o money and is in no way a flop.

Last edited:

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
And since we're now caught up, that means updates can be translated and posted as they happen

Today's blog update is model sheets for the Traveler the way he looks as an old man in the flashback to Barza and Mary's childhood.

Also, added the missing videos to the OP:

Fixed the trailer links that didn't work due to the videos being reuploaded without notes about the preorder event too.

Last edited:

st.pokemon3428

You know the big giant mysterious pokemon corocoro teased about that nobody knows what it is??? Well maybe you know the strange relic you got from that backpacker has something to do with it and that there will be an event regarding it as the movie comes out???!!!! :):)

Lord Zoroark

Master Tactician
You know the big giant mysterious pokemon corocoro teased about that nobody knows what it is??? Well maybe you know the strange relic you got from that backpacker has something to do with it and that there will be an event regarding it as the movie comes out???!!!! :):)

So it wasn't just me who thought that it was supposed to be a giant naked woman? Pity.

NightShadow

So how exactly does this compare to other Pokemon movies? Is it great, good, okay, or not good.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
So how exactly does this compare to other Pokemon movies? Is it great, good, okay, or not good.

It's subjective, but I thought it was very average. You should probably wait and watch it yourself though so you can form your own opinion.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
It's allegedly made 2.39 billion yen at this point. The Diancie movie had made 2.72 billion after having been in theaters for the same period of time. Most other not-the-first-movie-of-a-gen did much worse than their predecessors than that

Perfect Zygarde

Yeah this movie looks good and I like Hoopa's personality based on what I've seen so far. But does anyone else think it's stupid that we still haven't gotten a U.S. airdate?

Status
Not open for further replies.