• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

July 21st: SM131 - Musashi VS Kojiro! A Battlefield of Love and Truth!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsRight

I'm going to make a bold prediction: one of Jessie or James will use Meowth, and Meowth will learn Aerial Ace.

Why is this? It's complicated.

Jessie and James' Japanese names are Musashi and Kojirou. They are named after two legendary swordsmen, Musashi Miyamoto and Kojirou Sasaki. The legend goes that Musashi killed Kojirou on Ganryu Island, a deserted island in the middle of the Kanmon Straits, which a body of water that splits the cities of Shimonoseki and Moji.

Kojirou is famous for a secret sword technique, the "Tsubame Gaeshi", which is the namesake of the Pokemon attack we know as "Aerial Ace". Of the current Team Rocket Pokemon, only Meowth is capable of learning Aerial Ace. There is no better time to milk the first-ever (?) Jessie/James battle without referencing the legendary samurai duel.

James even hinted at this by making puns out of the legend's setting during SM129's PokeProblem (thanks, Lord Starfish):

EuRfSxL.jpg

ywfP3Sx.jpg

"Kanmon Kaikyou, Moji Shimonoseki" are also lyrics from "Roketto-dan Danka", the Team Rocket March that seems to have become their main theme song. I'm betting that will play at some point, too!

While I'm all for Meowth finally getting a buff, I get the feeling if he got ANYTHING it would be Dark type move to make use of their Z Crystal.

Also if I remember correctly Jessie and James have battled several times before. Mostly petty unofficial spats in break up episodes but still.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'd love to see Nyasu be used by Kojirou here since it would at least be entertaining to see Nyasu participate in a serious battle against one of his teammates. But even if that does happen, I'm not entirely convinced that he'd learn a new attack.

p96822

Evolve me please
Meowth would be at a huge disadvantage because he has no moves to Touch Mimikyu. Plus James has type advantage against Mimikyu because being a Poison type

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
I agree with the narrative of Hidoide evolving and beating Mimikyu, her love for her trainer prevailing over Mimikyu hate-fueled drive to get to Pikachu. Proving that love always beats hate, as one user before said. Plus like I said before, it’s really crazy to think Musashi and Kojirou have yet to have a serious battle since the show started so it would be such a Sun&Moon thing to go all out with some reference gags here and there and some funky battle animation presentation. Plus I feel like Kojirou could use a little love.

Kind of funny, Mimikyu’s game lore would suit Kojirou, it wanting a trainer to love it like people love Pikachu and Kojirou being a loving and caring trainer who would struggle it like he did Manene while Hidoide being a Poison-type would suit Musashi more. I even remember her being the one who was more interested in Hidoide when she first appeared. They ended up with the direct opposites, Hidoide is a sweet and loving poison Pokemon while Mimikyu is hardly a wubby but vicious and nasty.

Leonhart

Imagineer
p96822 said:
Meowth would be at a huge disadvantage because he has no moves to Touch Mimikyu. Plus James has type advantage against Mimikyu because being a Poison type

Well I was thinking that Musashi might use Sonansu instead of Mimikkyu just for the added drama of Nyasu having to battle against a Pokemon that he's known for such a long time, but I suppose that Musashi using Mimikkyu might be more likely.

p96822

Evolve me please
I agree with the narrative of Hidoide evolving and beating Mimikyu, her love for her trainer prevailing over Mimikyu hate-fueled drive to get to Pikachu. Proving that love always beats hate, as one user before said. Plus like I said before, it’s really crazy to think Musashi and Kojirou have yet to have a serious battle since the show started so it would be such a Sun&Moon thing to go all out with some reference gags here and there and some funky battle animation presentation. Plus I feel like Kojirou could use a little love.

Kind of funny, Mimikyu’s game lore would suit Kojirou, it wanting a trainer to love it like people love Pikachu and Kojirou being a loving and caring trainer who would struggle it like he did Manene while Hidoide being a Poison-type would suit Musashi more. I even remember her being the one who was more interested in Hidoide when she first appeared. They ended up with the direct opposites, Hidoide is a sweet and loving poison Pokemon while Mimikyu is hardly a wubby but vicious and nasty.

I though about this as well of James winning over Jessie, but I don’t feel like James and Mareanie has the same love impact that I felt with a Cacnea p

ShadowForce720

It's interesting the match ups are kind of the reverse of the match ups that were getting in episode 130, what I mean by this is if you look at the match ups in episode 130 which is composed of Ash vs Faba, Illima vs Guzma, Hau vs Samson Oak, and Mallow vs Lana, we already pretty much know that Ash, Hau, and Guzma will win their match ups heck it's confirmed that that Ash and Hau won their top 16 match ups because they are facing each other in the Top 8, where as if you look at the Mallow vs Lana, that's the only match that in that episode were the outcome isn't as certain as some people think Mallow will win while other people think Lana will win.

Where if you look at this episode it's the reverse in most of the match up here people don't know how there going to end and have people on both sides of which character they think will win the match, where as the only match in this epiosde that people are certain of the outcome is Lillie vs Gladion for obvious reasons, the only thing that people are certain about that match is what pokemon Gladion is going to use to beat Lillie.

Last edited:

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
I though about this as well of James winning over Jessie, but I don’t feel like James and Mareanie has the same love impact that I felt with a Cacnea p

Why does 'love' have to be a factor here? Even if James loses it prolly won't be because he didn't love Mareanie enough and will instead be based on Jessie just having the stronger Pokemon.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Why does 'love' have to be a factor here? Even if James loses it prolly won't be because he didn't love Mareanie enough and will instead be based on Jessie just having the stronger Pokemon.
Love is quite literally in the title, but that's probably just to reference the motto. Or it's a reference to Mareanie's love and Mimikyu's true form being revealed.

DatsRight

Seriously I think TR might be the part of the league I'm most invested in, simply because it feels like something they have to work around in many factors. Bewear, avoiding the twerps' suspicion (Ash for once almost caught onto them), and now battling each other.

At the same time, while I don't want them to both lose at the first hurdle, it's annoying they haven't got much build up to the league either, only Mimikyu has been treated as powerful throughout the series. Seriously of all series to have every character join in on the league, the pacing and development for this one was horrible. Just HORRIBLE.

wellwellwells

Seriously I think TR might be the part of the league I'm most invested in, simply because it feels like something they have to work around in many factors. Bewear, avoiding the twerps' suspicion (Ash for once almost caught onto them), and now battling each other.

At the same time, while I don't want them to both lose at the first hurdle, it's annoying they haven't got much build up to the league either, only Mimikyu has been treated as powerful throughout the series. Seriously of all series to have every character join in on the league, the pacing and development for this one was horrible. Just HORRIBLE.

Right? Imagine a league battle between May and Ash.

Leonhart

Imagineer
DatsRight said:
Seriously I think TR might be the part of the league I'm most invested in, simply because it feels like something they have to work around in many factors.

It is a bit ironic that I'm also more invested in this match than I am in the others. It's probably because I'm more of a fan of Musashi and Kojirou than I am of any of the Alolan characters in this tournament, plus the thought of them battling each other in a serious setting rarely happens so it's like a novelty.

DatsRight

It is a bit ironic that I'm also more invested in this match than I am in the others. It's probably because I'm more of a fan of Musashi and Kojirou than I am of any of the Alolan characters in this tournament, plus the thought of them battling each other in a serious setting rarely happens so it's like a novelty.

I think it's also that while they have poor battle development, Jessie and James are recurrent losers for it, while the twerps are usually plot armoured to high heaven to always win and look good anyway (Mallow and Lana are poorly developed and yet have NEVER lost or even taken hits back for example). You root more for a character that's usually working against the odds than one that's an perpetual winner regardless of circumstance.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Gotta say I’m more interested in the Mallow vs Lana match and Lillie vs Gladion. However this battle should be interesting as well

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I think it's also that while they have poor battle development, Jessie and James are recurrent losers for it, while the twerps are usually plot armoured to high heaven to always win and look good anyway (Mallow and Lana are poorly developed and yet have NEVER lost or even taken hits back for example). You root more for a character that's usually working against the odds than one that's an perpetual winner regardless of circumstance.

Pretty much this, it's hard to root for characters that always win and don't struggle at all!
That's why it is also easy to root for Kiawe, the big 'battler' of the class is more than owed his big victory....

Red and Blue

Since Jessie vs. James is only the sixth match I wonder how much time the following two matches will get?

I feel like Gladion vs. Lillie is more important than Acerola vs. Kiawe so I'm hoping the former matches gets a bit more screentime

DatsRight

Pretty much this, it's hard to root for characters that always win and don't struggle at all!
That's why it is also easy to root for Kiawe, the big 'battler' of the class is more than owed his big victory....

Ash is also a clever reconstruction, he's aced battling but the series has had him blunder so miserably at everything else the class does that you want him to just have his moment.

Also neither Ash, Kiawe or TR have had any offscreen buffs.....yet. (I mean, I could easily see Mareanie randomly having a full moveset in this match from how things have been going recently but still. :p)

p96822

Evolve me please
Ash is also a clever reconstruction, he's aced battling but the series has had him blunder so miserably at everything else the class does that you want him to just have his moment.

Also neither Ash, Kiawe or TR have had any offscreen buffs.....yet. (I mean, I could easily see Mareanie randomly having a full moveset in this match from how things have been going recently but still. :p)

I wouldn’t to say that Ash was reconstructed it’s more of expanding on his clumsiness in Xy. How he explains things is very similar to XY

Status
Not open for further replies.