• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

July 26th: PM2019 030 - The Reluctant Pikachu and the Exasperated Barrierd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zoruagible said:
Retconned into being Ash's Pokemon and letting him join Ash, leaving Delia alone without even Incineroar to keep her company, while all of the others are still gone.

"Retcon" aside, I don't think Hanako having Barrierd as her personal servant was a good move to begin with. Barrierd did nothing to enhance her character, and frankly he serves a better role being Satoshi's caretaker since Satoshi is apparently incapable of doing even the simplest chores himself.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
"Retcon" aside, I don't think Hanako having Barrierd as her personal servant was a good move to begin with. Barrierd did nothing to enhance her character, and frankly he serves a better role being Satoshi's caretaker since Satoshi is apparently incapable of doing even the simplest chores himself.

Ash: Imma put some salt in this coffee here! It's sure gonna be delicious!

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
I don't think people are objecting to the episode because of face value but rather because Pikachu is always been the designated Big Brother of Ash's team and the main cast in general.
This is the same Pokemon that was pushed around by Chikorita and Oshawott but I acted like the bigger man about it.
This is just artificially creating drama for the sake of a plot point

He's also the same Pokemon that has been shown to experience disappointment and generally sulk when not being chosen over other team members, such as when he was left out of the battle against Gary in the silver conference, when he was initially going to be left out of the Nimbasa battle and when Noivern was deemed big and reliable enough to battle over Pikachu in XY. It's because he basically just expects to be chosen, such as in the battle against Korrina when he stepped forwards to battle alongside Riolu, despite the fact Ash was already planning to use Gengar and Dragonite..

Pikachu is a brat, that much has been evident since his debut way back in episode one. That's why I don't see this as a major change in his character like everyone else seems to..

desdar300

He's also the same Pokemon that has been shown to experience disappointment and generally sulk when not being chosen over other team members, such as when he was left out of the battle against Gary in the silver conference, when he was initially going to be left out of the Nimbasa battle and when Noivern was deemed big and reliable enough to battle over Pikachu in XY. It's because he basically just expects to be chosen, such as in the battle against Korrina when he stepped forwards to battle alongside Riolu, despite the fact Ash was already planning to use Gengar and Dragonite..

Pikachu is a brat, that much has been evident since his debut way back in episode one. That's why I don't see this as a major change in his character like everyone else seems to..
There's being disappointed and then there's running away to another part of the region because your trainer is raising a baby Pokemon who's more or less the weakest of the team.
What makes this even more absurd is that we have a Pokemon with abandonment issues right there but they go for the oldest member of Ash's team with an established personality.
They can have Ash take the heat for this all they want but it's still ridiculous

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
If only we have a baby Pokémon or a Pokémon with abandonment issues that can fit the jealousy role much better.
Actually, given Riolu feels like a million bucks (what are those?), it would make much more sense if, after that, Pikachu was chosen for a battle Riolu wanted to fight but was denied which then would lead to him feeling jealous instead of Pikachu because Riolu just wouldn't understand why he was turned down if he helped raise Ash's rank.

(Unfortunately, it doesn't seem Gengar has those issues anymore.)

SerenaRulez

If only we have a baby Pokémon or a Pokémon with abandonment issues that can fit the jealousy role much better.

Pikachu fits the plot just fine because we have seen him act like this before in other sagas like in Kalos when Ash wanted to use Noivern in a battle and Pikachu got salty.

Red and Blue

It'd be interesting if since they're going to pallet town that Mimey will want to stay back with Ash's mom and thus freeing up another spot on Ash's team.
Why would Mimey want to permanently return Pallet Town when the whole reason it stayed in Vermilion City was to look over Ash?

And it's not like Mimey is taking any spots since it's not considered part of his active team

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
First of all. Ew. And Second of all. Eww.

If you think that's bad just impossible what people will say/write/draw if Ash ever gets a Gardevoir :p
And that's precisely why I never want him to get one.

Sword master zacian

Tbh if they pulled it with any of the galar starter it would have been a good episode since all of the middle evolution of starters look like they are ready leave their trainer anytime soon especially drizzile/raboot

Leonhart

Imagineer
Mrinal Narang said:

I really like how Barrierd is going the extra mile for Pikachu despite them not exactly being best friends up until recently. They've known each other since late Kanto, but were never really friends despite them living together during the months prior to the Sekiei League. It's interesting to see them bond like this.

I really like how Barrierd is going the extra mile for Pikachu despite them not exactly being best friends up until recently. They've known each other since late Kanto, but were never really friends despite them living together during the months prior to the Sekiei League. It's interesting to see them bond like this.
They are good friends (at least from what can be seen in their interaction from the few episodes they were reunited prior to Journeys).

Maybe this can be a growth episode for Mimey so it can improve its bravery in battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.