• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

July 28th: SM132 - Overcome Junaiper!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsRight

Let's be fair here people. Ash has spent the whole series taking part in non-battle competitions where he failed miserably while the others got to show their potential. He was due ONE big role reversal to even it out.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
That cosplay is just deliberate trolling on the writer's pet -.-
Not cute at all....

1v1 sucks, that means Torracat really is going to be restricted to fighting the Alolan Stu's Incineroar....
Lycanroc and Pikachu are obvious who Ash'll use against Gladion and Guzma. Not only are they the glory hogs, but they need their revenge

Legit the most exciting part of next round! The writer's pet needs to be put down several pegs...
Again, you don't seem to understand what a writer's pet is. Mallow is far closer to a writer's pet than Lana, since she had her evolutions handed to her without training, while Lana's whole thing is beating Kiawe in things that aren't battles. Nor do you understand who actually needs to be knocked down several pegs, i.e., Guzma, who constantly boasts about his own strength despite the fact that Pikachu had clearly knocked Golisopod's HP down to at least 50% with just a few moves. Nor do you understand what a Mary Sue is, as Kukui sure as heck isn't one.

DatsRight

Mallow however they at least set up for a big fall with all her lack of training, since she ended up humiliated in the league.

To be fair, he was the runner-up of the Pancake Race while all the other classmates were eliminated very early.

There were odd times he pulled through I admit (the ninja gym was another one, if only because he accidentally screwed over Lana) but Ash was clearly the most recurrent butt monkey and F student. Kiawe, Sophocles and Lillie were more balanced cases, sometimes doing well, but other times needing improvement or just failing miserably, while Mallow and Lana almost never failed without interference, the league pretty much being Mallow's defining taste of defeat.

Red and Blue

Since Shore is in the VA list I wonder if Lana will evolve it here? She could surprise the audience with Vaporeon next episode

Sham

The Guardian of War
Again, you don't seem to understand what a writer's pet is. Mallow is far closer to a writer's pet than Lana, since she had her evolutions handed to her without training, while Lana's whole thing is beating Kiawe in things that aren't battles. Nor do you understand who actually needs to be knocked down several pegs, i.e., Guzma, who constantly boasts about his own strength despite the fact that Pikachu had clearly knocked Golisopod's HP down to at least 50% with just a few moves. Nor do you understand what a Mary Sue is, as Kukui sure as heck isn't one.
Nope. Not buying it, not even for sale. Mallow’s evolutions made WAY more sense than Lana’s. At least Mallow’s evolution made sense from a game mechanical stand point. You mean to tell me people are out here battling to evolve their Pokémon and the solution all along was to blow bubbles? Yeah I’ll be waiting for Guzma to destroy Lana next episode.

Since Shore is in the VA list I wonder if Lana will evolve it here? She could surprise the audience with Vaporeon next episode
Shore? Is that what it’s called in the dub?

ShadowForce720

Nope. Not buying it, not even for sale. Mallow’s evolutions made WAY more sense than Lana’s. At least Mallow’s evolution made sense from a game mechanical stand point. You mean to tell me people are out here battling to evolve their Pokémon and the solution all along was to blow bubbles? Yeah I’ll be waiting for Guzma to destroy Lana next episode.

Shore? Is that what it’s called in the dub?

This isn't the games, the thing you and some other people seem to be forgetting is that this is a effecting breath world, just because in the games the main way to gain exp is by battling doesn't mean it's the only way to gain it in the anime, sure in the anime pokemon can get stronger and evolve through battling a lot however there are also ways for a pokemon to get stronger and evolve besides battling, for instance no matter how you try to argue it Lana and Popplio were training for a long time to make Popplio's Bubble stronger and bigger and regardless of whether or not you like it that still counts as training just a different type, so yes it makes sense that given it's been doing that since prior to the series that it would eventually be able to evolve into Brionne.

Also considering that Lana and her Popplio have been more active then Mallow and her Bounsweet so no, Mallow's evolutions don't make more sense then Lana's considering Mallow didn't really do much. It's funny you talk about battling but no matter how you try to argue it while it's true Lana hasn't been as active in battling as Kiawe and Ash have, however that being said it's pretty clear that she's definitely a more active battler then Mallow. Look I can understand that maybe you like Mallow and prefer Mallow over Lana, however that does not mean you try to downplay Lana and act like somehow Mallow's evolution were somehow more earned then Lana's.

Sham

The Guardian of War
This isn't the games, the thing you and some other people seem to be forgetting is that this is a effecting breath world, just because in the games the main way to gain exp is by battling doesn't mean it's the only way to gain it in the anime, sure in the anime pokemon can get stronger and evolve through battling a lot however there are also ways for a pokemon to get stronger and evolve besides battling, for instance no matter how you try to argue it Lana and Popplio were training for a long time to make Popplio's Bubble stronger and bigger and regardless of whether or not you like it that still counts as training just a different type, so yes it makes sense that given it's been doing that since prior to the series that it would eventually be able to evolve into Brionne.

Also considering that Lana and her Popplio have been more active then Mallow and her Bounsweet so no, Mallow's evolutions don't make more sense then Lana's considering Mallow didn't really do much. It's funny you talk about battling but no matter how you try to argue it while it's true Lana hasn't been as active in battling as Kiawe and Ash have, however that being said it's pretty clear that she's definitely a more active battler then Mallow. Look I can understand that maybe you like Mallow and prefer Mallow over Lana, however that does not mean you try to downplay Lana and act like somehow Mallow's evolution were somehow more earned then Lana's.
Actually the evolution contradicts the anime itself not just the games. What is the point of battling (besides competition) if you can get stronger by something as simple as blowing bubbles? It’s funny because even the writers know it’s BS as they had Lillie and Mallow question her “training” during the Poni arc. Singing and blowing bubbles qualifies someone for a league now? While Ash has been breaking his back in trial battles? Also please run me Lana’s battle resume. Not including that ONE totem battle how many battles have she’s been in more than Mallow? I’ll be waiting for that answer. As @DatsRight has pointed out the bubble dream was treated nothing more than a gag (which is fine) this becomes a problem when you go in over your head (the writers) and think that it warrants a strong trainer. Little focus was placed on it and actual training (as far as practicing moves and battling) was done off screen. I think Mallow is just as trash as Lana FYI. My beef with this is the fact you wrote (the writers) two character nearly identical (in terms of strength) but one is regarded as weak while the other is treated as some super sayian trainer. You can’t make it make it sense.

ShadowForce720

Besides that ONE totem battle please explain how Lana and Primarina have been more active than Mallow’s Tsareena? I’m willing to hear all the battles Lana has been in. No the problem I have with the bubble dream is as @DatsRight has said it was treated like a gag for the longest time and little to no attention was paid to it and suddenly that warrants an evolution? That evolution doesn’t just contradict the games, it contradicts the anime. What is the point of battling (besides competitions) if you can get stronger by something as random as blowing bubbles? Anyway I’m going to wait for you to run me an active list of battles Lana has participated in to show “she’s an active battler who deserved her evolution”. The funny thing is the writers even know Lana’s training is BS because they had Mallow and Lillie question it during the Poni arc.

Yes Lana is a more active battler then Mallow, considering she has been more hyped to battle for instance we've seen her express interest in wanting to battle in a Battle Royal and fight the Masked Royal, heck when Viren's men were interfering with the match that Masked Royal and Ash was in Lana alongside Kiawe ran down to stop them. Also Lana has more heck Lana actively tried to defend Eevee when it was under attack by Team Skull.

Look just because you don't like the training doesn't make it BS, nor does contradict the anime as it's been established through showing other evolution that battling isn't the only way for a pokemon to evolve. If you payed attention you know it wasn't easy for Popplio to make it's bubbles bigger and stronger and it had to train.

Also Bounsweet in the games evolves through just pure level up to 18, now tell me what on earth did Bounsweet do that earned it the ability to evolve in episode 18? I mean it's funny you try to exclude the totem battle because it doesn't fit with your argument, but let's look her Lana had to actually go through a struggle against Totem Wishiwashi with her Popplio to get her Z-crystal.

Look I'm not saying that Lana is as strong as Ash or Kiawe, however if you want to talk about qualifying for the league what did Mallow do? hmm

Sham

The Guardian of War
Yes Lana is a more active battler then Mallow, considering she has been more hyped to battle for instance we've seen her express interest in wanting to battle in a Battle Royal and fight the Masked Royal, heck when Viren's men were interfering with the match that Masked Royal and Ash was in Lana alongside Kiawe ran down to stop them. Also Lana has more heck Lana actively tried to defend Eevee when it was under attack by Team Skull.

Look just because you don't like the training doesn't make it BS, nor does contradict the anime as it's been established through showing other evolution that battling isn't the only way for a pokemon to evolve. If you payed attention you know it wasn't easy for Popplio to make it's bubbles bigger and stronger and it had to train.

Also Bounsweet in the games evolves through just pure level up to 18, now tell me what on earth did Bounsweet do that earned it the ability to evolve in episode 18? I mean it's funny you try to exclude the totem battle because it doesn't fit with your argument, but let's look her Lana had to actually go through a struggle against Totem Wishiwashi with her Popplio to get her Z-crystal.

Look I'm not saying that Lana is as strong as Ash or Kiawe, however if you want to talk about qualifying for the league what did Mallow do? hmm
....Those still aren’t battles.... and I don’t why you’re using Mallow as a crutch for your argument because I literally just said they’re both trash. I excused Bounsweet’s evolution because usually early stages of three stage evolutions get handed evolutions (see May’s Torchic). The problem is it happened twice for Lana. The second evolution of Tsareena literally just took her learning a move (no battling needed). If you want to include that one Totem battle you can have it. The fact remains that she has that one more battle over Mallow’s head.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I'm glad that the second round will at least start here and not in the next episode. We'll at least see Gladion vs James completely and then start Ash vs Hau.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
....Those still aren’t battles.... and I don’t why you’re using Mallow as a crutch for your argument because I literally just said they’re both trash. I excused Bounsweet’s evolution because usually early stages of three stage evolutions get handed evolutions (see May’s Torchic). The problem is it happened twice for Lana. The second evolution of Tsareena literally just took her learning a move (no battling needed). If you want to include that one Totem battle you can have it. The fact remains that she has that one more battle over Mallow’s head.
Handed evolutions? No, Lana actually worked for hers. If anything, Popplio should have evolved back in episode 41 with the Dhelmise fight and its EP108 was long, long overdue. Can you even name an instance where Mallow was shown training onscreen before Bounsweet fully evolved? Denial doesn't change reality.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Handed evolutions? No, Lana actually worked for hers. If anything, Popplio should have evolved back in episode 41 with the Dhelmise fight and its EP108 was long, long overdue. Can you even name an instance where Mallow was shown training onscreen before Bounsweet fully evolved? Denial doesn't change reality.
How about the episode where Steenee was actually trying to master the Alola Hula? That was Steenee practicing a dance which resulted in her evolution (as pointed by Kukui). Steenee was trying to learn a new dance while also training to learn Stomp aided by Mallow. Your reality isn’t others reality, you know that right?

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
To be fair, that hula dance was heavily overrated in-universe. What's so complicated and critically acclaimed about constantly switching swaying your arms from one side to the other? Everyone praised the thing almost as the second coming of Arceus or something, it was silly. (Then again, the whole episode didn't really have any dances but just everyone fooling around.)

Sham

The Guardian of War
To be fair, that hula dance was heavily overrated in-universe. What's so complicated and critically acclaimed about constantly switching swaying your arms from one side to the other? Everyone praised the thing almost as the second coming of Arceus or something, it was silly. (Then again, the whole episode didn't really have any dances but just everyone fooling around.)
Yeah to anyone watching the show, the dance was horrible and that’s probably because they didn’t want to do advance dance moves since it wasn’t really relevant plot wise. Nonetheless the dance assisted her evolution and was trained for.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
I’m all for the cosplay, he looks cute and it seems like it’ll cause him some grief. Not sure how he’ll win this one, I’m hyped nonetheless!
He's wearing the cosplay so that it gets nailed to the ground via Spirit Shackle, which then opens up the opportunity to KO Decidueye

Can't believe that James vs Gladion is going to be a background battle, because the matches take place one after the other, which means Rowlet is going to speed-learn a move...

Took it five tries to get Seed Bomb right when it was learning that

Lightning Bolt

Actually the evolution contradicts the anime itself not just the games. What is the point of battling (besides competition) if you can get stronger by something as simple as blowing bubbles? It’s funny because even the writers know it’s BS as they had Lillie and Mallow question her “training” during the Poni arc. Singing and blowing bubbles qualifies someone for a league now? While Ash has been breaking his back in trial battles? Also please run me Lana’s battle resume. Not including that ONE totem battle how many battles have she’s been in more than Mallow? I’ll be waiting for that answer. As @DatsRight has pointed out the bubble dream was treated nothing more than a gag (which is fine) this becomes a problem when you go in over your head (the writers) and think that it warrants a strong trainer. Little focus was placed on it and actual training (as far as practicing moves and battling) was done off screen. I think Mallow is just as trash as Lana FYI. My beef with this is the fact you wrote (the writers) two character nearly identical (in terms of strength) but one is regarded as weak while the other is treated as some super sayian trainer. You can’t make it make it sense.
Blowing bubbles is the whole gimmick of the Popplio line. Popplio can use for both offensive and defensive moves. Lana spent hours training with Popplio just to make her bubbles as strong as Ida's bubbles were. She had trouble with Hydro Vortex but mastered it in a battle against Dhelmise. Since then Lana was shown training with Popplio several times. The vocal exercises were very importante considering her evolutionary ties to Primarina. Heck, even though they managed to pull off Oceanic Opereta at first try, Lana still trained to properly master Sparkling Aria just to make the Z-Move stronger. Steenee's training on other hand has nothing to do with Tsareena's traits. Since SM40 Lana has shown a string desire to make Popplio stronger, while Mallow just think battles are fun and that's all.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Blowing bubbles is the whole gimmick of the Popplio line. Popplio can use for both offensive and defensive moves. Lana spent hours training with Popplio just to make her bubbles as strong as Ida's bubbles were. She had trouble with Hydro Vortex but mastered it in a battle against Dhelmise. Since then Lana was shown training with Popplio several times. The vocal exercises were very importante considering her evolutionary ties to Primarina. Heck, even though they managed to pull off Oceanic Opereta at first try, Lana still trained to properly master Sparkling Aria just to make the Z-Move stronger. Steenee's training on other hand has nothing to do with Tsareena's traits. Since SM40 Lana has shown a string desire to make Popplio stronger, while Mallow just think battles are fun and that's all.
At this point I’m not even arguing for Mallow (she is terrible). What I’m arguing is she’s no better than Lana and vice versa. Literally four episodes were dedicated to Lana trying to blow bubbles and only one of them were completely about her. The first episode was “Yo Ho, Ho Popplio” where it was focused on a decent amount but took a back seat the classmates fishing trip, the next episode was “They Might Not Be Giants” where it was not the main focus and was really about the starters about to be stolen by Team Rocket, “Ballons, Brionne and Belligerence” was it’s really focused episode concerning training and finally “Evolving Research” where Lana apparently trained all night off screen for Ida and the episode was literally split for Sophocles and Vikavolt. When you break each episode down, they’re reduced to either offscreen training or minor actual onscreen training. She was never shown training for Oceanic Operetta? She randomly revealed she knew how to do it in SM123.

Last edited:

Master Pikachu 11

At this point I’m not even arguing for Mallow (she is terrible). What I’m arguing is she’s no better than Lana and vice versa. Literally four episodes were dedicated to Lana trying to blow bubbles and only one of them were completely about her. The first episode was “Yo Ho, Ho Popplio” where it was focused on a decent amount but took a back seat the classmates fishing trip, the next episode was “They Might Not Be Giants” where it was not the main focus and was really about the starters about to be stolen by Team Rocket, “Ballons, Brionne and Belligerence” was it’s really focused episode concerning training and finally “Evolving Research” where Lana apparently trained all night off screen for Ida and the episode was literally split for Sophocles and Vikavolt. When you break each episode down, they’re reduced to either offscreen training or minor actual onscreen training.
Popplio and her successfully defeated Totem Wishiwashi, they also followed that up by mastering their z move and defeating Dhelmise. I consider both of those more of a accomplishment then Mallow who battled TR to get her evolutions for bounsweet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.