• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

July 28th: XY&Z035 - Fierce Rival Battle! Ash Greninja VS Mega Sceptile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Don't you know? He's going off the assumption that Alain will win, thus a 6-1 victory is good for Alain, but a 6-4 victory is wrong for Ash. He isn't Arceus after all, geez!

I know he isn't but Ash isn't Arceus either. The battle with Remo is not as important as Ash battling him or Sawyer so Alain winning against Remo was alright.

Illusio

No words, only rage
Where am I making him out as invincible? If anything, you're underselling Noivern. I hardly put much stock in a win/lose ratio. Keep in mind, Noivern had ineffective attacks against Metang and still nearly won according to Alain, himself. Further, losing to Clawitzer after 1) taking damage from Doublade and 2) getting hit by a Mega Launcher boosted Dragon Pulse (supereffective) kind of shows that it can take punishment. If we put all stock in win/lose ratio then Goodra should replace Charizard on an all-star team despite it only having two battles under its belt. In my opinion, I go by battle overall. So, technically Noivern has a 1-1 to me.

Which is why I also mentioned the number of battles for it. The fact of the matter is he has had a low number of battles on top of a higher loss ratio, with his only one win not being nearly as big as Luxray for Goodra or Articuno for Charizard. Noivern's performance is not nearly that good and it's currently the weakest of Ash's Kalos team, I wish that i didn't have ti say that for him and he was doing better as I like him, but he's not at a point where I'd rate him highly.

Also, why are you not counting Clawitzer? No one ignores Pikachu's loss to Lucario because he was weakened, so why does it not count for Noivern? Plus, it's not like Pokemon haven't won despite a weakened state, particularly with Ash's team, so shoving aside the loss because of that doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

DracoMaster121

Strategy Trainer
I know he isn't but Ash isn't Arceus either. The battle with Remo is not as important as Ash battling him or Sawyer so Alain winning against Remo was alright.

But Sawyer is shown as a protégé to Ash.
Therefore there should be a clear distinction that Ash is the more experienced trainer.

Epicocity

Which is why I also mentioned the number of battles for it. The fact of the matter is he has had a low number of battles on top of a higher loss ratio, with his only one win not being nearly as big as Luxray for Goodra or Articuno for Charizard. Noivern's performance is not nearly that good and it's currently the weakest of Ash's Kalos team, I wish that he was doing better as I like him, but he's not at a point where I'd rate him highly.

Also, why are you counting Doublade, but not Clawitzer? No one ignores Pikachu's loss to Lucario because he was weakened, so why does it not count for Noivern? Plus, it's not like Pokemon haven't won despite a weakened state, particularly with Ash's team, so shoving aside the loss because of that doesn't make sense.

My own personal win/loss ratio. I never said it was the same as yours...I'm stating that there's a reason for Clawitzer taking out Noivern. If anything you're discounting the win against Doublade. Let's not forget all the ineffectiveness going on there...and Iron Defense. Yet it still won with a Dragon Claw. Sure, losing to Clawitzer may have made it lose, but it's hardly the same as going up against a Salamence with full strength. On that note: have we ever actually seen a Salamence battle in the League?

EDIT: We've only seen one Salamence under a trainer...and it was Drake of the Hoenn E4. I don't think we can outright say Salamences are super powerful. Oh, wait, there was one under a coordinator...that hardly is the same.

Last edited:

Blazerz

I don't think it would make it less believable and he wouldn't beat Alain if Alain wins. I prefer 6-5 win than a 6-4.

I actually think it's less of a victory when Ash 1-0's him. Like it doesn't make sense to me, Ash beats Sawyer 1-0 then beats Alain 1-0 probably. Like what????
He should get 5-0/4-0'ed and have the same fate Remo had.

Btw if Sawyer battled against Remo who do you guys go for?

Illusio

No words, only rage
My own personal win/loss ratio. I never said it was the same as yours...I'm stating that there's a reason for Clawitzer taking out Noivern. If anything you're discounting the win against Doublade. Let's not forget all the ineffectiveness going on there...and Iron Defense. Yet it still won with a Dragon Claw. Sure, losing to Clawitzer may have made it lose, but it's hardly the same as going up against a Salamence with full strength. On that note: have we ever actually seen a Salamence battle in the League?

EDIT: We've only seen one Salamence under a trainer...and it was Drake of the Hoenn E4. I don't think we can outright say Salamences are super powerful. Oh, wait, there was one under a coordinator...that hardly is the same.

If I was discounting it, I'd be saying he had a 100 % loss record, but I never did. As I've said before, has a 1-2 win:loss ratio out of three battles, which is not impressive for the poor guy. I'm hoping this league goes more in his favor, but I'm not going to pretend he has the best of records going into it.

And you forgot Hunter J's, which was shown to be powerful enough to contest the Regis.

Epicocity

If I was discounting it, I'd be saying he had a 100 % loss record, but I never did. As I've said before, has a 1-2 win:loss ratio out of three battles, which is not impressive for the poor guy. I'm hoping this league goes more in his favor, but I'm not going to pretend he has the best of records going into it.

And you forgot Hunter J's, which was shown to be powerful enough to contest the Regis.

But wasn't an outright trainer battle. If we're talking Salamences that battled competitively and didn't try to kill 10-year olds, we only have Drake's to look at. All I'm saying is that Salamence, I get that it's a pseudo, but it's not invincible and certainly not against a dragon in an aerial battle whose primary type is actually flying. Let's also note that Ash has more or less been an expert at flying types and aerial battles since he kicked the crap out of Pokeringer in 2 seperate regions.

Illusio

No words, only rage
But wasn't an outright trainer battle. If we're talking Salamences that battled competitively and didn't try to kill 10-year olds, we only have Drake's to look at. All I'm saying is that Salamence, I get that it's a pseudo, but it's not invincible and certainly not against a dragon in an aerial battle whose primary type is actually flying. Let's also note that Ash has more or less been an expert at flying types and aerial battles since he kicked the crap out of Pokeringer in 2 seperate regions.

Speaking strictly battles, I agree, but that does show that the species as a whole has been played up to be powerful, just like how Cynthia's Garchomp is shown having impressive feats outside of battle. Salamence's big thing is also that it achieves flight, so it is a crucial part of the Pokemon.

I do agree that Ash has good aerial experience, but (as a consequence of us barely seeing him train it) we don't know the full extent of Sawyer's aerie experience, so it could match Ash's in that regard (as far as the region's concerned of course).

nameman

I actually think it's less of a victory when Ash 1-0's him. Like it doesn't make sense to me, Ash beats Sawyer 1-0 then beats Alain 1-0 probably. Like what????
He should get 5-0/4-0'ed and have the same fate Remo had.

Btw if Sawyer battled against Remo who do you guys go for?

If we go by team development, then Shota would take it. Remo has the experience edge however and is actually a pretty good trainer. I would say it could actually go either way.

ZettaSlowKing

If Ash beats Sawyer by a slight margin and then goes to fight toe to toe with Alain, I can at least sort of see why.

Sawyer has studied Ash even since their first battle. So it makes sense that Sawyer knows how to counter Ash and give him a harder time as we saw with Slaking's (no pun intended) Counter strategy that was made for aggressive attacking types like Ash. Clawitzer's Aqua Jet negating it's and Talonflames speed difference, and Aegislash using Sacred Sword to cut down trees also limited Ash's ability to think outside the box. Its just like when battling in the games, really; You might be the more skilled player, but if your opponents team/strategy counters yours you can still find yourself outmatched.

Alain on the other hand wants to battle Ash to face Greninja again, as well as get Mega Evolution energy. He probably has minimal interest in Ash's team prior to the battle.
He's not trying to counter Ash as much as prove his strength.

Last edited:

Epicocity

Speaking strictly battles, I agree, but that does show that the species as a whole has been played up to be powerful, just like how Cynthia's Garchomp is shown having impressive feats outside of battle. Salamence's big thing is also that it achieves flight, so it is a crucial part of the Pokemon.

I do agree that Ash has good aerial experience, but (as a consequence of us barely seeing him train it) we don't know the full extent of Sawyer's aerie experience, so it could match Ash's in that regard (as far as the region's concerned of course).

All right, let's just agree that both Noivern and Salamence have no good pool of battles on screen (but obviously battle off it in both cases) and that we can't properly determine the winner until next Thursday.

The only thing I will disagree with is Sawyer having comparable aerial experience. Ash's three flyers (fine, 2 1/2) contest that.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
All right, let's just agree that both Noivern and Salamence have no good pool of battles on screen (but obviously battle off it in both cases) and that we can't properly determine the winner until next Thursday.

The only thing I will disagree with is Sawyer having comparable aerial experience. Ash's three flyers (fine, 2 1/2) contest that.

Ash has aerial experience of 6 regions with multiple flying types at hand and enough expertise to FREAKING TUTOR AERIAL ACE TO KROKODILE!

It's hard to say Ash doesn't have aerial expertise.

ManishB15

Ash winning against Sawyer 5-6 is just plain bull. Even if Sawyer's team is specifically built to counter Ash's team there is no way he can compete when it comes to experience. It's fine for Alan to win 6-1 apparently, but not for Ash to have a solid victory against a rookie trainer... It would make no sense for Ash to be able to compete with SuperZardAlan in the finals if Ash's victory in the Semi-Finals is not dominant.

ash_greninja_pain_meme_4_by_42dannybob-d9qzzb7.jpg

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Ash winning against Sawyer 5-6 is just plain bull. Even if Sawyer's team is specifically built to counter Ash's team there is no way he can compete when it comes to experience. It's fine for Alan to win 6-1 apparently, but not for Ash to have a solid victory against a rookie trainer... It would make no sense for Ash to be able to compete with SuperZardAlan in the finals if Ash's victory in the Semi-Finals is not dominant.

View attachment 15794

No it isn't. It would be the perfect way of creating tension for the battle. Ash winning 6 - 4 is just too much because that makes him look overpowered.

shac

Now I am curious to know who wins in a match up of Sawyer and Remo. I would like to say Sawyer, but then Remo is no push-over with that team oh his. If these two were to battle I wonder how close of a battle that would be...

Status
Not open for further replies.